Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You do not qualify as a 1099 employee. The IRS is very specific in regards to what a 1099 employee is and you do not fit the profile.

Following are the 20-points that have been established:

1. Must the individual take instructions from your management staff regarding when, where, and how work is to be done?
2. Does the individual receive training from your company?
3. Is the success or continuation of your business somewhat dependent on the type of service provided by the individual?
4. Must the individual personally perform the contracted services?
5. Have you hired, supervised, or paid individuals to assist the worker in completing the project stated in the contract?
6. Is there a continuing relationship between your company and the individual?
7. Must the individual work set hours?
8. Is the individual required to work full time at your company?
9. Is the work performed on company premises?
10. Is the individual required to follow a set sequence or routine in the performance of his work?
11. Must the individual give you reports regarding his/her work?
12. Is the individual paid by the hour, week, or month?
13. Do you reimburse the individual for business/travel expenses?
14. Do you supply the individual with needed tools or materials?
15. Have you made a significant investment in facilities used by the individual to perform services?
16. Is the individual free from suffering a loss or realizing a profit based on his work?
17. Does the individual only perform services for your company?
18. Does the individual limit the availability of his services to the general public?
19. Do you have the right to discharge the individual?
20. May the individual terminate his services at any time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I ran into this during the beginning of the Recession. As I am a former paralegal I know the labor and tax laws. These employers are just trying to ********* on the taxes. You end up paying their portion of it. You also can't claim for unemployment later down the line, or any of the things you end up paying taxes for had you gone under the W2.You get screwed for the future. The 1099 is going to ********* on part time jobs. It's the IRS who is not going to be happy. Sounds like the employer would be misclassifying you. IRS will make the employer pay it if they misclassify you. You will have a headache trying to prove they misclassified you, with hearings, lawyers, and a bitter employer. Soooo not worth it.

I say W2 only or let them suck _______. End of story.
Wartrace nails it on the head. You can be "1099'd" if you are a legitimate contractor who comes and goes on your schedule and gets most of the work done with little to no supervision or training, and/or you do some of the work off premises. Your doctor has to be 1099'd for instance, as does an accountant or lawyer (whether or not any of these are LLC's or S-Corps.)

But as for the whole tax conversation, the only portion of the taxes paid for an employee by the employer is 1/2 the FICA (Social Security) tax. All the other taxes are taken out of your check and turned over to the appropriate taxing bodies - city, state, county, fed. So it's a wash. You will either pay those taxes with your paycheck or you will pay them when you file a tax return.

So all an employer is "saving" by not having you as a legitimate employee are the costs associated with FICA and any disability and unemployment insurance costs. But those costs are on total payroll anyway, so if you are very low-hour part-time worker and not making a lot, then the added costs to TDI, Work Comp, and UI are negligible. If they are already doing payroll, adding one more person to the process is no big deal either.

This statement, "You also can't claim for unemployment later down the line, or any of the things you end up paying taxes for had you gone under the W2" is slightly misleading. While it's true you can't file unemployment on an independent contractor job, you don't pay for your own unemployment tax, nor do you pay for your own disability or workers compensation insurance. Those are burdens paid for by the employer. And again, for low hour workers, there isn't a lot here we're talking about. If I paid you $2,300 last quarter, my unemployment insurance for you would cost me less than $23. That's hardly worth risking an IRS audit for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,481,892 times
The point is what the employer is doing is not legitimate. He is leveraging the OP's dire need for a job to bone him on self employment taxes and cheat the government.

A 1099 employee is hired for a specific project of defined scope like build a roof, design a web page, film a wedding, not I'll give you stuff to do and direct you like an employee but I don't feel like paying payroll so I'll pretend you are an independent contractor.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,318,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post

What happens if you get physically hurt while at that employer's place of business? You can't claim disability. You will have to sue. Worker's comp? Same. Unemployment? Nope.
And yet you pay into them in your SE taxes. So fun =D

Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,014,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The point is what the employer is doing is not legitimate. He is leveraging the OP's dire need for a job to bone him on self employment taxes and cheat the government.

A 1099 employee is hired for a specific project of defined scope like build a roof, design a web page, film a wedding, not I'll give you stuff to do and direct you like an employee but I don't feel like paying payroll so I'll pretend you are an independent contractor.

Also an independent contractor is perfectly free to work for your competition. Next time a clown requests you be a 1099 inaccurately, remind them who their competitor is, and say "Oh Good. Once I work for you, with the knowledge I gain, Corp XYZ will reply to my resume submissions". when they protest, remind them, as an independent contractor, you'd be within your rights to do just that.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,481,892 times
I had to sign a nondisclosure where I worked. Besides an employee can do the same thing quit and take a job with their competitor.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,531,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

This statement, "You also can't claim for unemployment later down the line, or any of the things you end up paying taxes for had you gone under the W2" is slightly misleading. While it's true you can't file unemployment on an independent contractor job, you don't pay for your own unemployment tax, nor do you pay for your own disability or workers compensation insurance. Those are burdens paid for by the employer. And again, for low hour workers, there isn't a lot here we're talking about. If I paid you $2,300 last quarter, my unemployment insurance for you would cost me less than $23. That's hardly worth risking an IRS audit for.
There is nothing misleading about it. Let's speak English and address serious issues. Let's scrap the law textbook and legalese lingo.

The question is will you get any of the things I mentioned? The correct answer is no. Even if you sue, chances are you will lose. For someone who wants to protect one's self, under the 1099 you do not get the same protection as you would under the W2. 1099 disqualifies you from getting those things. You pay certain taxes under the W2 and are designated as an employee so you can have certain rights and certain protection. People need to think for themselves and cover their own a**. EMPLOYERS CARE ABOUT PROFIT ABOVE ALL ELSE.The concept of humanity is gone.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,014,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I had to sign a nondisclosure where I worked. Besides an employee can do the same thing quit and take a job with their competitor.

Employees can be required to sign those, not ICs.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,674,729 times
I work it for a little while if need be then walk the heck out lol!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,824,124 times
It's a sad commentary that no one wants to have employees on the books.

Look for it to get worse now that Health Care is entering into the picture.

I find it interesting that most of the Doctors in my area have outside vendors supply their office staff... the Doctor hires, fires, directs... yet the individual receives their paycheck from an outside company

Some have been doing this for years and rightly or wrongly use it to get around city per employee taxes.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,209,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Also an independent contractor is perfectly free to work for your competition. Next time a clown requests you be a 1099 inaccurately, remind them who their competitor is, and say "Oh Good. Once I work for you, with the knowledge I gain, Corp XYZ will reply to my resume submissions". when they protest, remind them, as an independent contractor, you'd be within your rights to do just that.
That would depend on how bad you need the job. Tell me that at the interview and that would be our last contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment