Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:30 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times

Advertisements

I almost fell for a secret shopper job scam years ago. It was in a moment of desperation (out of work for two months).

I called the job ad number, spoke to a woman with a voice as smooth as silk, heard her typing on a computer keyboard, and thought things were okey-dokey.

After obtaining my name and address (silly me), she named some secret shopper jobs in my area. I thought we were on good ground.

Then she asked for my debit card number (for fees, or whatever she said). I stopped the mess in its tracks by saying, "No! This is a scam. You're not getting my debit card number, or anything more." Her response? Clicka-rooney (she hung up).

I'm sorry to have been in such a depressed, hopeless, and desperate state to nearly fall into a trap. Who knows where it may have lead. Thankfully, there were no repercussions.

Has anyone else fallen (or nearly fallen) for job scams - or know anyone who has? I should have been wiser, but my emotions and worries nearly got the best of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
I nearly went to interview for a management position a local energy retailer but I couldn't get off work. I read later that the title was a scam the job was going door to door selling an alternative energy provider's services. I'd also get countless interview invitations for MLM companies like The Lionheartgroup, Pimerica, etc but a quick google of the company name told me what they were all about.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I nearly went to interview for a management position a local energy retailer but I couldn't get off work. I read later that the title was a scam the job was going door to door selling an alternative energy provider's services. I'd also get countless interview invitations for MLM companies like The Lionheartgroup, Pimerica, etc but a quick google of the company name told me what they were all about.
Oooh, I bet I know the name of that "alternative energy provider's services", but I can't/won't mention it.

I've heard of Primerica, but not The Lionheartgroup.

I used to get e-mail stating that I was hired (sight unseen) for a job, but I was to accept packages at my home, cash a check, wire something, and other bull. I told them they were scammers; never heard from them again (I THINK). Now my e-mail filters crap like that - and I delete it.

A friend told me that her friend attempted to cash a check at a bank, and she was arrested and charged with a felony. Now she can't get a decent job. However, she makes good money as an in-home beautician. Yep, the friend fell for a job scam that got her in a world of hurt.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 AM

244 posts, read 634,010 times
Almost got pyramided into Primerica 11 years ago.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
When I was a teenager, I "interviewed" with Vector (sells Cutco products) and Kirby Vacuums. Some people might not consider those jobs to be scams, but I do.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
When I was a teenager, I "interviewed" with Vector (sells Cutco products) and Kirby Vacuums. Some people might not consider those jobs to be scams, but I do.
I remember it was like 2 weeks after graduating high school and I got a letter in the mail congratulating me on graduating and inviting me for an interview with Vector. I was so pumped that someone had reconized my monumental achievement of graduating high school! I went, and it was a group demonstration of the knives and a guy asking me for $300 check in case I ran off with the demonstration knife kit they were going to give me.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
There were a few. Mostly commissioned sales jobs. I got a job with Vector Marketing but by the end of the third day I knew I couldn't do it. The others I just interviewed with and glad I didn't get those jobs. These were "local" sub-contractors for DirecTV and Century Link. They promote themselves as working with numerous companies but end up doing it with these communication companies. Then they treat the employees bad and only give them first crack commissions. At least Vector you COULD have repeat business if you are good enough and they have enough family that you can sell them the different sets.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM

214 posts, read 140,277 times
Primerica is the "poster child" of MLM scams. However, they're also the "poster children" of snake oil salesmen, so be very leary of anything coming out of their mouths. Over 1,375,000 have fallen for their pitch, but left, in the last 6 years alone.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:56 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
I got the pitch from Primerica, Pre paid legal many years ago. Primerica got me to a meeting where I said no way. A scary one was a self help group that a friend tried to get me into. Turned her real weird I posted about it some time ago. She got out thankfully but spent lots of $$ first.

Scams, scams everywhere. And someone always falls for it sadly. And often people in an already bad position.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:57 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Here's a job scam that got me. It was back in the 80's.

I was going to school and saw a night security job at a massive city water project in Rochester N.Y.
They were digging a water tunnel and the job was from 10pm to 6am watching the equipment. I had to make rounds once an hour. It would be perfect I thought; plenty of time to study between rounds.

I worked the first week and all was well. On the second week I worked every day and then on Friday morning I get a call from the security company which was named "Falvo Security". They told me my new work assignment was a convenience store in the Ghetto of Rochester. It was an area that was on the news at least once a week for shootings. The guy tells me I have to prevent shoplifting and fighting in the store. I told him I wasn't going to do it for minimum wage. He told me if I didn't I would be fired. I drove by the place to drop off my uniform and pick up my check for the two weeks worked. He refused to pay me.

Turns out this guy was doing it to a lot of people; getting two "free weeks" of work out of them. He had probably already hired someone to work the construction project that night and end up being the sucker two weeks later.

It took me almost two years to finally get any money and it was under half of what he owed me. I had to file a complaint with the department of labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment