Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,441,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
College is overrated while actual knowledge is underrated. There are many "educated" idiots and also many well informed and intelligent people who never went to college.
That's all a matter of perspective. If you didn't go to college, you might be inclined to see this as a reality. IMO, there are definitely educated idiots and intelligent people who never went to college. However, I tend to see this more as an exception than the rule. I tend to see more college grads who are pretty darn smart and non-grads who lack the ability to critically think and analyze. I tend to find that more as the rule than the exception. But then again, I went to college. Perhaps this is my own pre-disposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM

991 posts, read 1,111,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly, that is a big problem right now. We have more book smart people than street smart people today. Perhaps because we want more people in college, they aren't getting enough real world experience.
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. At our company we do not hire people without degrees - many people need to be professionally licensed (which requires a masters). Plenty of the people I work with are both book smart and street smart...sure, there might be the random genius sitting in a cubicle with very few social skills, but by and large our company hires bright, dynamic people.

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 09-05-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
That's all a matter of perspective. If you didn't go to college, you might be inclined to see this as a reality. IMO, there are definitely educated idiots and intelligent people who never went to college. However, I tend to see this more as an exception than the rule. I tend to see more college grads who are pretty darn smart and non-grads who lack the ability to critically think and analyze. I tend to find that more as the rule than the exception. But then again, I went to college. Perhaps this is my own pre-disposition.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that there are educated idiots. There are uneducated degree-holders. That's for sure. I've taught around at several universities (mostly in the northeast). The difference in education between universities is incredible. Schools like John Hopkins and Michigan award diplomas to people they educate. Schools like Penn State and Colorado School of Mines award diplomas to people who sit through classes. Sure, there's exceptions on both ends, but one results in more uneducated degree-holders.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say that there are educated idiots. There are uneducated degree-holders. That's for sure. I've taught around at several universities (mostly in the northeast). The difference in education between universities is incredible. Schools like John Hopkins and Michigan award diplomas to people they educate. Schools like Penn State and Colorado School of Mines award diplomas to people who sit through classes. Sure, there's exceptions on both ends, but one results in more uneducated degree-holders.
Michigan awards plenty of degrees to people who sit through classes.

Columbia and Stanford award degrees to people who sit through classes. What's your point?

That's why GPA is so important. It tells who is trying and who isn't.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Columbia and Stanford award degrees to people who sit through classes. What's your point?

But is GPA an absolute? Perhaps the person with a 3.32 is doing clubs and working while the 4.0 is just doing coursework. I agree it's a large part of the pie but not exclusively the entire pie.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM

120 posts, read 193,928 times
Quote:
But is GPA an absolute? Perhaps the person with a 3.32 is doing clubs and working while the 4.0 is just doing coursework. I agree it's a large part of the pie but not exclusively the entire pie.
Also, in a lot of classes, at least at my university, the median is as low as 2.8 or 2.6. Having a 3.0 GPA means that you are in top ~40% of the class in the competitive ones that pre-med people are doing. On the other hand, a lot of English classes will hand out 4.0's like candy, and all you have to do is write bogus essays interpreting poems or whatever.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

GPA only tells you who is trying and not trying in something that is the least important in terms of higher education. Research and published work is more telling about someone's competency. GPA is pretty useless at the college level.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
I was only addressing his point that people from good schools learn and people from 'crappy' schools like Penn State (lol) take away nothing from their education. In truth, people who try hard learn a lot. If you learn, the material, you do well on the tests. It's pretty damn simple. You don't have to have a 4.0.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,937,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
College is overrated while actual knowledge is underrated. There are many "educated" idiots and also many well informed and intelligent people who never went to college.

Quote:
Exactly, that is a big problem right now. We have more book smart people than street smart people today. Perhaps because we want more people in college, they aren't getting enough real world experience.
MK, I do believe you overlooked the original premise of what was being said. Many are going to college for the wrong reasons. College was designed to be a place for intellectually driven individuals to satisfy their lust for knowledge. Today, many students are simply pursuing education to satisfy a requirement dictated by employers. Either that, or because Hillary Clinton told young people that college grads earn more over the course of their lifetime. Go to college because you want to be smart. That's how I feel about it anyways.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
MK, I do believe you overlooked the original premise of what was being said. Many are going to college for the wrong reasons. College was designed to be a place for intellectually driven individuals to satisfy their lust for knowledge. Today, many students are simply pursuing education to satisfy a requirement dictated by employers. Either that, or because Hillary Clinton told young people that college grads earn more over the course of their lifetime. Go to college because you want to be smart. That's how I feel about it anyways.
It's not that I did. I took it and used my perspective as well. My perspective is we want people to think outside the box but we want them to go into college and when everyone attends colleges they can be fairly binding and create people who think alike and not for themselves. Plus with saying you don't need a job in college, you limit growth of the street smarts at the expense of book smarts.

The issue we have is many of us who were indoctrinated and brainwashed into believing college is about jobs (not about "expanding our knowledge.") Ask millennials about this and we will likely answer that we went to college based on what "Hillary told young people."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment