Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times

Advertisements

Most of the advice here is good, with the exception of the holier-than-thou's that want to thump on you.

Bottom line: you feel like crap already for lying. You admit it. So now you just have to UNlie.

That means, since the lie was that you were still taking classes, go find some to take so that you can unlock your LinkedIn and stop living that lie, and then knock their socks off at work so that they won't be able to let you go!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Many years ago I knew someone that got hired at a Fortune 500 company by getting a summer internship for students. The person wasn't in school and knew that it was very likely he would be offerred a full time job after the summer. He was offerred the full time job and took it and worked there a long time. He said this was an 'insider tip' on how to get hired there - as they were not doing any direct hires.

I doubt your direct team gives a carp about whether you are still in school. They probably had corporate rules that only allowed them to hire an intern first, so they could try on before buying.

Go with the flow and don't bring your fib up to anyone at work EVER (not even your best friend that you trust there). Keep it to yourself. If you get hired, they MIGHT have you fill out a new application. On this new application, you tell 100% truth. It is THIS NEW application that would get submitted to the background check company. Also if you fill out a new job application at this company for full time work, you leave off your prior fib.

The way background checks work....they compared your resume and job application against verification records from prior employers and schools. If your new applicatioheckin and new resume are truthful, then your new background check will pass with flying colors.

It is very possible when you hand in new resume and new application, that your manager doesn't even open the file or review it. It likely would go directly to HR, who probably is not going to be checking about your fib...and might not even know or care whether you were going for a masters the past few months.

-----also you should sign up for one or two classes for the next semester or two at college. So you really were a student. This way you can put the real college dates on your new application/new resume. Just make sure you put accurate dates of attendence..this the new background check (IF they do one) will check against your resume/application and verify these dates with the school. Often on background search documents, the attendance dates for college are optional. You can leave them blank. and you should.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Its large company. They manufacture dishes and products to test and grow bacteria.

I was just hoping I could get away with it if I was honest, but its a huge risk.
I work with a large company now too, 5,000+ employees, in the biotech industry, don't say anything.

As for those telling you to come forth and be honest, F that, companies do dishonest things all the time, one litle white lie doesn't define who you are.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,162,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
What has this got to do with the original thread?
You stated that the OP shouldn't lie because "what goes around comes around." The truth, however, is, in our society, if you aren't cheating, then you aren't trying and those who lie get ahead. It's unfortunate, but true.

I was also trying to inject a little humor into the thread.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
You stated that the OP shouldn't lie because "what goes around comes around." The truth, however, is, in our society, if you aren't cheating, then you aren't trying and those who lie get ahead. It's unfortunate, but true.

I was also trying to inject a little humor into the thread.
Let us put down the torches and pitchforks so we can breath and

Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM

217 posts, read 307,706 times
Wow. A lot of people are telling the OP that they lied their way into a job and that it's perfectly justified given how tight the job market is these days. I think the OP should come clean to this company. However, this thread does bring up an interesting phenomenon. There aren't many entry-level jobs today --- this despite the fact that many recent college grads would be willing to work for a low wage to "prove themselves" into a higher position, the kind that are currently the bottom rungs of the ladder and require 2+ yrs experience already.

What's the cause of this? Government regulation? So many college degrees that a degree is essentially worthless?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,359,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Go with the flow and don't bring your fib up to anyone at work EVER (not even your best friend that you trust there). Keep it to yourself. If you get hired, they MIGHT have you fill out a new application. On this new application, you tell 100% truth. It is THIS NEW application that would get submitted to the background check company. Also if you fill out a new job application at this company for full time work, you leave off your prior fib.

The way background checks work....they compared your resume and job application against verification records from prior employers and schools. If your new applicatioheckin and new resume are truthful, then your new background check will pass with flying colors.

It is very possible when you hand in new resume and new application, that your manager doesn't even open the file or review it. It likely would go directly to HR, who probably is not going to be checking about your fib...and might not even know or care whether you were going for a masters the past few months.

-----also you should sign up for one or two classes for the next semester or two at college. So you really were a student. This way you can put the real college dates on your new application/new resume. Just make sure you put accurate dates of attendence..this the new background check (IF they do one) will check against your resume/application and verify these dates with the school. Often on background search documents, the attendance dates for college are optional. You can leave them blank. and you should.
That actually crossed my mind that they might not even look at what I filled out on the background check. One problem though with just signing up for classes is that the background checks list "graduation date" usually. My graduation date has already come and passed, so taking more classes won't change it.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
You wouldn't feel so bad if you knew how many execs, marketing directors, and other upper management lied to get where they're at.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 PM

It would be great to hear from someone who works in HR

Old 06-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You wouldn't feel so bad if you knew how many execs, marketing directors, and other upper management lied to get where they're at.
I'm not sure if I buy that. Background checks find everything these days. Your judged by your performance at work and how much people respect you. I think its way too easy to say "they aren't there because they're better than me, they just cheated and lied to get there." Don't be one of those employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment