Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 AM

212 posts, read 1,003,420 times

Advertisements

Today I'm taking a sick day, which is my second one this month. Though I'm happy to have time to rest, my supervisor sent me an email that said "again?!" so now I am paranoid that I might be taking too much time off. What do you think?

The last sick day I took was 3 weeks ago. Before that, I hadn't called in sick since February but I did take a week long vacation in April. That's 8 days of combined vacation (which was requested off in advance) and unplanned sick days this year. Keep in mind that when I do call in sick I check my emails and do as much work from home as I can.

Ironically, I think my latest cold was caught through my cube neighbor who was hacking and sneezing last week. On top of that, I've never been so sick at a job since starting at this place - I think the stress it causes has lowered my immunity or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
I take about one sick day a year.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Planned vacation and sick days are unrelated. 2 days is certainly not unreasonable.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM

303 posts, read 595,501 times
Pff. Sick days exist for a reason. It prevents virus pandemics from destroying office productivity and allows for things like Doctor's Appointments and other requisites for healthy living.

Two sick days in a month is nothing - my company gives us 10 sick days in a year in addition to our vacation weeks.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,482 times
I get one sick day a month. Although I don't use them all, I probably take 4-5 a year.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I would not even take into consideration the vacation days you have mentioned.

It's almost July, so I do not think you've taken a lot of sick days.

I think some people fail to understand that some people are more likely to get sick than others. My old co-worker and I used to joke about the fact that she was young and somehow managed to get things like the mumps a few years ago, diverticulitis, etc. Things that require time off. I used to be sick all of the time. Now if people want me to come into the office with the flu that's so bad my family almost brings me to the ER, I'd question their sanity.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Does your company have a sick leave policy?

I believe our hourly employees accumulate a day a month. Some burn through them as fast as they get them while some roll a lot of them over year to year so that if they actually get very sick or need to be hospitalized, they have hundreds of hours of sick time on the books so they can keep getting paid at 100%.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Three sick days since the beginning of the year is not unreasonable. As other posters note, unscheduled sick days are unrelated to vacation.

Has your boss given you any other reason to question your performance? If s/he is concerned with your productivity overall, the the fact that you are out for a second day this month may indicate concern that you are unable to catch up. Is this a busy time of year for you? The same concerns may result.

If you have no indication that your boss is unhappy with you overall, then I would not worry about it.

Yes, I realize people are going to post responses saying that I am being unreasonable, that sick days are not related to job ability. The fact is that employees are expected to get your job done in the time available to you. If the time available is reduced by sickness or vacation, you are still expected to get your job done. If you are a struggling employee, then a day or two away from work will bring your poor job performance under scrutiny as people have to cover for you.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
I average about 2 sick days a year. I have colleagues who seemingly take a few days every month. Of course they're family or friends of family( it's a family business) so I guess they're on unlimited sick/vacation plan.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Today I'm taking a sick day, which is my second one this month. Though I'm happy to have time to rest, my supervisor sent me an email that said "again?!" so now I am paranoid that I might be taking too much time off. What do you think?
You're fine, except that you're supervised by an ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment