Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,089 times

Advertisements

If there is one regret I have about my life so far, it is that my parents didn't allow me to work "menial" jobs in high school and threatened to cutoff financial support if I did so in college.

I wanted to work at a supermarket, or a moving company hauling heavy packages, or at a scrap yard operating equipment, anything. They told me that if they permitted me to work those kinds of jobs, they were afraid that I would want to quit school and enter the workforce full time without a degree. I think they just wanted power over me.

I think I got really lucky, because I was able to get several internships related to my field of study in the federal government in DC and in information-intensive companies in the private sector during the summer terms.

I feel like I missed out on an important part of life. Now that I got accepted into a top graduate program in information analytics and qualified for an assistantship producing research and analysis products, I'm wondering if I really missed out after all.

If it makes a difference, my parents were first generation immigrants who never went to college, they started a small business decades ago and overtime the company produced 7 figure income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
If there is one regret I have about my life so far, it is that my parents didn't allow me to work "menial" jobs in high school and threatened to cutoff financial support if I did so in college.

I wanted to work at a supermarket, or a moving company hauling heavy packages, or at a scrap yard operating equipment, anything. They told me that if they permitted me to work those kinds of jobs, they were afraid that I would want to quit school and enter the workforce full time without a degree. I think they just wanted power over me.

I think I got really lucky, because I was able to get several internships related to my field of study in the federal government in DC and in information-intensive companies in the private sector during the summer terms.

I feel like I missed out on an important part of life. Now that I got accepted into a top graduate program in information analytics and qualified for an assistantship producing research and analysis products, I'm wondering if I really missed out after all.

If it makes a difference, my parents were first generation immigrants who never went to college, they started a small business decades ago and overtime the company produced 7 figure income.
I'd say you lucked out!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:01 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Well, if you needed those starter jobs to develop strength of character and work ethics then, yes, you missed out. If your parents have already these great traits instilled in you then, no, you're lucky.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:21 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,027 times
Okay, I'm going to be really blunt here and say you missed out big time. I don't mean to discount the academic accomplishments you've made so far, but in reality that is all it is-- academics. Not WORK experience.

I'm going to also point out in this economy, people who don't have the actual work and skills experience are being passed up for those who do. Sure in a way, your degrees secure you with greater potential to get a job, but the truth is you aren't going to get paid what your education is worth. People are going to post-grad education just to quality for the entry level positions. That doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

There is much to be said working menial jobs as a teenager. You learn what it means to manage your own microeconomy and what it means to sacrifice your time and energy. It's also experience that you can expand upon with successive jobs, and after a while you can eliminate from your resume what you don't like because you've got enough experience.

My parents tried the same thing with me, too. Except I fought relentlessly to know what it was like to get a job and I'm glad I did. I wasn't allowed to use any of the money, but being forced to make good time management habits FAST, along with prioritizing my time with what was needed at home and with friends instilled a huge sense of work ethic. Today, my work ethic has caused former employers to tell me they wished I wasn't leaving (some even got mad!). I would not have learned my sense of work ethic if I hadn't worked in high school or through college. I'd even had two jobs at a time for years. I look back and I choose not to negatively compare my experience with those of my peers who didn't work, or worked more. I gained what I have because of the choices I made, and I think I did myself a huge service my being insightful with what I'd need. Even if my parents couldn't see it sometimes. I think parents always want to believe everything they do is always for the best of their child(ren), but in reality sometimes they do things out of fear or protection even if it ends badly.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,027 times
I should add, I'm also a first-generation child of immigrants and I think it's an immigrant thing to not want your kids to work much during school. They are used to witnessing people completely forgo school for work, so it's hard for them to think that paradigm is different in the US.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Maybe your parents were correct....possibly you would have decided against going to college because you were happy with working the high school job. Possibly you would have hooked up with a significant other at one of those jobs and decided that going away to school wasn't for you because your significant other wasn't going away.

You are an adult now and can work if you choose. Since you live far away from your parents, don't tell them you are working if they will cut off support. Make up a reason for not being home those days...such as class or study or internship or meeting up with friends/networking.

I doubt your career will suffer because you didn't work at a supermarkt when you were 17.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

You didn't miss much. I had to work these jobs out of necessity while they are great tools in learning work ethics and establishing independence, if you don't have to don't. Besides you landed internships that's work.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Okay, I'm going to be really blunt here and say you missed out big time. I don't mean to discount the academic accomplishments you've made so far, but in reality that is all it is-- academics. Not WORK experience.

I'm going to also point out in this economy, people who don't have the actual work and skills experience are being passed up for those who do. Sure in a way, your degrees secure you with greater potential to get a job, but the truth is you aren't going to get paid what your education is worth. People are going to post-grad education just to quality for the entry level positions. That doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

There is much to be said working menial jobs as a teenager. You learn what it means to manage your own microeconomy and what it means to sacrifice your time and energy. It's also experience that you can expand upon with successive jobs, and after a while you can eliminate from your resume what you don't like because you've got enough experience.

My parents tried the same thing with me, too. Except I fought relentlessly to know what it was like to get a job and I'm glad I did. I wasn't allowed to use any of the money, but being forced to make good time management habits FAST, along with prioritizing my time with what was needed at home and with friends instilled a huge sense of work ethic. Today, my work ethic has caused former employers to tell me they wished I wasn't leaving (some even got mad!). I would not have learned my sense of work ethic if I hadn't worked in high school or through college. I'd even had two jobs at a time for years. I look back and I choose not to negatively compare my experience with those of my peers who didn't work, or worked more. I gained what I have because of the choices I made, and I think I did myself a huge service my being insightful with what I'd need. Even if my parents couldn't see it sometimes. I think parents always want to believe everything they do is always for the best of their child(ren), but in reality sometimes they do things out of fear or protection even if it ends badly.
I disagree although I'm more like you and probably would have relentlessly asserted my independence by getting a job. Still he/she didn't miss much.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
I would say meeting a significant other would be the only potential uptick, if you did meet your significant other at one of these jobs that is a pay off worth more than an internship. But if you dont then its a colosal waste of time. It would boil down to how attractive you are anyways to the opposite sex, if you didnt have good luck with women in high school then the menial work place is probalby not going to be much different, in that case your going to NEED the status and money to gain happyness in this life.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
No, you did not miss anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment