Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times

Advertisements

One thought is that it should be ok to take gap years from time to time if you can afford it to pursue interests that you may not be able to especially when working very time demanding jobs as long as it doesn't make your resume look like swiss cheese. Employers do seem to be especially picky these days which I blame on the onset of the human relations experts. Of course if an interview rubs you the wrong way maybe it's an indication that you wouldn't fit well in their culture anyway.

It can be a valid question to ask a prospective employee. Say, you were in jail, on dialysis, or in a padded room during that period. If they hadn't asked those specific questions on the application it could be important for them to know. On the other hand a great deal of the angst can be handled in how one chooses to (politely) respond when is asked. It is much better to say I had health problems but their resolved now, which effectively ends the conversation, than to say I was sick. You always have to take control by adding the concluding statement in your answer even if you were merely ticking off things on your bucket list. Of course if you can spin them in a positive light such as what you learned, then all the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yes. I am dead serious. And it's because work should not be the ONLY focus of life. Maybe I needed to nap and hot tub for two years - so what? And now I am in a super productive phase - or maybe I had cancer and don't really want to share that with you - a stranger - why should I HAVE to disclose my PRIVATE LIFE to get a JOB?
Hottub and nap for 2 years. Give me a break...you won't be getting any job that way. It isn't hard to say "I had medical emergencies" or I had cancer. That is it.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
In this society (America) you can't just have 3 years or what have you of no work. What are you doing for 3 damn years?! Living with your parents in your basement leeching off of others or were you going to college. These are 2 completely different scenarios. People don't just not work for 2 years unless there is a reason. The employer wants to know why you weren't working when everyone else they interveiwed was working those years. it is just a question! The one who gets all frazzled over this is the one who thinks it is an invasion of privacy....not the employer. They need to weed out the people who sat in their basements because they were lazy bums.

Well I have never been asked that question and was out of work for 11 months so it's probably how u present yourself when being interviewed.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Hottub and nap for 2 years. Give me a break...you won't be getting any job that way. It isn't hard to say "I had medical emergencies" or I had cancer. That is it.

So you think someone is going to reveal personal medical information on a interview to get hired?

Good Night lol

Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
In this society (America) you can't just have 3 years or what have you of no work. What are you doing for 3 damn years?! Living with your parents in your basement leeching off of others or were you going to college. These are 2 completely different scenarios. People don't just not work for 2 years unless there is a reason. The employer wants to know why you weren't working when everyone else they interveiwed was working those years. it is just a question! The one who gets all frazzled over this is the one who thinks it is an invasion of privacy....not the employer. They need to weed out the people who sat in their basements because they were lazy bums.
Plus the person in question had multiple gaps..red flag.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not sure how many of you have ever been questioned about a employment gap but i always thought it was a invasion of privacy because what the applicant was doing may not have anything to do what the job. The interviewer should be asking the applicant how their past experience and current skills will help them succeed in the job they are applying for instead of questioning employment gaps.

And if the employer was impressed enough to look at the resume and see the employment gap then why was the applicant called in the 1st place? The question even sounds stupid........."what were you doing in between 2009 and 2011?

If a person is applying for a customer service job in 2013 and the resume showed they were a customer service rep

2000-2005

2007-2009

2011-2012

Why the hell would anyone care what that person was doing in 2006 and 2010 if they are qualified for the job?
Given two equally-qualified candidates with 8 years of directly related experience, I'm looking for reasons why I shouldn't hire them. If Candidate A has worked for the same company from 2004-2012 and Candidate B has your work history profile above, I'd bring them both in for f2f interviews and you bet your life I will ask Candidate B about what s/he was doing between jobs. It's not the only things I care about but it can be a factor in my hiring decision. I'm not talking about gaps that are less than a year in duration.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Given two equally-qualified candidates with 8 years of directly related experience, I'm looking for reasons why I shouldn't hire them. If Candidate A has worked for the same company from 2004-2012 and Candidate B has your work history profile above, I'd bring them both in for f2f interviews and you bet your life I will ask Candidate B about what s/he was doing between jobs. It's not the only things I care about but it can be a factor in my hiring decision. I'm not talking about gaps that are less than a year in duration.

I would think the explanation of why the previous job ended to create the small gap would be a better question.

And wouldn't be obvious what the person was doing in 2006? they were seeking employment that lead to the job from 2007 to 2010

Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would think the explanation of why the previous job ended to create the small gap would be a better question.
Who said that wasn't going to asked as well?

Quote:
And wouldn't be obvious what the person was doing in 2006? they were seeking employment that lead to the job from 2007 to 2010
No, it isn't obvious. Everyone's situation and motivation is different. That's why we conduct interviews.
Maybe Candidate B can explain the gaps such that they won't be a factor in the hiring decision (went back to school, completed certification program, volunteered, etc)

Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Ummm no. If your age 18-65 you should be a working individual. You can't expect to just do crap nothing for 2 years and the employer just not to care! If you had cancer or something...fine say that. An employer is going to see a 2 year gap and think "wtf, why wasn't he working....now he is getting mad because I asked". Good bye.
There's legitimate reasons why one should not be working between 18-65. If you're attending medical school, for example, you should not be working. And if you're retiring early, you should not be working. I know people who have retired in their 40s, attained a gap, got bored, and went back to work only to retire in their 50s. Having a gap in itself is not a problem. If you have a gap of sitting at home collecting welfare... then that's a problem.

Last edited by NJBest; 01-27-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's legitimate reasons why one should not be working between 18-65. If you're attending medical school, for example, you should not be working. And if you're retiring early, you should not be working. I know people who have retired in their 40s, attained a gap, got bored, and went back to work only to retire in their 50s. Having a gap in itself is not a problem. If you have a gap of siting at home collecting welfare... then that's a problem.
Agreed. If I win the jackpot tommorow I won't be working ever again. Ill pay my fair share to the government and let the money work for itself after that.

The last part is what I'm saying. There are multiple reasons why people don't work, but sitting on your lazy butt collecting welfare and leeching off of your parents or the such aren't legit gaps in work history. This is why the employer is asking what is up in this work history where you took a gap off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment