Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM

31 posts, read 68,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why? What's wrong with a psy.d?
A Psy.D. Is offered at some locations as a less research based degree. It's all about the counseling practice. A Ph.D is very research based.

With just a bachelor you will be able to find a job, especially with the sate, but it won't be very high paying. I strongly suggest going to graduate school for at least a masters and obtaining your LPC license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,204,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpegg0 View Post
A Psy.D. Is offered at some locations as a less research based degree. It's all about the counseling practice. A Ph.D is very research based.

With just a bachelor you will be able to find a job, especially with the sate, but it won't be very high paying. I strongly suggest going to graduate school for at least a masters and obtaining your LPC license.
Yes, but as far as I know a Psy.D. will allow you to make a good living. dnvrsoul ruled it out and said that you need a Ph.D. in order to do so. I was asking [disagreeably] why?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM

5,343 posts, read 6,182,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, but as far as I know a Psy.D. will allow you to make a good living. dnvrsoul ruled it out and said that you need a Ph.D. in order to do so. I was asking [disagreeably] why?
I am in another area of psychology, but the from what I understand the PsyD is typically offered at universities with poor funding and or at professional schools. There are a few programs that are considered top notch and offer funding (I think Rutgers may be one, but again this isn't my area). Those programs are considered quality, but PsyDs are still looked upon somewhat less favorably than PhDs, I am not exactly sure why, but that is the general impression I have taken away from the psychology section of studentdoctor.

The general notion in psychology is if they can't offer you full tuition remission and a livable stipend the school does not have the funding to offer you a quality education. There are very few PsyD programs that offer both of those and thus the general hesitancy. Again that is not true for all, but for most it is.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM

156 posts, read 313,768 times
Switch majors NOW

It's not that a psych degree isn't versatile ...

It's just that it teachers you no employable skills unless you want to become a doctor or counsulor....which you may decide sucks anyway(I've met a few).

Some career fields do not transition well....and I've found out that corporate America gives no brownie points for unrelated job skills....

Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,967,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I'm going for my B.A. in Psychology once I go back to school in August. But, I want to know a couple of things about this degree...

1)Is today's economy hiring enough people with psychology degrees?
2)After getting my undergrad should I continue to my grad?
3)Are there good jobs for psychology undergrads/grads?
4) Is it worth it?
1) No. A Psych BS/BA is considered one of those soft degrees that doesn't really prepare someone for anything in particular. Depending on where you live, you may or may not find a job, but it will probably not be one that you like, and it will almost certainly not be in your field.

2) Psych is one of those degrees where you need to know going into it that a bachelor's isn't going to get you very far. You need to plan on getting a graduate degree. My field was the same way and I never for a moment considered not getting a Master's because I knew I would never get a job.

3) Maybe for grads but not for undergrads. The people I know who stopped in Psych with just a bachelors are working as waiters, baristas or in book stores.

4) I don't know enough about the field to say if it is for grads, but it almost certainly isn't just for an undergrad. I would suspect it is probably competitive even for people with MA's.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM

757 posts, read 1,105,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post
Switch majors NOW

It's not that a psych degree isn't versatile ...

It's just that it teachers you no employable skills unless you want to become a doctor or counsulor....which you may decide sucks anyway(I've met a few).

Some career fields do not transition well....and I've found out that corporate America gives no brownie points for unrelated job skills....
I don't want to switch, I just want to know if I can go for an MSW with a BA in Pysch.
According to the majority who have answered , I guessing I can not do that.
I looked up the salary earned by someone who is an MSW and they earn a median income of $56,000, and only about 10% or 20% make less than that (maybe wrong what that's what i'm finding online).
I'm feeling that a MSW would be faster to finish, and will get me going faster. But, this is the problem im not sure. You guys are telling me to go for a ph.D just to make a decent wage. I don't know if I want to go that far, too much schooling, too much time.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
1) No. A Psych BS/BA is considered one of those soft degrees that doesn't really prepare someone for anything in particular. Depending on where you live, you may or may not find a job, but it will probably not be one that you like, and it will almost certainly not be in your field.

2) Psych is one of those degrees where you need to know going into it that a bachelor's isn't going to get you very far. You need to plan on getting a graduate degree. My field was the same way and I never for a moment considered not getting a Master's because I knew I would never get a job.

3) Maybe for grads but not for undergrads. The people I know who stopped in Psych with just a bachelors are working as waiters, baristas or in book stores.

4) I don't know enough about the field to say if it is for grads, but it almost certainly isn't just for an undergrad. I would suspect it is probably competitive even for people with MA's.
That seriously sucks because i'm not going to major in anything else, I don't like anything else. I guess I gotta go all the way with this thing.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
That seriously sucks because i'm not going to major in anything else, I don't like anything else. I guess I gotta go all the way with this thing.
If Psych is your passion, then you can make it work. You just need to research what the requirements are for jobs and understand going in that you will be in school for longer than someone majoring in something very specific and/or technical like nursing or engineering.

Also, if Psych is like other majors (and I would assume it is), gaining work experience in the form of internships is just as, if not more, important than your academic classes. I can't stress enough the disadvantage people who don't go for internships put themselves in. Unfortunately, many (if not most) of these are unpaid, but it is ultimately the price that has to be paid in order to get a decent job in your field of choice.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
If Psych is your passion, then you can make it work. You just need to research what the requirements are for jobs and understand going in that you will be in school for longer than someone majoring in something very specific and/or technical like nursing or engineering.

Also, if Psych is like other majors (and I would assume it is), gaining work experience in the form of internships is just as, if not more, important than your academic classes. I can't stress enough the disadvantage people who don't go for internships put themselves in. Unfortunately, many (if not most) of these are unpaid, but it is ultimately the price that has to be paid in order to get a decent job in your field of choice.
Do you know if instead of going for my B.A. in psych, that going for my MSW is a quicker path, and would set me up with a steady job sooner?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Do you know if instead of going for my B.A. in psych, that going for my MSW is a quicker path, and would set me up with a steady job sooner?
Sorry, I don't know enough about your field. I'm just going from my personal experiences in a field that, like Psych, almost always requires a Master's degree.

As a general rule of thumb when choosing and pursuing a career, the "quicker path" is usually not all that advisable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment