Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM

54 posts, read 86,222 times

Advertisements

What city,state do you live? I highly suggest getting into brand ambassador work. It is easy work and usually starts @ $15/hr +
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM

28 posts, read 51,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Hun, your parents went to college what, 30 years ago? VERY different world.

When teachers said after college you'll get a job right away, well pft, they were wrong! That rarely happens nowadays.

Also, say you move down 4-8 hours away, then find a job in your hometown, you going to move back? That's a huge pain.

If you want to stay living in your area, then only look in your area. I wouldn't take that job. Specially since you are living at home with your parents and they are fine with that.
I don't particularly want to stay in the area my parents are in. I'd actually love to go out of state.

This job that pays $11/hour is actually kind of in my dream location. And it's not my dream job but I have opportunities for advancement there. Does that mean anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Dont buy into the doom and gloom. Economics is a pretty good degree.

You will be considered for plenty of jobs paying 30-45k. No need to rush into a job where you are working for peanuts
I don't want to work in the field of economics or finance though, does that make a difference in salary? Right now I'm looking at the hospitality field.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bueno guy View Post
What city,state do you live? I highly suggest getting into brand ambassador work. It is easy work and usually starts @ $15/hr +
What exactly is a brand ambassador? Sounds kinda like sales, and I want to avoid retail/sales at all possible costs.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineandSeminoles View Post
What exactly is a brand ambassador? Sounds kinda like sales, and I want to avoid retail/sales at all possible costs.
"Brand Ambassador is a marketing term for a person employed by an organization or company to promote its products or services within the activity known as branding. The brand ambassador is meant to embody the corporate identity in appearance, demeanor, values and ethics."

Brand ambassador - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bueno guy View Post
"Brand Ambassador is a marketing term for a person employed by an organization or company to promote its products or services within the activity known as branding. The brand ambassador is meant to embody the corporate identity in appearance, demeanor, values and ethics."

Brand ambassador - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hmm, cool. Never heard of it before. Is it something lots of companies have?

Also, another side question... some people say I shouldn't move so far away for such little pay. But I'm 22 years old, I don't have a mortgage, family, marriage, or really anything tied to my name. Do I really have anything to lose by moving 8 hours away for a low paying full time job?

Some of my friends have said it would be a bad financial decision, but I'm just curious as to how? I'd have an income, right?

I'm really not meaning to be ignorant about this, I honestly just had no idea what to expect when entering the job market and so now I feel like I'm in a whirlwind. Yes, my university had student career services, but the career service center was ran by other students, lol, not HR people, not recruiting people, just other undergrad students. So my insight has been limited.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 PM

4,288 posts, read 10,776,631 times
Quote:
I don't want to work in the field of economics or finance though, does that make a difference in salary? Right now I'm looking at the hospitality field.
$11 is a poverty wage. It is tough to get a full time job making less. Its bad no matter what the field is.

You could make $15 an hour waitressing at Chili's.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Check out different marketing companies like, Fusion Event Staffing.

Also, another side question... some people say I shouldn't move so far away for such little pay. But I'm 22 years old, I don't have a mortgage, family, marriage, or really anything tied to my name. Do I really have anything to lose by moving 8 hours away for a low paying full time job?

How much money do you have saved up?

Some of my friends have said it would be a bad financial decision, but I'm just curious as to how? I'd have an income, right?

Does the job offer a relocation package? I recently graduated too; and I chose to look for jobs that are about a couple of hours away( 2 hours max). Reason being, some companies do not offer it at all. Where is your location?

I'm really not meaning to be ignorant about this, I honestly just had no idea what to expect when entering the job market and so now I feel like I'm in a whirlwind. Yes, my university had student career services, but the career service center was ran by other students, lol, not HR people, not recruiting people, just other undergrad students. So my insight has been limited.
Everything is in bold

Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
$11 is a poverty wage. It is tough to get a full time job making less. Its bad no matter what the field is.

You could make $15 an hour waitressing at Chili's.
Yup you can't eat making $11/hr.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Check out different marketing companies like, Fusion Event Staffing.

How much money do you have saved up?

Does the job offer a relocation package? I recently graduated too; and I chose to look for jobs that are about a couple of hours away( 2 hours max). Reason being, some companies do not offer it at all. Where is your location?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 PM

4,288 posts, read 10,776,631 times
Quote:

Do you want to build a career? If you just want to go have some fun, live like a hipster and work for minimal pay working at a resort for a couple years, that is your prerogative. But it is what it is, and its not a move you would make in order to advance a career/make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment