Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 PM

159 posts, read 339,239 times

Advertisements

I consider myself introverted -- not shy necessarily -- just introverted. I'm not quick to speak...I think things through before I say or comment on something. I am a middle child so I'm used to a certain level of independence. I can collaborate with others and I am a kind person. I have a relationship, and I have friends. I'm not socially inept.

However, I think my personality clashes with the corporate world, where one has to make themselves stand apart by kissing ass, always having something to say at every meeting, pretending to get a long and like everyone, etc.

In the past, I've received feedback that I'm not vocal enough in meetings. I just feel like talking for the sake of talking is not my authentic self. Many times, meetings I find meetings, draining, and they take away time from work getting done.

I need an environment where my work can speak for itself. But I wonder if it's better to go where my work and contributions appreciated (and my personality isn't an issue), or to challenge myself to adapt to world that doesn't "fit" my personality. I am open to change, but to what extent should I compromise in order to keep my inner peace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,013,391 times
The best advise I would give you is to find work that fits with your personality/passion. What type of work do you do now? What field are you in?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 PM

840 posts, read 1,148,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
The best advise I would give you is to find work that fits with your personality/passion. What type of work do you do now? What field are you in?
Yeah, certain fields like research are more independent. If working for yourself also cut out the BS and you'll sink or swim base on your own merit.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:11 PM

159 posts, read 339,239 times
Quote:
I work in human resources for a large, global company.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:35 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,588,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
I consider myself introverted -- not shy necessarily -- just introverted. I'm not quick to speak...I think things through before I say or comment on something. I am a middle child so I'm used to a certain level of independence. I can collaborate with others and I am a kind person. I have a relationship, and I have friends. I'm not socially inept.

However, I think my personality clashes with the corporate world, where one has to make themselves stand apart by kissing ass, always having something to say at every meeting, pretending to get a long and like everyone, etc.

In the past, I've received feedback that I'm not vocal enough in meetings. I just feel like talking for the sake of talking is not my authentic self. Many times, meetings I find meetings, draining, and they take away time from work getting done.

I need an environment where my work can speak for itself. But I wonder if it's better to go where my work and contributions appreciated (and my personality isn't an issue), or to challenge myself to adapt to world that doesn't "fit" my personality. I am open to change, but to what extent should I compromise in order to keep my inner peace?
Unfortunately, I think it's very rare for work to be all that is required. Most of the time, soft skills count for just as much, if not more. However, you might find a place where you simply fit in better and feel more comfortable.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,848,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Unfortunately, I think it's very rare for work to be all that is required. Most of the time, soft skills count for just as much, if not more. However, you might find a place where you simply fit in better and feel more comfortable.
Or you could try to get a union job. Once you are in, you can do whatever you want. You can tell your boss to shut up, call him a gigantic sweat hog or whatever to his face, and not get fired.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:46 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,749,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Or you could try to get a union job.
Good luck with that in 2013 (especially with so many union folks still out of work now).

Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,347,737 times
Quote:
I wish it were that simple.

Facts are, the "new economy" is a much less-friendly place for the introvert and/or seeker of autonomy / privacy. New forms of "cyber-micromanagement" make it impossible to escape the prying eyes of Big Brother / Sister for very long, and some of them have made many jobs in which isolation was seen as a benefit harder to find, when not totally eliminated. The constant pressure has turned some shop floors into the scene of little more than eight hours of calisthetics -- bad news in a culture where work rules used to provide less- regimented and less-stressful jobs for senior employees. it's a case of "Dance Faster -- or Else!"

Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,747,329 times
For me this is the age-old question. I've been fired from a job because I wasn't a party girl. It was an office full of party girls and when an old friend of the boss came back to town (small town) after a long absence, they opted to fire me so they could replace me with her, because she'd participate in their two hour drunken lunches and after-work clubbing. Simple fact of life.

I don't have answers, but I am trying to carve out a career choice that allows me to work one on one and out of the office environment, seems like the best chance for me to be judged on what I accomplish vs how many times I go out with the gang on Friday night.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,675,603 times
Find a coach to help you develop your skills. You can't, and shouldn't, try to change your personality but you can gain confidence to speak a your quiet truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment