Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 AM

688 posts, read 652,299 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it's best to omit information about yourself to help fit whatever the prospective employer is looking for. In this case, there is no reason that you need to include your college education when applying. Let them know that you tutored in the past if they ask, but that job is longer available and that's why you no longer do it. Obviously this advice won't solve your problem of being underemployed, but at least you can land that coveted warehouse work while you search for something more appropriate! :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
That pretty much what killed your entire interview.
I say I am looking for a position to build skills in. It doesn't give a time-table for when you would leave and could imply you might stay (if you can face promotions.)

Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
You're supposed to network while in college and land a job before graduation....

Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You're supposed to network while in college and land a job before graduation....
And we all know that there is too many applicants for every available job. Last I checked it is at LEAST four people to every available job.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Even if you are desperate for a job, you never say so. What hiring managers like to hear is how much you want to work for them. A more appropriate answer would have been to say that you want to learn the business from the ground up so that you can work your way up to manager, because you are interested in logistics and have heard that they are a great place to work for.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
Were you in school with a scholarship? I only ask because I'm curious to know how you could now have zero friends/family? How did you pay for school?

If you're up to your neck in student loan debt, get a job at the mall or a department store. Especially as the holidays roll around and the summer workers are going back to school, they won't care about your education, how long you stay, or whatever. They will just need the man hours.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I also wonder what is wrong with going back to school to get a teaching certificate and teaching high school chemistry..... on that, you may not necessarily afford your sibling's schooling, but you can at the very least take care of yourself.

Someone on here said that they didn't care if someone in college waited tables at Olive Garden for beer money, but I really disagree with that statement. To me, I'd be more concerned if I saw someone's resume that just said school. You've never held a job, ever. So I'd be taking on a huge liability. If I had a kid in the same position, same school experience who worked while in college, I'd commend their time management skills a little more. I worked full time through college and while I was not a science major, I was a finance major with many demands outside of the classroom (major group projects to write business plans, present to venture capitalists). I think saying you're too busy to work is an excuse. I can't think of anyone who couldn't have worked if they were willing to, since all you have to do is prioritize your time). To me, I guess I'd just wonder how motivated someone was to never hold a job or never have an internship.....

Also, I know of people who have left degrees off of a resume who were hired just fine, even with the background check.

Not trying to be rude, but any recent graduate has hit the "entry level jobs are asking for 2 years of experience conundrum." I experienced it as a finance grad in 2008, probably the absolute best time to graduate with a finance degree with the collapse of the banking industry and all of that jazz. It was annoying, but you're not entitled to anything and you are certainly able to apply to these jobs, write a cover letter explaining why you would be perfect for the job anyway, and see what happens.... Also, look into a phlebotomist certification and look into health care companies that have labs.

I took a job as a file clerk with my college degree, when I was asked why I wanted to be a file clerk with my credentials I mentioned that I liked that company, wanted to start anywhere and learn/grow with the organization. I took staples out of paper and drew black lines on things for 8 hours a day and was happy to do so. I was promoted to a junior staff accountant position within a year and a half, just because I proved I was there to work and learn, no matter what the job. It's about having the right attitude that a "for now" position doesn't mean that you can't start with that company and grow there. I worked really hard to get somewhere and each job I had previously (whether it be working at golden corral or working as a business systems analyst) taught me how to WORK.... which is something you haven't really had yet. When you get your first job, you will realize how much free time you actually had in college and how you could have worked.

I just think realistically, your best bet may be, get a teaching certificate or an MS in education (some states require an MS in education, some don't.... I know in TX all you have to do is take some tests and pay to be a part of some program), do some student teaching, and apply for a teaching job in a city that needs chemistry teachers. Then, work retail or something during the summers for your sibling's needs.... There's nothing wrong with teaching and within a couple of years, you may be able to get into the lab position you would want.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:32 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Aye op, even if you plan to leave the job as soon as you find something better, you don't tell the employer that. Research the company and really sell yourself as " I see myself working here king term I want to build a career here etc..." , any sort of hint dropping of " I am only doing this till X" really kills most chances of getting employed right there.

As for the entry levl requiring 2-3 years exp, yes it's a bit nonsensical but for many openings it is the norm. Are there still entry level jobs that are actually entry level,willing to train etc.... Yes there are, i actually interviewed for one over the summer, but you will have to dig for them .

I wish you luck with the temp agencies , emphasize you are willing to start from th bottom, whatever shift, and you are willing to learn.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM

186 posts, read 362,410 times
they get your ssn, and they can find out all that other stuff in a heartbeat, man. What are you going to tell them about why you aint been working for the past 4 years, hmm? they can check that you haven't paid into SS or unemployment, etc. So you HAVE to admit the college.

College, especially 4 years of it, is a BAD deal these days. The first 2 years, however, can be exploited really well, if you know what to do.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon89 View Post

What I noticed is that during my interviews for jobs not related to my major, the interviewers tell me that they are looking for a person who will be working in their company for a long time. Right from there, I know I can't say much anymore because whatever I say, they already know that I won't be here for long and know that I am here just for a paycheck for the time being, which is what everyone is doing. I don't know why they called me in for an interview and made it obvious that they most likely won't consider me working in their company, which is a waste of both of our time.

I think it could be your problem too. It doesn't you are not willing to stay with the company for long. They interview you before the may want to hire you. If the won't consider you, they won't call you in and your their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment