Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM

210 posts, read 394,075 times

Advertisements

I went into the office at work to get a pen to write something down. I ended up closing the door which locked it. The supervisor was pissed because she had the keys in there to lock up the store at the end of the day. I tried to fix the problem. I didn't have the number of our new boss, so I called my old boss who left a few weeks ago. He have me the number of the assistant manager and she was out of town when I called her and couldn't help

So now I don't know what to do. I'm gonna lose sleep and think about this until my next shift tomorrow evening. I don't know how they dealt with it when they finished and closed up yesterday, as I finished my shift 2 hours earlier. I didn't know about the keys being in there and wasn't really thinking about it when I closed the door. Do you guys think I'll get fired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
No way.

Before I got fired it took two incidents of me swearing at the manager (they had an attitude problem and I over-reacted each time) which is a lot more serious so I'll doubt you'd be fired.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
You should not be fired. The supervisor who did not have her keys on her is responsible.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Supervisor's keys never should have been sitting in the office unattended. She is lucky that getting the keys locked in the office was the worst thing that happened. She could have come back at the end of the day and found her keys missing....

Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Of course you can be fired for that if your employment is At-Will. If you're covered by an employment contract or a labor agreement, the terms and conditions of those contracts will rule.

Now, if you’re asking should you be fired for that, the answer depends on if you were authorized to enter that office. If so, the accidental closing of a self-locking door shouldn’t be grounds for termination. If you were not authorized to be in that office, termination is extreme but within the realm of reasonable action.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
How the hell would we know?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM

16 posts, read 21,115 times
No. It is silly to fire someone for a locked door!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I went into the office at work to get a pen to write something down. I ended up closing the door which locked it. The supervisor was pissed because she had the keys in there to lock up the store at the end of the day. I tried to fix the problem. I didn't have the number of our new boss, so I called my old boss who left a few weeks ago. He have me the number of the assistant manager and she was out of town when I called her and couldn't help

So now I don't know what to do. I'm gonna lose sleep and think about this until my next shift tomorrow evening. I don't know how they dealt with it when they finished and closed up yesterday, as I finished my shift 2 hours earlier. I didn't know about the keys being in there and wasn't really thinking about it when I closed the door. Do you guys think I'll get fired?
Two things:

1) Unless you knew closing the door would lock it, I would not hold you at fault; and

2) The supervisor should have had the keys on her at all times.

With that said, you might get fired if she had to leave the store unsecured all night and something happened at the store that would not have happened if the store was locked up. Then again, she might get fired if that happened, too.

[nothing you can do about it - go to sleep and worry about it tomorrow]

Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
The supervisor should have called a locksmith to get the door unlocked rather than leave the store open all night.

Having an office door that auto-locks is a real problem. How would you have known. The manager should not be leaving keys unattended.

This is all the manger's problem. However, if the manager likes to throw other people under to bus, then the manager might fire you are tell others that it's your fault. Though in reality, it's just something that happened and the manager should have resolved it with a visit from the locksmith.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:29 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
as other people have said, no you shouldn't but yes you could be. good luck, i hope things work out in your favor because the manager's mistake was much bigger and more consequential than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment