Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM

757 posts, read 1,107,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Sorry, I don't know enough about your field. I'm just going from my personal experiences in a field that, like Psych, almost always requires a Master's degree.

As a general rule of thumb when choosing and pursuing a career, the "quicker path" is usually not all that advisable.
I know, but i'm just a little discouraged about my age, where I live, and my future plans. Things don't look like they're going to work in my favor, but I suppose that is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,728,791 times
It all depends what you want to do. I initially got my B.S. in Psychology, then went on to grad school and got an M.S. in Developmental Psych. I started working on my PhD and then decided that I did not want to be a professor. So I switched gears and took my research background into the pharma industry. It has worked out quite well in my case.

That said, a B.A. / B.S. in psych is likely not going to lead to a terribly lucrative position. You're going to need to go to grad school and keep adding those initials.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
It all depends what you want to do. I initially got my B.S. in Psychology, then went on to grad school and got an M.S. in Developmental Psych. I started working on my PhD and then decided that I did not want to be a professor. So I switched gears and took my research background into the pharma industry. It has worked out quite well in my case.

That said, a B.A. / B.S. in psych is likely not going to lead to a terribly lucrative position. You're going to need to go to grad school and keep adding those initials.
I only want my Master's because I don't want to be a professor either, I just want to help adolescence kids deal with psychological issues. (Child development, clinical psychology, and school psychologist are probably the places for me).
It would depend what you consider a lucrative position? Like if you don't mind me asking, how much does someone in your line of work usually make?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,193,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I only want my Master's because I don't want to be a professor either, I just want to help adolescence kids deal with psychological issues. (Child development, clinical psychology, and school psychologist are probably the places for me).
It would depend what you consider a lucrative position? Like if you don't mind me asking, how much does someone in your line of work usually make?
All of those are likely to require PhDs. Child development is a sub-category of clinical psychology and most school psychologists require a PhD.

You might be able to work with kids with a master's but it would be under the supervision of someone with a PhD/PsyD.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
All of those are likely to require PhDs. Child development is a sub-category of clinical psychology and most school psychologists require a PhD.

You might be able to work with kids with a master's but it would be under the supervision of someone with a PhD/PsyD.
Maybe I should just get my B.A. in social work and go for my MSW or LCSW

Old 01-22-2013, 01:49 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,728,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post

In a school setting that may be true. But anyone can open up shop as a "counsellor" or a "therapist", regardless of their degree (as long as they are not misrepresenting their actual credentials).

Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,193,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
In a school setting that may be true. But anyone can open up shop as a "counsellor" or a "therapist", regardless of their degree (as long as they are not misrepresenting their actual credentials).
Yes, but it is often very difficult to collect from insurance companies if you are a "counselor" or a "therapist" without a PhD or PsyD.

I find it very difficult to believe many can support themselves on people paying for therapy and/or counseling in cash.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM

I think im just gonna go for my LCSW after my bachelors and become a psychotherapist

Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM

However, Idk if I'll have an open field with an LCSW, I can't really do much with that can I?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM

510 posts, read 909,363 times
You can absolutely earn an MSW after you get a BA in psychology. You will be prepared for the kind of job you want with an MSW. After a few years of clinical supervision after your MSW you can take the exam for an LCSW which will permit you to bill insurance if you want to do private practice. You do not need a PhD for this.
You can have a good career with an MSW. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment