Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 AM

6 posts, read 17,546 times

Advertisements

Yes, hello.
I'm looking for any suggestions that may benefit my job search. I am twenty-six years of age, and my current résumé is void of notable work experience. This seems completely incomprehensible to most people, including hiring mangers I've spoken with, and I doubt few people here will understand. I'm not searching for acceptance, I'm searching for employment and suggestions which can help find it.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
What have you been doing?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 AM

Yes Miss, thank you for your time.

That's a perfectly reasonable question. At my current age, I've missed out on so many solid working years, which does leave behind many details to recount. Will a brief synopsis suffice? I have made poor decisions in my life. Frankly, it seems incredibly inappropriate to mention my past decisions to any prospective employers. Discussing my past is uncomfortable and seems extremely unprofessional to discuss within any working environment. I have come here for specific reasons. Those reasons do not include whining, searching for sympathy, or acceptance from others. The only thing I want is to be productive. I hope you understand. If you are truly interested in learning my past, and believe it may somehow help, please ask again. I might be willing to share my experiences in a more detailed and candid fashion. I value your time and I do not wish to waste it away by reminiscing over poor decisions. Thank you for taking the time to respond - I appreciate it.

May I discuss myself in a more positive light?
I have health concerns. I cannot lift weight or rely on the use of my hands. Although I have some mild health concerns, I'm still trying to gain employment rather than just forfeit. I've applied to any job I can think of. Including jobs which require hazardous management in a clinical setting by working with things like c-diff, mrsa, human blood and stool. So long as any job is a legitimate and legal job, I'm interested.

Aside from that I simply follow my usual ritual.
Each morning I wake up and go check the classified advertisements.
Then I go to my calender to check the current date and compare it to past applications I've sent in. I maintain a binder containing a list of every job position I've ever filed for. After roughly two months, I resend another application just in case they're looking for new workers.
After this point I begin checking for positions listed online. It's been a ritual I've undertaken for literally years now.

I also try to market myself whenever possible.
If I see a hiring sign, I try to speak with a manager. Just simply wear some nice clothing, suit and tie, smile, look him straight in the eyes and say, "Hey, I've always been interested in working in a place like this. Can you tell me more about the company and what position is available?"

So far I have not gone anywhere.

Last edited by JSeeker; 04-21-2013 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: my speech-to-text software is buggy

Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
What is your education? What do you know how to do, well? What are your strengths? What do you mean by "you cannot rely on the use of your hands"? You can type or are you using speech to text?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I really think you need to tell us what you have been doing. Are you disabled?

I have a friend who has limited mobility due to an issue when she was born. She's always wanted to be a school counselar (for university) so she went to school, got her bachelors and masters, and worked jobs like receptionist jobs at companies (where she didn't ahve to get up). Finally this year just got a job working for a university as a counselar and she's thrilled.

Also, you say you have no work history really, so what jobs are you applying for?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
it's hard to completely address this considering your physical problems and not knowing what your skillset is, but i always found temping to be a good way to accumulate experience. i did it once when i was about 20 and had no degree and only entry-level retail experience, and again a few years later after i moved and had bounced around in different jobs for a bit. the second time, i was hired permanently by an assignment. i was around your age. these were office jobs, but temp agencies place people for general labor jobs as well.

now granted, this was pre-recession (my second period of temping was 2006) and i have had excellent computer skills since high school. so your experience may not be the same. things are definitely not the same now. but i do think that temping is a decent way to at least make some money, develop a more stable employment history, and potentially directly find a job.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeeker View Post
Yes, hello.
I'm looking for any suggestions that may benefit my job search. I am twenty-six years of age, and my current résumé is void of notable work experience. This seems completely incomprehensible to most people, including hiring mangers I've spoken with, and I doubt few people here will understand. I'm not searching for acceptance, I'm searching for employment and suggestions which can help find it.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Well...what have you been doing? What kind of jobs you're applying for? I don't have a ton of experience but I have some work on my resume. Like you I've made some bad decisions in life but I'm looking to turn everything around.

You could do some volunteer work for a while to get some experience under your belt.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Thank you all for the responses.

wireyourworld -
What is your education?
High School Diploma, with some college.
What do you know how to do, well?
I have experience architectural drafting and design, and my first blueprint was approved by zoning and eventually built. I am also familiar with video production and animation. Including object tracking in tomato branch for blender.
What are your strengths?
I'm very gifted in reading people and their expressions. I'm also really fun to work with and a real team player. You could also describe me as a reliable straight arrow whose polite, tactful, and professional.
What do you mean by "you cannot rely on the use of your hands"?
Over the past four years I have been experiencing neuropathy in my dominate hand. I cannot lift more than fifteen pounds. Thanks to ongoing occupational therapy, the use of my hand is slightly restored and continues to improve. I was also able to avoid atrophy of the thenar eminence.
You can type or are you using speech to text?
I'm using speech-to-text software. The ADA protects me from discrimination or disclosure of my health. These common programs used for accommodation actually require a few weeks to a month of configuration. These programs also require powerful computers typically more costly than your normal office desktop. Although I have the rights, the request of accommodation has ended previous interviews.

beera-
I really think you need to tell us what you have been doing. Are you disabled?
I do not meet the criteria for disability. But I do require accommodation. I used to have a whole slew of hobbies and interests. I previously had hobbies and interests including reading literature such as Grays Anatomy, the DSM-IV-TR, various multidisciplinary research journals associated with the APA, and the works of Joseph Heller. I would create furniture with hand tools only. Using my antique block plane was my favorite past-time. I briefly picked up architectural drafting and design. I also enjoyed the occasional volunteer work with local food banks, undertook the occasional landscaping work such as building patios for associates. Lastly, I really enjoyed animation. I taught myself Python scripting and blender.

Initially, I had a passion for animation. I would network and shadow professionals in the field as frequently as I could. I think you can imagine with my current situation, why this prospect has completely dried up for me.

Also, you say you have no work history really, so what jobs are you applying for?
My only work history is a seasonal position which I had to leave a month in because of my health. So I do not even mention this during the application process. My contacts and list of professional references is completely dried up. I'm currently applying for any position I feel that my health could handle. Rather than telling myself; "I can't physically handle a grocery cashier position! I give up." I instead tell myself, "Instead of a grocery cashier position, why not a movie theatre cashier position instead? It wouldn't be as physically demanding."

groar-
I really appreicate the suggestion and I'll be sure to give my local temp agency another shot.

deposite -
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually looking for volunteer work right now. I really hope things turn around for you too.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
if you are interested in animation and design, have you considered using those skills to make something for a nonprofit? say, doing the animation for a game for children with developmental disabilities, educational shorts, things like that. can you do web design that incorporates animation? if you volunteer doing things that relate to the career you want, you can build a portfolio.

again, he started in a different time, but my brother taught himself flash and html in the 90s and developed a portfolio by freelancing, networking, and volunteering. he has worked steadily since then and has a pretty lucrative career as a web animator/designer now. i would think you could do the same thing with drafting and design in general.

it is easier to do things like that if you live in a big city though - he started out in nyc and lives in london now.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Thank you for the advice groar. However, I have to give up this particular career path because of my health. There just isn't any reasonable expectation of me being capable of holding down an occupation that relies on computer skills. I won't admit this to anyone without anonymity, but I've given up all of my hobbies and interests. Several years ago I already worked on developing my portfolio in the hopes of working freelance as an animator. I even had professional contacts who I would speak with. There was also the backup possibility to pursue graphical editing for video production with the help of an an acquaintance who is a video producer.

I think now is the time to move on with myself and find a different vocational path. In the meantime I feel as though I have something to prove, that I have a great work ethic, and any job which I can reasonably handle is something I'm interested in right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment