Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:00 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how many people actually lie or cheat someway during the hiring process to get a job. I'm a candidly honest guy, and I can't help but feel that I've lost jobs simply because I was... well... TOO HONEST. My view has always been tell the truth, and I'm proud of that, but in the job world, I often feel it hurts me even if I don't have anything to hide. Quick example would be something like a company asking me if I used a certain type of software before because they use it a lot, and I'm honest and say no, EVEN THOUGH I can most definitely learn that software before even starting (self study) and would be up to speed in a couple days. But yea, I tell the truth, and the company writes me off.

So, do you really need to lie to get ahead in today's job market??!

We all know those people that put on the big show for the interviews, and when they get the job, they turn out to be the laziest, most arrogant, most unqualified and talented person you've ever seen.... Yet they dazzle everyone during the interviews. It's disgusting if you ask me.

I even know a few people or have heard stories from other colleagues of people deploying different lying or cheating in order to get the jobs they now hold. The obvious and most common things I hear about are lying about your skills, qualifications, work history and experience (companies rarely seem to check on you to see if what you say is true), but I've seen some even more dastardly things done like lying about your location to appear as a local candidate, or for all those creative positions out there, paying a professional company to create your demo reel for you, or perhaps even paying them to complete a hiring test.

Is this really the reality we live in, where lying and cheating gets you ahead in life? It upsets me to see a system where the good are punished and the bad succeed. It really makes you wonder how bad lying and cheating is when there's such little risk to it. So I'm curious, I'm interested to see how many people have gotten some job in their life by lying or cheating during the hiring process. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
In my view, a better question is........................how many people got ahead in life without cheating and screwing over others.............very few. The really rich people I have know of have screwed people over at work and IRL as well.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
So true. These days, honesty seems to get you nothing, except a back seat.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
In my view, a better question is........................how many people got ahead in life without cheating and screwing over others.............very few. The really rich people I have know of have screwed people over at work and IRL as well.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:00 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
I know of plenty of people that are honest and got ahead, fact is in their lines of work honesty is seen as a trait that helps them get somewhere.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,267 times
Quote:
Ethics.

IMHO, doing the right thing is infinitely more important than doing the thing right. YMMV.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
You would be hard pressed to find anyone nowadays who have in the past or do currently "fudge" a little bit on either applications, resumes or both.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Quote:
So true. So many people seem to be "out to get" the hardworking people rather than just try to emulate them.

It's the rare person nowadays that seems to get ahead for being a hard worker.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
The only people who think this way are people who want to justify their own immoral behavior. Most successful people get that way without cheating at all.

It is much easier to claim someone else got ahead by cheating than to admit that person simply worked harder and smarter.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
You would be hard pressed to find anyone nowadays who have in the past or do currently "fudge" a little bit on either applications, resumes or both.
Not to mention salary history.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Yes, I lied to get a job and RECEIVED it.

Only lie about things that can't be proven.

Never lie about skills, but you can about experience and places you worked for as long as it can be BACKED UP.

There are ways around everything.

They have names for the suckers who are "honest" = they're called "Longterm Unemployed".

Last edited by marilyn220; 09-23-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment