Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,019,382 times

Advertisements

Garfunkle, unfortunately EVERY job I've ever been at seems to prefer the beautiful/popular people, and I'm doing my BEST to be one of them. I'm not ugly but I do have some spare pounds, that I have been losing (for myself) anyways. I have always been a hard worker, but passed up on multiple occasions because I wasn't the bosses poker buddy or the cute blonde haired and blue eyed girl! SO FRUSTRATING.

I have no idea why I put "clean" as I always wear clean clothes lol. I don't wear saggy or too tight or anything, I think my attire before was fine, but just not as professional as it could be. Also part of it was because I couldn't afford very nice clothes, I went thrift store shopping and got some amazing deals on high end clothing, I bought enough clothes to last me 2-3 weeks without repeating and spent less than $100 for it all.

Today I was told that some days it's better to wear "crappy" clothes, even though my clothing was fine, now and then they have days where they use bleach to clean surfaces. I decided to bring a pair of old jeans and a shirt to use those days, I'll just change my clothes to protect the good ones.

I also don't normally wear makeup but for this job I will. This is a fabulous company that I want to retire from!

I took it as a good sign that I was invited to sit with some of the girls at lunch AND invited to go out to happy hour next time they go. Of course I said yes to both and had some great conversation at lunch today.

Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by people in my age group (late 20s/early 30s) but I feel good about this job.

Oh and already the boss told me after I've trained up he plans on making me a supervisor, I'm ecstatic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Schmoozing is not the way to get ahead, as long as people are aware of you, your performance is the important thing. Just don't be a wallflower at meetings, and when introduced remember names and use them when you pass people in the hall. If you are in a position where you can find and correct past errors, or come up with process improvements that save them money, go for it. Don't go bragging about it, just make sure to present the hard numbers during your performance reviews.
This. It is less about "schmoozing" or "kissing butt" - and more about having at least some level of social interaction with those that you work with. This can be done (even outside the office) on a professional level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment