Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM

326 posts, read 479,187 times

Advertisements

I personally like my coworkers. I'll actually be inviting a couple of them to my college graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM

602 posts, read 1,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Be honest, do you really like/enjoy your coworkers? Are you close friends with any of them? How is the work environment?

My situation's a tad different. I'm the only person of my job title at my workplace, so there's the people I see daily whose jobs don't intervene with mine. There could be days I could be in my office & not interact with any other adults, except when I happen to see them in passing. At lunch time, I've always just stayed in my room. I'm not friends with any of them, they're not the nicest people anyway.

Then, once a month, I have these meetings to go to where a group of us of the same job title meet to talk about various issues on the job. Now these are the nastiest bunch of ladies I've ever met...alll on their high horses for whatever reason. I'm a newbie at the job (2nd year), but have known these ladies for years from doing other job duties. If you are with any of them one-on-one with no one else around, they're quite pleasant. I can have nice conversations, even went to lunch a few times w/ a few during our lunch breaks. But if I see these ladies as a whole group together, they don't speak to me at all or might mumble a "hi" if we happen to be close enough in passing. I think it's very strange, but that's how they are. I can't do anything about it. There's one who's even worse than the others. She doesn't even know me personally, but will totally ignore we, have zero eye contact, etc.

Oh well, what can you do. I'm there to put on a smile, do a job & earn a living...not try to be in ther cliques.

Continue to keep your distance from them, they're some timing. You're just as special as them. When you do get some cool friends, keep that circle VERY small.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,446,920 times
At my old job, I was the new guy in town. So we had a small group of guys that would go out for happy hours and catch the occasional sporting event. They became pretty good pals.

At my present job, it's quite different. I'm indifferent towards most of them. One guy gets on my nerves repeatedly over his dramatic antics. He's a 53 year old male drama queen and he let's everyone know it. I am sort of close with one guy, but even that relationship is more on the level of close acquaintance.

I think people are feeling more and more insecure about their roles, thus illuminating the competitive nature within. People don't know who's going to rat them out anymore. Therefore, I've learned my lesson that it's probably best not to get too close with people in the workplace unless there are some exceptional circumstances like you work with family or your best friend.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM

238 posts, read 316,283 times
I've known my coworkers for years, and on occasion, I may do lunch or attend some function (birthday party/wedding) but they are few and far between. I primarily keep my work relationships at work, and my personal relationships outside of work. I try not to mix business with pleasure and as my mother always said "I came to make a dollar, not a friend".

Of course this translates into being cordial with others, but not overtly personal....

Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,561,418 times
I've been here for 12 years now.
I work in a office of 22 people...95% of them are women.

I actually like 6 people but socialize with none of them.

Now, our agency has 2500+ employees and I socialize with more outside out section.

Like Gregg....I don't play into office politics, I don't care who works 5 more minutes than someone else, don't care, if someone got more attention than someone else. In other words I don't do drama.

I blame management and I'll never work in a office full of women again.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,365,692 times
I get along fine with my coworkers, but sometimes they can be annoying.

We have an FNG who just started last week. He eats lunch at his desk, which wouldn't bother me except for the fact that he chews with his mouth open and makes smacking noises.

Ugh.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM

926 posts, read 1,259,093 times
Quote:
Be honest, do you really like/enjoy your coworkers? Are you close friends with any of them? How is the work environment?

My situation's a tad different. I'm the only person of my job title at my workplace, so there's the people I see daily whose jobs don't intervene with mine. There could be days I could be in my office & not interact with any other adults, except when I happen to see them in passing. At lunch time, I've always just stayed in my room. I'm not friends with any of them, they're not the nicest people anyway.

Then, once a month, I have these meetings to go to where a group of us of the same job title meet to talk about various issues on the job. Now these are the nastiest bunch of ladies I've ever met...alll on their high horses for whatever reason. I'm a newbie at the job (2nd year), but have known these ladies for years from doing other job duties. If you are with any of them one-on-one with no one else around, they're quite pleasant. I can have nice conversations, even went to lunch a few times w/ a few during our lunch breaks. But if I see these ladies as a whole group together, they don't speak to me at all or might mumble a "hi" if we happen to be close enough in passing. I think it's very strange, but that's how they are. I can't do anything about it. There's one who's even worse than the others. She doesn't even know me personally, but will totally ignore we, have zero eye contact, etc.

Oh well, what can you do. I'm there to put on a smile, do a job & earn a living...not try to be in ther cliques.
Idk, I'm not seeing a problem here. If all you're dealing with is the clique' that may or may not speak consider yourself lucky. You're not interacting with them everyday. You don't have to deal with being lied on, undermined, or backstabbed.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM

12,795 posts, read 15,062,514 times
I think the only way I'd be the one with the friends at work is maybe if there was a new facility in which myself & others were the first & therefore original employees, so we're all new on the job, not just me. Then, maybe, just maybe, it would be better that way.

But, in my line of work, there's no way they're building any new facilities any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
Continue to keep your distance from them, they're some timing. You're just as special as them. When you do get some cool friends, keep that circle VERY small.
Thanks for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Idk, I'm not seeing a problem here. If all you're dealing with is the clique' that may or may not speak consider yourself lucky. You're not interacting with them everyday. You don't have to deal with being lied on, undermined, or backstabbed.
Yeah, I'm SO incredibly glad I don't have to see these *******' fake mugs M-F! At least I only see them once a month & even that's way too much!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM

602 posts, read 1,077,788 times
Quote:

You welcome!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM

868 posts, read 1,123,841 times
My coworkers are morons, especially the Beaker sounding, mouse tapping, jewelry clanging, arse kissing, smelly hand lotion cream wearer who sits next to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment