Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

I work on a 2-person team. My colleague is the same position as me, although I am the senior employee (with 5.5 years in the role, while she has 1.5 years). We both report to the same boss. This boss does not do what we do, we do not work FOR her, and the work we produce has no immediate impact on the work that SHE produces. The work we produce is for other people...other internal customers. We are currently in the process of interviewing and soon will be hiring 2 new people to our team, so that my team will then consist of 4 people. We four will all report to the boss we have now.

At work, I'm known for my strong work ethic. I have two self-imposed professional imperatives: 1) I want always to produce high-quality work; and 2) I never want to create additional work or hardships for other people. (I am VERY aware that my company demands a lot from its employees, and we all have enough on our plates without other people adding to the workload.) I work daily with about 20 people who are my "regular" customers, plus many, many more throughout the company who may need my services as the situation warrants. My company has a "peer recognition" program, and I have received 17 such recognitions since March. Almost always, the recognitions laud my work ethic and my sense of team, specifically.

In my personal life, I am accustomed to going it alone. I have to, because I am a single person with no children and no family in the area. My whole life is shaped by this question: "How will I manage this by myself?" Because of this mindset (and necessity), I am a planner. I like to start things well in advance, I am crazily well-organized, and I tend to be task-focused. Those characteristics translate exactly when it comes to my job. And also when it comes to my job, my attitude is this: I want to do MY work, and I want everyone else to do THEIR work. Please understand that what I'm saying here is not that I don't want to be helpful in general. I am. I'm not opposed to helping people. But only if I feel they are carrying their share of the burden and truly need some occasional help. I DON'T want to help others (or feel obligated to help others) if they need the help because they have procrastinated or mismanaged their time or voluntarily taken on more than they can do, despite what's currently in their queue. And I don't want to feel like I'm constantly having to help the same people with the same work for the same reasons over and over again.

What I'm struggling with now is that that word -- "team" -- and its derivative -- "teamwork" -- evidently mean different things to different people. I'm aware that MY definition is informed by my personal life/situation and by the necessity of being completely self-sufficient and independent: You do (and own) your work, and I'll do (and own) my work, and we'll both get the work done and that will make us a successful team. But I also recognize that in this way, I am probably not like anyone else on my team. My colleague and my boss both have external/personal lives that come with a support network that means they DON'T have to always be completely self-sufficient and independent. They're accustomed to asking for and receiving help. And just as my personal life informs my work life/ethic/style, so must theirs.

Given the fact that we've got 2 new people coming into the team soon, I feel like this is something I have to reconcile. I'm not sure if the issue is with me -- do I just need to accept the fact that their definition of Team is the one that wins the day, and suck it up and offer to help them do their work...even when I'm just helping them get out of scrapes they got themselves into through their own mismanagement? (And if that's the case, how do I swallow the resentment?) Or do I need to address this issue with my boss and possibly with my colleague as well -- you know, as a team -- so we can level-set the playing field? And if that's the best option, how on earth do I go about that diplomatically and professionally?

I'm looking for some perspective and advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM

421 posts, read 880,179 times
I would just keep doing things your way.

You said the work you do has no impact on the work your boss produces so she probably won't get involved if your partner starts slacking.

If there's ever a conflict of work not getting done, you're the more senior partner and you (likely) have more "peer recognition" awards than she does. Your method will rue the day.

I would just make sure that the 2 incoming team members understand that your philosophy is what goes around here. If you're successful, then it's 3-1 and your partner will have to cover her workload on her own.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Based on your ability, experience and seniority, you are the informal leader of the team and people will look to you for help. Do you have a good relationship with your boss? Will she back you up when you tell someone that you will offer help when you can but that you are not a supervisor and you will not do their work for them? Even though your work product is not for the boss directly, what is her expectation for you? If she expects you to be a supervisor, I would say a pay raise is in order. Re. the people who mismanage things, do they know or have they ever been shown the correct way to do things?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Do you have input into who gets added to your team?

Maybe you should if you don't?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,771 times
What was the situation 4 years ago when your current colleague joined your team? Were you expected to help her out, or were you allowed to focus strictly on your own tasks? That is probably a good indicator of how your boss will expect you to handle the new team members.

In any "team" situation, the success of the team will rise or fall based on the performance of all of its members. You could be a shining star working your tail off on your own tasks, but if the others fail, then your team as a whole has failed - and that includes you. As the most senior employee in a group that reports to a boss with no direct interest in the team's activities, you are the de facto team leader. Thus, if the team fails, it will make you look bad.

If you're not comfortable being in a leadership role and would prefer to remain strictly an individual contributor, you should express that to your management. They may choose to put someone else in charge of the team and allow you to focus on what you do best. Keep in mind that the new team leader will likely be someone who is less senior than you.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
What you're experiencing is the transition from worker to leader. The question is, is that what you want? If you want to just be a worker bee, and there's nothing wrong with that, you need to express that to your leadership, as likely they're expecting you to be more collaborative as the team size grows. You'll go from this is mine, to, these tasks are assigned, and part of the greater whole, with checks and audits to ensure that the quality is up to standard.

Not everyone wants to be a leader, but it sounds like you're being directed that way, so if it's not to your liking, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM

"the success of the team will rise or fall based on the performance of all of its members. You could be a shining star working your tail off on your own tasks, but if the others fail, then your team as a whole has failed - and that includes you."

No, the junior employee failed then.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM

217 posts, read 512,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
"the success of the team will rise or fall based on the performance of all of its members. You could be a shining star working your tail off on your own tasks, but if the others fail, then your team as a whole has failed - and that includes you."

No, the junior employee failed then.
I have always been fascinated how that also is true in sports...you know, one player misses the catch that costs the team the game, and the team wins it just excludes the guy who missed the catch and he doesn't get to count it as a win.

Oh, wait...that isn't what happens.

Please cease with your childish antics and obvious plan to see if you can get someone fired.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndTiggerToo View Post
I have always been fascinated how that also is true in sports...you know, one player misses the catch that costs the team the game, and the team wins it just excludes the guy who missed the catch and he doesn't get to count it as a win.

Oh, wait...that isn't what happens.

Please cease with your childish antics and obvious plan to see if you can get someone fired.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your post but if a center scores 40 points and the team still loses, the guy still had a great game.

If another player isn't paying attention and allows the game-winning shot to score, the center still had a great game, regardless of the team's performance.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM

217 posts, read 512,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
I would just keep doing things your way.

You said the work you do has no impact on the work your boss produces so she probably won't get involved if your partner starts slacking.

If there's ever a conflict of work not getting done, you're the more senior partner and you (likely) have more "peer recognition" awards than she does. Your method will rue the day.

I would just make sure that the 2 incoming team members understand that your philosophy is what goes around here. If you're successful, then it's 3-1 and your partner will have to cover her workload on her own.
On what planet is your work location located?

DO you work????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment