Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,900,544 times

Advertisements

My last job was as an accountant for Central Environmental in Anchorage and the supervisor and coworkers were extremely abusive. Frequently people would be berated so much and so loudly that they would be reduced to tears. Mistakes by the boss would be blamed on the staff. Coworkers would bully each other. New employees would begin to act like beaten dogs with their tail between their legs. What should a person do if they find themselves in this type of environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:48 AM

164 posts, read 267,126 times
I would definitively quit, but that's just me. I quit my last job on the first day. Hopefully you live in an area with many companies hiring and in need of your skill. I just don't believe that anyone should have to work in an abusive place as you are typically there from morning to evening everyday.

Success3

Old 06-15-2013, 05:28 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,787,726 times
People need to realize that it is just a job, and everyone makes mistakes. Own up to them and move on. Chances are, small mistakes will not have a significant impact on anything. It is the fault of management for this behavior. Terrible people are led by terrible managers. I would go to HR and say "hostile work environment". In fact, I was in a similar situation recently with hostile coworkers. They would make you feel an inch tall. I went to HR and complained. It got all the way up to the President of the company. They got their act together...but then again, if HR or higher doesnt do anything, then it is a lost cause.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,780,863 times
Like the others said, management usually sets the tone or culture of a work place. You generally know the dysfunctional work culture won't get better if you complain about it and it won't, so the best option is to find other work and get out.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 AM

23,634 posts, read 24,182,090 times
I have worked in such a place, and I call it a dysfunctional working environment. I left, because I could not deal with it any longer. My current work place is much better and much more professional.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 AM

211 posts, read 410,885 times
I call that a toxic environment. My last place of employment was like that, I did speak with a friend that worked in the HR dept about it, her answer was that in a organization that employee's 71k members things like that will happen. I started looking for a new position that day and never looked back.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,023,443 times
You stick it out until you find something better! And it's easy to not use them as a reference because you tell the prospective job that you don't want your current job to know you are looking, most jobs understand that and respect it.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,900,544 times
It is such a small company that they don't have an HR department. I decided that my sanity was more important so I quit. Now I am trying to prove my case to unemployment.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,850,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
My last job was as an accountant for Central Environmental in Anchorage and the supervisor and coworkers were extremely abusive. Frequently people would be berated so much and so loudly that they would be reduced to tears. Mistakes by the boss would be blamed on the staff. Coworkers would bully each other. New employees would begin to act like beaten dogs with their tail between their legs. What should a person do if they find themselves in this type of environment?
People in Alaska are nuts.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,580,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I have worked in such a place, and I call it a dysfunctional working environment. I left, because I could not deal with it any longer. My current work place is much better and much more professional.
What she/he said! Get out! Life is too short to endure this sort of nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment