Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,082,410 times

Advertisements

Just a crazy idea: I wonder if these employers that don't give health insurance or any paid time off, but offer a higher than average salary, are trying to weed out employees who have minor medical problems, and employees who are committed to their families. It's probably illegal to ask in an interview if you have a medical problem or if you are married and/or have children, and how committed you are to them. But by not offering health insurance or paid time off, they are basically limiting the job to employees who have perfect health, and are either single with no kids, or who don't care about their kids at all. The higher than usual salary is the carrot to attract such employees.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,532,713 times
Let's see what happens with Obamacare. Will they offer it then or pay the fines. Not all companies can survive on all part timers. Every kid knows that part timers are not as committed and are usually not high performers. A lot of part timers means lack of quality and high turnover rate. I would think the bottom line would suffer in the end.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,167,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Just a crazy idea: I wonder if these employers that don't give health insurance or any paid time off, but offer a higher than average salary, are trying to weed out employees who have minor medical problems, and employees who are committed to their families. It's probably illegal to ask in an interview if you have a medical problem or if you are married and/or have children, and how committed you are to them. But by not offering health insurance or paid time off, they are basically limiting the job to employees who have perfect health, and are either single with no kids, or who don't care about their kids at all. The higher than usual salary is the carrot to attract such employees.

I'm still laughing at how this company wants you to come in and make them LOTS OF MONEY for 6 months and then they say GOODBYE. It was a SALES JOB

Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,816,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Until AFA kicks in next year, there are federally and state-subsidized programmes for people with preexisting conditions.

Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) | HealthCare.gov

Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,289,132 times
I think it's great! The employer is saying up front: here's what we want, this many hours for this long. Now the worker knows exactly what they're getting into. I wish all employers were that honest and objective.

Plus if someone only wants to work for the next 6 months, they can take that job and not have to quit an open-ended job after only 6 months. I know several people who are planning to retire in about a year, and this job would get them 1/2 way to their goal.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 PM

19,978 posts, read 30,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There are no benefits at all.
If government got out of the way with taxes and regulations.. and litigation,,,,,the economy would take a turn for the better

this is what happens,,,when you demonize businesses and the so called rich-

with this new health care debacle, you are going to see much more of this stuff in the future,,

dont complain if you voted for democrats- this is what you voted for

Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,056,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
$15.00 an hour is what the position was paying
See what I mean?

And yet they wanted the WORLD from this person.

No respect for these "employers" and they would get $15 an hour work too.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I can't imagine why you found the requirement you highlighted as something to be remarked upon. And if someone (you, the OP who started this silly thread or anyone else) wanted to know the remuneration details they could ask the advertiser. It's clear from many responses that as much as this sort of job offering isn't in the least bit unusual there are plenty of intelligent people interested in applying for this and similar positions. Creating a thread about something so mundane is, well, simply mundane.
They're only paying $15 an hour which is essentially minimum wage or less for the type of person they want.

Who's going to pay for the gas this person is supposed to use? It says an automobile is required.

I wouldn't mind if they wanted someone who was entry level, but they don't. They want an EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,167,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
See what I mean?

And yet they wanted the WORLD from this person.

No respect for these "employers" and they would get $15 an hour work too.

The position was Job Developer and they probably want him to find people jobs making $30 an hour

whoever responds to that ad doesn't have much confidence in their abilities

Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Let's see what happens with Obamacare. Will they offer it then or pay the fines. Not all companies can survive on all part timers. Every kid knows that part timers are not as committed and are usually not high performers. A lot of part timers means lack of quality and high turnover rate. I would think the bottom line would suffer in the end.
True and they don't care about that.

This is why I say loyalty to these corporations is very misplaced. People need to start looking out for THEMSELVES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment