Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM

31 posts, read 68,274 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have recently graduated college and are looking in the same field. Unfortunately, it is kind of a limited field in the area we live in, so we have been interviewing at a lot of the same places. Both of us got offered positions with the same organization last week. The position, pay, benefits, atmosphere are all amazing and more than we expected.

My question is, do you think the organization will have a problem with us being a couple? We have been together for years, live together, have worked together before, and marriage is in the near future. I have heard that revealing personal issues during the interview process is taboo, so I haven't said anything about it yet. Should I? Will it cause any problems if I don't?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,061,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpegg0 View Post
My question is, do you think the organization will have a problem with us being a couple? We have been together for years, live together, have worked together before, and marriage is in the near future. I have heard that revealing personal issues during the interview process is taboo, so I haven't said anything about it yet. Should I? Will it cause any problems if I don't?
Employers cannot legally discriminate in terms of one's marital status, but they are free to mandate a no-dating policy or a no-spouse policy in the workplace.

A second issue is that your relationship has not been formalized, i.e., you are not engaged or married. To conservative employers, this sounds temporary. Stories abound of on-the-job relationships that go bad and make the job environment uncomfortable, and one person usually ends up quitting and costing the employer an employee.

Imagine you both being interviewed by the same person, and you two said nothing. When the truth was found out, you would be seen as untrustworthy. And your emergency contact person will be...? It WILL come out.

Some companies, however, have a nepotism attitude and figure you would both try to be very good employees because you would be doubly dependent on the company.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,232 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I have recently graduated college and are looking in the same field. Unfortunately, it is kind of a limited field in the area we live in, so we have been interviewing at a lot of the same places. Both of us got offered positions with the same organization last week. The position, pay, benefits, atmosphere are all amazing and more than we expected.

Thanks!
Keep details of your personal life out of interviews as much as possible and keep everything as professional as you can. Your goal is to get the job, not bring up reasons why they should not hire you or your boyfriend.

Some medium-sized and larger companies typically have policies in place about related people working at the same company or same department. Family relations usually being spousal, sibling, parent, children, etc.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Keep details of your personal life out of interviews as much as possible and keep everything as professional as you can. Your goal is to get the job, not bring up reasons why they should not hire you or your boyfriend.

Some medium-sized and larger companies typically have policies in place about related people working at the same company or same department. Family relations usually being spousal, sibling, parent, children, etc.
I disagree for precisely the reasons in your second paragraph. The OP says that, "marriage is in the near future" and, if the company does have a familial policy such as that which you describe, this could be a real problem if their relationship isn't divulged. I don't think the situation requires any major headline banners or blowing trumpets but do think it should be mentioned.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I disagree for precisely the reasons in your second paragraph. The OP says that, "marriage is in the near future" and, if the company does have a familial policy such as that which you describe, this could be a real problem if their relationship isn't divulged. I don't think the situation requires any major headline banners or blowing trumpets but do think it should be mentioned.
Point is well taken, the OP could ask about what their policy of hiring family members and see if it is an issue or not, hopefully not. I reread the original post and yes, I agree with you: I think their living situation should be mentioned now that they have offers. I should have clarified more in my earlier post about that. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Point is well taken, the OP could ask about what their policy of hiring family members and see if it is an issue or not, hopefully not. I reread the original post and yes, I agree with you: I think their living situation should be mentioned now that they have offers. I should have clarified more in my earlier post about that. Thanks.
Thanks everyone. I would hate for either of us to get in trouble in any way, because we are both depending on these incoming salaries. The organization is not very big, so I'm hoping they will not have a problem with it. Would it be better if I presented our status as engaged?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I would hate for either of us to get in trouble in any way, because we are both depending on these incoming salaries. The organization is not very big, so I'm hoping they will not have a problem with it. Would it be better if I presented our status as engaged?
Why not tell the truth?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Even though we have been together for years, "engagement" might make us sound more permanent to HR.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Quote:
Even though we have been together for years, "engagement" might make us sound more permanent to HR.
And for all you know that may make it worse.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM

15,876 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Your actions would result in BOTH of you being fired at my office, unless you worked in completely different departments. We do have a mother-daughter pair on our floor, but they work in different parts of the same department and they were grandfathered in because the mother had been working there for 30 years. Significant others are explicitly banned in the handbook - see if you can get a copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment