Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation. I got a degree and almost a year later hadn't found a job yet. I was getting desperate, and ready to literally give up all together. I applied to an internship because they were easier to get. You don't need 1-2 years of experience. The problem was that you "had to be currently enrolled in college" to apply. Well I lied and said that I was still in college just to see if I would get an interview. I got one and thought about turning it down, but I went because I had nothing to lose and not thinking I would actually get an offer (I had at least 7 interviews before with no offer). Well I got the offer, but I had to pass a background check, which includes a degree "currently enrolled" check. I said screw it, I'll probably get caught but its worth a shot. Well I passed because they hired interns through a temp agency and they only checked my completed degree, which was my undergraduate. I also fudged a previous internship employment dates forward a year to match my degree enrollment dates. Well they didn't check back far enough to catch it!

Now the problem is I feel guilty. I'm not a liar. I have to make my linkedin profile private, and lie to people's faces at work that I am still in school. I am living a lie! I just got backed into a corner and got desperate. They also like me so far and I really like the company! I think there is a chance they could give me a full time offer after the intership, but I know that will entail a more through background check through their actual company, that I will probably not pass.

My plan is to just complete the intership and not accept an offer they might give me because then I couldnt use them as references for any future jobs and would have to leave that job off my resume. It would be a disaster and I would be back to square one. What if I just admitted I lied at the end of my internship? Is it forgivable? Would they still hire me? What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I'd just work until I was found out. But in Manila Phillippines you can buy fake college degree papers, but maybe they are all Filipino colleges. I lied at Schlumberger that I didn't have a felony, and I lasted all through my 6 month temp job. But they didn't extend or transfer me to the big money Subsea division.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I applied to an internship because they were easier to get.
Internships aren't jobs and therefore don't count. F 'em!

If they don't value you enough to be paid...
you don't have to value them enough to be truthful.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Internships aren't jobs and therefore don't count. F 'em!

If they don't value you enough to be paid...
you don't have to value them enough to be truthful.
Where does it say I'm not paid? I'm paid well for an intern. Additionally, you didn't even answer my questions.

Last edited by jman07; 06-26-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
My first job 1 year out of college was a $10/hr ISO 9000 Procedure Documentor internship for $10/hr. I started my career and led to other better jobs!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Just like everything else, this can be fixed. Discuss it with your manager.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I would just make the best of it at this point. Finish the internship and then move on.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
My first job 1 year out of college was a $10/hr ISO 9000 Procedure Documentor internship for $10/hr. I started my career and led to other better jobs!
OK. So tell them if I get an offer or turn it down??????

Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM

382 posts, read 664,066 times
You got do what you got to do. This job market is tough and employers are way too over demanding that the only way to get a job for someone who doesn't have any experience is to stretch the truth. In your case stretch it out to way over one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Lying at the end of the internship won't help, if you are gonna lie, stick with the lie.

What is the industry? My guess is they won't do another background check anyways, company I work for now, I went through a temp, that did a pretty basic check. When I got hired on they said they would do another check, but never did. I know because I requested a copy of it, and never got it. Pretty sure that's cuz one wasn't even done. Companies don't want to spend that kind of money.

You could always finish the internship then got a job elsewhere and be honest about your education there.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment