Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:50 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what the pay is like at retail stores like Target, Wal-Mart, Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Kohl's? My dad says he thinks he heard they can make up to $75,000 at Target in CA.

I'm interning for an HR department at a large hospital and I would love to stay on at the hospital, but I'm not sure if they have an opening and also not sure if they like me that much. I'm pretty new to HR and even though I've worked in an office before as a phone receptionist, all of the HR work I'm so new at.

I know there is an insurance company that is doing a lot of hiring of new college grads. I did hear there is a hire turn over rate in these insurance companies.

Anyways, any ideas on the retail stores pay? Is their a high turn over rate there too?

I'm looking for work in Santa Maria, CA and I am a senior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a major in Sociology and concentration in criminal justice, but I have taken some HR classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM

25 posts, read 72,996 times
At one of my workplaces (which is a small, niche electronics retailer), there is a dedicated HR manager who handles scheduling, sexual harassment complaints, in addition to other retail duties that most store managers handle. Pay is approximately $20 to $25 an hour with 40 hours a week guaranteed, which overtime during the shopping season.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
You are not going to find wages like the ones you are looking for in Santa Maria, I can guarantee you that.

As for working in HR in SM, try Den-Mat. (In case you haven't guessed I grew up in the area) Den-Mat is always hiring and at one point, everyone in SM has worked for them. They may have an opening in the i HR department.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:52 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
The upper guys in the company can. The lowly workers themselves will be lucky to get 24,000 a year until they move up, aquire looooots of years with the company or leave.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You are not going to find wages like the ones you are looking for in Santa Maria, I can guarantee you that.

As for working in HR in SM, try Den-Mat. (In case you haven't guessed I grew up in the area) Den-Mat is always hiring and at one point, everyone in SM has worked for them. They may have an opening in the i HR department.
I do not agree with you at all. The HR employees at my internship earn a decent salary. I can name several places I know that are not hiring, but have HR that pay well. Sure, not like pay in a big city like San Francisco or LA, but still decent.

I'm looking for at least $50,000 a year.

Also, Den-Mat moved to Lompoc.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Anyone know what the pay is like at retail stores like Target, Wal-Mart, Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Kohl's? My dad says he thinks he heard they can make up to $75,000 at Target in CA.

I'm interning for an HR department at a large hospital and I would love to stay on at the hospital, but I'm not sure if they have an opening and also not sure if they like me that much. I'm pretty new to HR and even though I've worked in an office before as a phone receptionist, all of the HR work I'm so new at.

I know there is an insurance company that is doing a lot of hiring of new college grads. I did hear there is a hire turn over rate in these insurance companies.

Anyways, any ideas on the retail stores pay? Is their a high turn over rate there too?

I'm looking for work in Santa Maria, CA and I am a senior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a major in Sociology and concentration in criminal justice, but I have taken some HR classes.
HR at what level? Within the stores no. HR is hourly there, top pay would be 20ish an hour. If you get to market level, 75k easily.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I do not agree with you at all. The HR employees at my internship earn a decent salary. I can name several places I know that are not hiring, but have HR that pay well. Sure, not like pay in a big city like San Francisco or LA, but still decent.

I'm looking for at least $50,000 a year.

Also, Den-Mat moved to Lompoc.
Feel free to disagree. But when you are cashing your checks and making nowhere near 50k (you need at least the PHR for that wage) please feel free to remember what I said.

Didn't know they moved. Still one of your best bets.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
HR at what level? Within the stores no. HR is hourly there, top pay would be 20ish an hour. If you get to market level, 75k easily.
And the "market level" you speak of is not in Santa Maria. There are reasons I left...the salary and employment opportunities being a major factor.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
And the "market level" you speak of is not in Santa Maria. There are reasons I left...the salary and employment opportunities being a major factor.
Zodiac, Hancock, Marian Hospital, The Base, and some other firms pay HR employees well. The area has gotten better and continues to do so.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM

244 posts, read 633,958 times
In my retail experience, only one company has had an actual HR Manager and that was Sears. She was more of a Supervisor who made $15-16/HR. You can make very good money in retail at the Store Manager level and above, but as far as I've seen thats not the case with HR, at least not at the store level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment