Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:59 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times

Advertisements

About a week ago I responded to a job ad on craigslist, and I just got a response today. The job pays very well and I was surprised to get a response like this from someone who has not even talked to me.

I would expect to at least be asked to come in for an interview, but no, instead I get this telling me it's a different job than I applied for (bait and switch?) I applied for a warehouse/shipping job, but now I'm told this person wants me for a personal assistant? How does one suddenly become the other????

And they are asking for information that is either in my resume, or should have been asked for in an interview instead of an email. Why do they want to know my nationality? That seems odd. They ask my sex? That should be obvious to them already! And my email address? They emailed me this!

Something doesn't smell right about this, and I've already gotten a lot of job scams run at me, and then too, it's from craigslist.

Prospective Candidate ,

With reference to your application sent to my HR consultant ad in our email. Your resume was received and it has been reviewed, I did appreciate it. It's reasonable and acceptable. So I will give this a GO. You have been considered for an alternative position of Independent personal Assistant Personnel(1099). I will like to notify you of this unprecedented job opportunity for the position of Executive Personal Assistant (Independent),

About me:
My name is ------------- I am proud to inform you that I'm Self employed. I am an importer by profession and I have been pretty successful in a handful of ventures i get involved from the Angel of importing fabrics to various welfare and community service programs. Am a property manager, maintaining and managing apartment units, single family residential homes, condos and commercial properties and Sales of classic cars.

YOUR PRIMARY DUTIES:Your primary task for now, as a Independent Personal Assistant is to handle my Scheduling programmer's, flights coordinate payments from customers and process the payment on my behalf . Once your information has passed the background check you will be confirmed. I hereby need a P.A personnel representative who would act as a representative, collecting payments on my behalf and handle my schedule who is also a philanthropist and you would also handle other personal errand on my behalf.

Job Specifics:
1. Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.
2. Filing, Faxing,Creating and sending out letters, scanning
documents, some personal assistant duties, and many other related
assignment.
3. Coordinating business and personal affairs if when i am not available.
4. Collection of Payments and take records.
5. Basic wage is $500 a week
6. Managing expenses and invoices.
7. Sending cashed payment processed to my clients following my Instruction.
8. Co-ordination of meeting between me and my prospective sales clients.
9. Keeping Record of each customer payment received and processed.
10. Posting ads on Internet and news paper when the need arises.
11. Scheduling programmer's, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
12. Remuneration is attractive once you have been confirmed.

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:

*Good planning, communication and organization skills.
*Must be honest, reliable & dependable.
*Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
*Must have strong problem solving skills.
*Must be organized & extremely detail oriented.
*Experience working with the Internet, email.
*Ability to multi-task and self manage 24/7 mindset.
*A willingness to do whatever needs to be done is a must.

NOTE: The above qualification requirements can also be considered for personnel that have relative skill and you are willing to take up the challenges. I'm sure you'll understand I tend to have a very busy schedule at this point as I am presently in Malaysia for a summit. I will be back in Two Weeks time. I think you're the right person for this post. Please note that this position is not office based for now because of my frequent travels and tight schedules. It's a part-time,work from home basis and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others. So it's a little difficult judging the exact
number of hours you'll be doing per week. If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra while you do something else on the side. As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible. If you are interested in working with me, Re-confirm with your current information.

INFORMATION'S REQUIRED:
Full Names:
Address no p.o.box:
City:
State:
Zip code:
Home Phone:
Cell Phone:
Email Address:
Current Occupation:
Nationality:

You will receive another Email once you are finally accepted. But first provide the required information above for verification purpose.You will have allot of time to yourself if you have a job currently.Have a great weekend . Hope to hear from you at your soonest
convenience.

Regards,

Last edited by amylewis; 03-26-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:59 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,314 times
SCAM ALERTTTTTTTTTTT! yES IT is a scam

Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
SCAM ALERTTTTTTTTTTT! yES IT is a scam
Yeah, I think so too.

What is it that says scam to you about this? It's my gut that tells me, but what exactly would the scam be?

I just checked the original job posting, and it's been flagged for removal....

Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM

The fact that he is asking you all of this personal information and is willing to HIRE YOU on the spot without any reference checks, interviews, etc screams scam to me. Who's ever been hired through email? He says he thinks you are the right person for the job, based on what? He never spoke to you! Plus he is overseas, perfect setting for scams. This is more than likely an identity theft scam, do not share your personal information with this person, do not respond to him using your real email, real name, social security, bank info ect. I hope you have not shared anything with him because he will steal your identity!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
The fact that he is asking you all of this personal information and is willing to HIRE YOU on the spot without any reference checks, interviews, etc screams scam to me. Who's ever been hired through email? He says he thinks you are the right person for the job, based on what? He never spoke to you! Plus he is overseas, perfect setting for scams. This is more than likely an identity theft scam, do not share your personal information with this person, do not respond to him using your real email, real name, social security, bank info ect. I hope you have not shared anything with him because he will steal your identity!
That was my guess too, identity theft scam. They already have my email address, and my resume, from when I responded to the ad. That's all they are getting. I already wrote back telling them to go F themselves. I remember getting something like this a few years ago, and they jerked me around for several emails, then wanted my credit information, whereupon I told them to go... well you know.

Yeah, the overseas thing is a big red flag... Malaysia, right. More like Nigeria!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM

Yup, you got that right! I got one of those Nigerian scams a few years ago and the person wanted me to send them some money because they had a terminal illness, all the red flags were there from the start, so I played along knowing full well it was a scam. I asked for their information, name,e ct and then send them a bogus western union number and info and told them i sent $1000 The scammer went to the Western Union in Nigeria with the fake# and got beaten by the cops there because they thought he was a thief. He wrote me another email saying i might have made a mistake on the #, I apologized and gave him another bogus number , long story short this lasted a few days where i kept giving him bogus western numbers and he kept going to different western unions trying to cash the money LOL after a few attempts of this and having his as.s kicked by cops who thought he was faking the numbers to steal money from the bank, he got smart and realized I punked his behind. I had a good laugh at it

Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
The scammer went to the Western Union in Nigeria with the fake# and got beaten by the cops there because they thought he was a thief. He wrote me another email saying i might have made a mistake on the #, I apologized and gave him another bogus number , long story short this lasted a few days where i kept giving him bogus western numbers and he kept going to different western unions trying to cash the money LOL after a few attempts of this and having his as.s kicked by cops who thought he was faking the numbers to steal money from the bank, he got smart and realized I punked his behind. I had a good laugh at it
Oh that's just BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

I think you are my new hero

Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Given everything you mentioned I would say scam most likely. I have companies ask me for nationality, but it phrased do you have legal right to work here which is valid because I have applied for some jobs outside the US.

I had a scammer from UAE contact me and say he had this wonderful opening but he need $400 to write my CV, blah, blah. I figured I would have some fun with him. I told great I am excited and will be wiring money immediatly but first I need to see more detailed job descriptions. I had him jump through hoops and then I told nah.

But they are getting more sophisticated he had a linked profile the company did as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post

Prospective Candidate ,

With reference to your application sent to my HR consultant ad in our email. Your resume was received and it has been reviewed, I did appreciate it. It's reasonable and acceptable. So I will give this a GO. You have been considered for an alternative position of Independent personal Assistant Personnel(1099). I will like to notify you of this unprecedented job opportunity for the position of Executive Personal Assistant (Independent),
Who sends out offer letters without knowing the name of the new employee? Yeah, it's a scam. Let's not forget the horrible English throughout the whole letter. It screams Nigerian scam.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Given everything you mentioned I would say scam most likely. I have companies ask me for nationality, but it phrased do you have legal right to work here which is valid because I have applied for some jobs outside the US.

I had a scammer from UAE contact me and say he had this wonderful opening but he need $400 to write my CV, blah, blah. I figured I would have some fun with him. I told great I am excited and will be wiring money immediatly but first I need to see more detailed job descriptions. I had him jump through hoops and then I told nah.

But they are getting more sophisticated he had a linked profile the company did as well.
Yes they are getting trickier, this one who emailed me had gone to the trouble to look up a local business woman here in Naples, before posting his ad to the Collier county craigslist, and used her name! I know he did that because I Googled her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment