Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,802,736 times

Advertisements

My mother was a housekeeping boss in a hotel in the 1970s and tipping was common then. The maids work very hard for very little money and only a poor person shouldn't be expected to tip them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM

480 posts, read 670,126 times
Some guy is going to clean my rental car after I return it. Do I need to tip them as well?

If not, why not since he will be doing the same services to the rental car as the maid is doing to the hotel room?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,716,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
That's called a job, and you get something called a paycheck when you work at a job.

Do you tip the person who cleans the toilets and washes the showers at your gym? Your office? What about the rest stop bathroom you use? What about if you use the bathroom at the airport? Do you need to tip the cleaner there?
So...you don't tip anyone? After all, bartenders are paid to pour drinks, waiters are paid to serve food, etc.

My office does tip the cleaning service who takes care of our office (usually at the end of every month). I tip my maid at home on top of what she charges. I tip waitstaff and bartenders at restaurants, the valets who park my car, and the bellmen who take my luggage to or from the room. If I'm in a club or a high-end restaurant with a bathroom attendant, I tip them as well.

I also get a "tip" at my job as well, if you consider an end of year bonus a "tip".

Quote:
We also have a thing called a minimum wage in this country
I am well aware of this. I worked my way through college and grad school delivering pizzas and waiting on tables while making minimum wage so I know what it is like to do those kinds of jobs and I know that they suck and involve hard work and I have no issue tipping for services.

Quote:
I agree if we leave a mess to tip, but if we don't leave a mess, don't ask for extras, and generally take care of the place, I'm not seeing the purpose in leaving a tip.
Some people are cheap. Their choice.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,802,736 times
Quote:
Some guy is going to clean my rental car after I return it. Do I need to tip them as well?

If not, why not since he will be doing the same services to the rental car as the maid is doing to the hotel room?
Tipping hotel maids is customary but if you want to tip people who clean rental cars have a field day.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,820,229 times
Quote:
That's called a job, and you get something called a paycheck when you work at a job.

Do you tip the person who cleans the toilets and washes the showers at your gym? Your office? What about the rest stop bathroom you use? What about if you use the bathroom at the airport? Do you need to tip the cleaner there?

We also have a thing called a minimum wage in this country, and I guarantee you that hotel maids do not make less than many other non-tipped workes. Nor do they work any harder than fast food workers, bank tellers, etc, etc.

I agree if we leave a mess to tip, but if we don't leave a mess, don't ask for extras, and generally take care of the place, I'm not seeing the purpose in leaving a tip. It's not like people that work in other non-tipped professions get paid more.
I always tip because I know that anyone that's cleaning my toilet needs the money more than I do.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I only do it at the end. And not nearly as much as some have posted.
I understood that the "rule" was $1 per person per day.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,182,854 times
I tip people who provided a personal service to me: carry my bags, clean my room, gave me extra towels, pour coffee in my cup, etc.
I don't tip people who does this service in a public area for everyone: clean public bathrooms, bus driver, etc.

Reservoir Dogs - Tips For The Tippers - YouTube

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM

466 posts, read 817,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Tipping hotel maids is customary but if you want to tip people who clean rental cars have a field day.
But he does have a good point. I feel like at some point, tipping for all kinds of things will become customary. His example of a bank teller is excellent. I think lots of people think bank tellers are decently paid because they have to look nice and professional. But many, many bank tellers only make minimum wage. I'm sure lots of service people earn higher base wages than they do without tips.

For what it's worth, I did wait tables my senior year of college for $2.13 plus tips, so I tend to side-eye anyone who makes minimum wage and beyond who cries, "But I need tips, too!" But I give them because it's expected. I don't do tip jars, though. Nope. LOL

Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,716,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I understood that the "rule" was $1 per person per day.
I've never really hard any rules around tipping hotel maids, it seems to vary from person to person. $1 per day for one person sounds a bit low. Now for bellmen - $1 per bag is typically accepted as a standard.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,023,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
So...you don't tip anyone? After all, bartenders are paid to pour drinks, waiters are paid to serve food, etc.
But bartenders and waiters don't make min. wage like maids do. My hairdresser gets paid by the haircut, the girl who does my eyebrows, same thing.

I don't think it's being cheap for not doing something you never even knew to do! Seriously, the whole tipping the maid thing is news to me.

I agree, the maids job is to clean, now if they do something above and beyond for me, that's different, of course I'd feel a need to tip! But I'm the guest who cleans up after herself for the most part lol.

Though am I going to tip from now on? I'm not sure, to be honest probably not unless I'm at a hotel more than a few days or get particularly good service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment