Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM

50 posts, read 190,934 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Austin my entire life and I'm in my mid 20s and although it is a great tech city, it really isn't that great job-wise unless you're at the height of your career and I just desperately need a change of scenery. I'm single with no significant other and my entire family lives in Austin so I'm not really pulled strongly in any direction towards a certain city. I'm currently freelancing as a web developer, unable to find full-time employment here for a junior or mid level role.

Houston and Dallas just don't seem all that different from Austin. I'm ready for more adventure and new experiences. SF seems out of the question as it is so expensive and competition is tough. I do have $15k in savings but know that will go fast. I've visited NYC and have received tentative offers from a few companies ("We're very interested but get back in touch with us once you have moved here"). What are some other cities I should look into where there are lower level tech jobs but where my savings can be stretched a bit? I'm wondering if Chicago, Portland or Boston might be better options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
The ones that come to the top of my head in no particular order of preference:

San Fran
DC
NYC
Boston
Denver
Atlanta

I would nix Chicago from the list. Yes, there is a lot of IT there, but I would be more inclined to go to most any of the other cities above, if I were just starting out in IT.

In a way it sort of depends what type of IT work you are seeking. You face a lot of competition with web dev. Anything else interests you in IT in particular? Programming?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
The ones that come to the top of my head in no particular order of preference:

San Fran
DC
NYC
Boston
Denver
Atlanta

I would nix Chicago from the list. Yes, there is a lot of IT there, but I would be more inclined to go to most any of the other cities above, if I were just starting out in IT.

In a way it sort of depends what type of IT work you are seeking. You face a lot of competition with web dev. Anything else interests you in IT in particular? Programming?
And it's almost the exact same order for "expensiveness"..

NYC
San Fran
DC
Boston
Denver
Atlanta

If the IT job market is hot in ATL, it is certainly the least expensive to live in. Much closer to what you've been used to in Austin.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 PM

50 posts, read 190,934 times
Thanks for your input! I do have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering but it's been about 3 years since I've really done any work related to it since I transitioned to web dev during my first job out of college. I do enjoy programming and I could probably pick up Java or C/C++ again fairly quickly if it comes to that.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I would say: San Jose (Silicon Valley), San Francisco, Austin, DC, RTP, Boston, Seattle

Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM

ccm123, I forgot to list Seattle and Raleigh! Definitely.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

NYC
San Fran
DC
Boston
Denver
Atlanta

If the IT job market is hot in ATL, it is certainly the least expensive to live in. Much closer to what you've been used to in Austin.
Yes, I didn't think of it that way, but my list does seem like that adjusted for COL highest to lowest.

I was thinking more about city-size. Atlanta is the cheapest on this list, similar in cost to that of Dallas, another good IT hub.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

NYC
San Fran
DC
Boston
Denver
Atlanta

I would include Austin and Dallas on that list as well. Dallas being the cheaper of the two. Believe it or not, Tampa actually has a growing tech industry as well. Seattle should also be on the list, but also very expensive.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Amazon in Seattle is still building more highrise offices for tech staff, and there are several columns of jobs from various other tech employers in the Sunday Seattle times every week.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Austin is the Silicon Valley of the south. Austin, Dallas, and Houston are having severe shortage of people to fill the tech jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment