Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM

96 posts, read 172,477 times

Advertisements

I went through this when I graduated from college.

I chose nursing and for the life of me, I got out of college and actually went to work and felt like I had no idea what I was doing or why I chose that field! It was like 6 months or more before I could figure out I actually liked taking care of people. I found it rewarding. And I liked the flexibility it offered me.

Now here I am 12 years later and so happy I stuck with it! After moving around and changing jobs and areas several times, I love my job! I do believe sometimes you have to change areas and fields in order to grow and become happier, fortunately nursing offered me a lot of options in this.

Good luck in your quest OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM

12,825 posts, read 15,122,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I enjoy my job, but what I enjoy most about it is all the time off I get. Seems I just came back from Christmas vacation, and in two months Easter break will be here. Two months after that - summer vacation!!!!!! (I work for a school district and get the whole summer off). I like the work very much (I'm a cafeteria cook), I like my co-workers and enjoy the kids, and I like the food, but having all that time off is the best part of the job.
Yep, same here. I work for a school district too. My post was a few posts above yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I have a pretty good-paying & interesting job. I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist. I'm very new at it, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it much more in a few more years when I really know my stuff because I'm still in school too.

I know I LOVE my work schedule, which most people would kill for: Tues - Fri, sometimes, Tues - Thurs 7:30 am - around 2:30pm. Sometimes I have meetings where I won't leave until 4:00pm. PLUS, I get all the school holidays off: 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for Thanksgiving, 1 week for Spring, & another total of a month in days off between Aug & May...PLUS, I still get a full 2 mos off every summer. Tell me if you can beat that!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,382,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I have a pretty good-paying & interesting job. I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist. I'm very new at it, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it much more in a few more years when I really know my stuff because I'm still in school too.

I know I LOVE my work schedule, which most people would kill for: Tues - Fri, sometimes, Tues - Thurs 7:30 am - around 2:30pm. Sometimes I have meetings where I won't leave until 4:00pm. PLUS, I get all the school holidays off: 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for Thanksgiving, 1 week for Spring, & another total of a month in days off between Aug & May...PLUS, I still get a full 2 mos off every summer. Tell me if you can beat that!
Isn't working for a school district great?!? I toiled in offices and cubicle farms for 30 years, but now I have other people in the kitchen to talk to - no quiet, stuffy environment here. We laugh, joke, and the work gets finished and the kids get fed. Not to mention the time I save primping every morning - I wear a hat and don't have to mess much with my hair - and no more manicures (we wear gloves, and nail polish is not permitted anyway). I've got a closet full of cute colorful wash n' wear scrubs - they are SO comfy compared to suits, skirts, dress pants and heels. Most days I start at 6:30, but since it's Friday (I just have to pan chicken patties and heat leftovers for ala carte), I start at 7:30. After serving and cleanup, I'll be out of there at 1:30 and home by 1:40 - with a big box of the leftovers they send us home with every Friday!!! Takes care of tonight's dinner. It was a short week - last Friday we were off for in-service, and then again Monday for MLK. Four day weekends are great!!!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,382,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
My friend works for the school district and it seems like every 2 weeks she's off for a week! LOL! Schools are closed for every single little holiday and there's always spring break, winter break, Easter break, Christmas break, not just that day but for like a week! LOL! Not to mention summer vacation! I would love a job schedule like that except I would miss the pay! If I could have that schedule and still get paid as if I were working then that would be cool.

Yes, not getting paid for that time off is a downer, but DH works for the same school district in a year-round capacity (he gets the health insurance benefits for both of us too), so it makes up for it. And he gets most of the days off at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter that I do, plus a couple of weeks during July. He really likes working there, as I do. Ten years ago, if anyone had told us we'd both be working for the same school district, I'd have said they were crazy.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,176,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
How many people actually enjoy what they do and make a comfortable enough living at it? I'm having a mini post graduation crisis as the reality of my choice of major has set in.
I love what I do, I make a decent living and in sales my income only goes up each month. I hate my boss, he's a jerk, he's threatened my job....but I've also learned more from him about sales in 6 months than I did in 6 years. I'm a much better sales person because of him, it's just stressful working for him.

Here's my advice to every young adult finishing school and trying to enter the workforce:

"You don't get the job you want right out of college, you don't get a job you will like. You get a job, you get the chance to work your butt off and prove to the employer that you have what it takes to do the job you DO want, well. You show them you're valuable and worth investment. If your current employer doesn't see it, you build your resume with accomplishments and experience so that another employer WILL see your value. My sister, as well as many other younger recent college grads think because they went to college they get the job they always wanted right out of school. It doesn't work like that. The ones who get it just start working a crap job, long hours, low pay, stressful....and then in a few years or 10 you finally get the job you want at the pay level you're happy with."

Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 AM

14 posts, read 11,148 times
Default two jobs at a time

Its a yes and no for the kind of job you are in, but most of all if having a hard time looking for a job if it does not fit to what kind of personality you are, we are oblige to take it, and try youre best to adopt the situation that best fits you but somehow, depends on our mood to perform the kind of job and you try to look forward if its for a long term or a short term type of work...

Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 AM

12,825 posts, read 15,122,323 times
Quote:
Yes, not getting paid for that time off is a downer...
Well, I don't know about other school district employees, but I get paid each month ALL year. We're given the option to break our paychecks up evenly, so we're not out of money all summer. Who wants to have no $ when you'e off from work?! Reall bummer!

Quote:
Isn't working for a school district great?!? I toiled in offices and cubicle farms for 30 years, but now I have other people in the kitchen to talk to - no quiet, stuffy environment here. We laugh, joke, and the work gets finished and the kids get fed. Not to mention the time I save primping every morning - I wear a hat and don't have to mess much with my hair - and no more manicures (we wear gloves, and nail polish is not permitted anyway). I've got a closet full of cute colorful wash n' wear scrubs - they are SO comfy compared to suits, skirts, dress pants and heels. Most days I start at 6:30, but since it's Friday (I just have to pan chicken patties and heat leftovers for ala carte), I start at 7:30. After serving and cleanup, I'll be out of there at 1:30 and home by 1:40 - with a big box of the leftovers they send us home with every Friday!!! Takes care of tonight's dinner. It was a short week - last Friday we were off for in-service, and then again Monday for MLK. Four day weekends are great!!!!!
OK, so you're one of the cafeteria ladies...great!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 AM

14 posts, read 11,148 times
i agree and ]most of my observations some were 'having atrouble to seek a job just to fulfill there needs and meet the expectations, its hard to adopt a new environment specially when youre not used to its very stressfull to live with the type of ambiance that you dont expect that much as a psychology to learn ;every ;aspect of life is very imprtant inorder to accept every challenges of life, you have to be proactive, for what life takes you for the win win effect,

Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,411,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
There are a lot of posts of this nature already on this forum. In general, most people seem to realize that a job is a way to earn money, nothing more, nothing less. That is how my job, at least. If they didn't pay me, I definitely would not do it. I don't particularly like or enjoy my job, but I need money in order to live my life and enjoy my time when I'm not working, so I do it.

If I were to win the lottery I would quit immediately. I think most people feel the same.
I wouldn't. I enjoy my work, I like my coworkers, and what else would I do with my day? I have no family and no hobbies. I actually look forward to Monday mornings. I can work from home 100% if I want to, but I don't. I come to the office. I guess I'm a freak.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,137,065 times
I like my job and I like my coworkers. It isn't what I want to do forever, but it's fine for now and I work for a big company with a lot of opportunity for advancement if I do well, so I am thankful for that. So many people hate their jobs and dread going to work. I'm glad I don't feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment