Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM

96 posts, read 206,132 times

Advertisements

I work as a cashier at a store. I believe my cash register will come up $18 and something cents short tonight because on my shift earlier today after I totaled the amount and printed the receipt the guy wanted to pay with a different amount of money. Instead of just doing the math in my head or telling him no I just sort of panicked and rescanned the stuff again because the line was getting really long. So the guy paid once but there were 2 receipts printed. I told my manager that it printed twice and I wrote on one "receipt printed twice" and stuck it in my cash register so when they balance it out tonight if it comes up short they'll see why, but I'm still worried that I'll be fired over it. Today was my second day on the job and I actually like working here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Only your superior knows if you are going to get fired. Go back to work when scheduled and find out.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Possibly. But more because you panicked and didn't do things correctly than because of the error. If you are going to work as a cashier, your main job is to make sure the items you ring up are correct. The receipt did not print 2 times. You rang it up twice creating a money and inventory error that someone will have to explain...that is the issue.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,438 times
All they would have to do is void out the first receipt. I cant see it being a big problem. Just explain the sitation and he will tell you what to do next time and all should be good.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 PM

But he didn't tell them it was a void or alert them at the time. And he is a new employee not following basic procedure. Really depends on the boss and teh company if they fire OP

Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
But he didn't tell them it was a void or alert them at the time. And he is a new employee not following basic procedure. Really depends on the boss and teh company if they fire OP

Here is an excerpt from the OP: I told my manager that it printed twice and I wrote on one "receipt printed twice" and stuck it in my cash register so when they balance it out tonight if it comes up short they'll see why,

The OP told them when it happened. It's a very simple fix. The OP is a brand new employee (2 days). It's doubtful he/she will be fired. They'll more than likely just tell him/her what to do if this happens again.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:31 PM

The issue is that he put "receipt printed twice" which is not even close to what happened.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
The issue is that he put "receipt printed twice" which is not even close to what happened.
Why are you so fixated on seeing the OP lose their job?

As Amisi said, he/she is a new employee and they owned up to their mistake. At worst, the OP will get a warning and the manager will re-train them.

Not everyone can be perfect like you are.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:12 PM

340 posts, read 913,915 times
It's your second day on the job, you made a mistake. When I worked in retail, new cashiers would have someone sitting with them to babysit them for the first 3 days, then loosely monitored.

If anything, I would see the manager getting a word or two from upper management for not providing new employees with the necessary initial training.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Well, he/she can explain that they meant rang up twice and explain why. It will likely be a reprimand, if that....Next time call the manager....you are new and you need a bit of direction so that it becomes familar, rather than causes you to panic. It will be OK....Explain to the manager just as you did here. It is a teachable moment...Also, tell then you now realize what you did wrong, say what you'll do next time. That is what managers want, to see if you can improve and learn from your mistakes. Go to work as usual and ask to talk to the manger and explain just as I suggest, include that you were hoping they could figure out from your note....and then offer your understanding of what you'll do differently next time. It'll be fine.
Back in the day, when I was a cashier they didn't care if you were 1.00 over/short or 20.00 over/short...My company considered it an error, regardless.

Last edited by JanND; 04-13-2013 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: edit text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment