Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 PM

77 posts, read 353,918 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question hopefully someone can help. I put in my 2 week notice and spoke with HR about paying out my sick time. I work full time and worked over the 90 days needed to secure my benefits. HR told me that they do not pay for sick time accrued. Here is where it gets tricky, before I heard back from HR I started looking in my employee handbook and it says:

"Eligible employees in good standing who resign, give the requested amount of notice, and complete their preplanned work schedule will be paid for sick time at 100% of their current hourly rate of pay for the unused accrued sick time earned."

I informed the HR manager that I am aware this is in the handbook and she said that they haven't been paying people for a couple years now but she will talk to corporate. She also said they need to update their handbook. At the bottom of the page it even says effective July 1, 2009. I have a feeling corporate will not want to pay anything they don't have to. Do I have any rights here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
If they made a change to the corporate policy, they need to be sure that all employees are aware of it by sending an e-mail, putting a notice on the bottom of paystubs, etc. You are in the right.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
That's totally sneaky; they should have updated the handbook to include this change. I wish I could offer more advice than this. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:02 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley111 View Post

"Eligible employees in good standing who resign, give the requested amount of notice, and complete their preplanned work schedule will be paid for sick time at 100% of their current hourly rate of pay for the unused accrued sick time earned."

At the bottom of the page it even says effective July 1, 2009. I have a feeling corporate will not want to pay anything they don't have to. Do I have any rights here??
Do they normally have employees sign a piece of paper stating they received a copy of the company policies and the date? If this policy is effective 7/1/09 and you resigned after that, they should pay it IMO. Watch out if they bombard you with extra work so they could disqualify you by saying you didn't "complete their preplanned work schedule". You have not been there long, right? How many days could you have accrued? 2 or 3?

I don't know what state you are in but the NJDOL says
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Wage and Hour Compliance FAQs

DISCHARGE OR TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT

Q. When does an employer have to pay final wages to a terminated employee?

A. The employer may wait until the next regular payday designated for the pay period regardless of whether the employee quit or was fired.

So, if you do get paid for it, it should be in your final check from them.

I was laid off many years ago with 9 accrued vacation days and I was never paid for them. Apparently being let go during February prior to my anniversary date that June, meant that I would not receive anything. Had they waited until June to let me go, I would have been paid for all of it. Go Figure!

Check out the Labor Law Talk forums
Employment and Labor Law - Labor Law Talk
and also the forums at Expert Law
Unemployment Insurance - Legal Help

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
There aren't any Federal Laws pertaining to the payout of sick or vacation days (state laws may vary). Actually, it's commonplace for a company to pay out unused vacation because it's an accrued liability on their books, but it's rare that a company actually pays out unused sick days.

It sounds like they changed the policy but not their handbook though, so the right thing to do would be for them to pay you. Good Luck.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:25 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
As annerk said, you are in the right here, but where I used to work we were told at the start that in this situation our accrued sick days won't be paid out but our accrued vacation days will be.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
You might be in the right, but I doubt that you will get the money.

If the company refuses to pay you, you will need a lawyer to file a lawsuit. Paying the lawyer will cost you more than any money you may recoup in sick leave if you win.

This is one of those times where you walk away, chalk it up to getting a bad deal, and get on with life.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You might be in the right, but I doubt that you will get the money.

If the company refuses to pay you, you will need a lawyer to file a lawsuit. Paying the lawyer will cost you more than any money you may recoup in sick leave if you win.

This is one of those times where you walk away, chalk it up to getting a bad deal, and get on with life.
I disagree that you'll need a lawyer. If you've got a copy of the employee handbook, keep it offsite. After you leave and get your final paycheck, if the sick pay isn't included, write a demand letter for it, telling them that per the company handbook it is due you, and that the company never notified you in writing of a change to their policy, therefore legally no change exists. Tell them they have 10 days to cut a check, or you will file a complaint with your state department of labor.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Probably on the last page somewhere it says.

"All rules and benefits are subject to change without notice".

Old 12-02-2009, 10:28 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,020 times
A guy at my old job put in his 2 weeks notice and took the next 9 days off by calling in sick. His boss wasn't amused but this compnay does not pay out accrued sick days.

How many sick days are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment