Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Lying at the end of the internship won't help, if you are gonna lie, stick with the lie.

What is the industry? My guess is they won't do another background check anyways, company I work for now, I went through a temp, that did a pretty basic check. When I got hired on they said they would do another check, but never did. I know because I requested a copy of it, and never got it. Pretty sure that's cuz one wasn't even done. Companies don't want to spend that kind of money.

You could always finish the internship then got a job elsewhere and be honest about your education there.
Its large company. They manufacture dishes and products to test and grow bacteria.

I was just hoping I could get away with it if I was honest, but its a huge risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,257 times
Could always play fair, resign and tell the truth.

Or do like most would and lie through your teeth. "Oh! I was enrolled but I wasn't sure if I had finished my requirements for the degree. They said they'd mail me my diploma after discussing if I've finished my requirements because there were a few questionable things. Just got it in the mail yesterday. Had no clue, I swear!"

Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I'm not a liar.

Quote:
Here's my situation . . I lied . . .
Having guilt about having lied doesn't negate that fact you lied and that then makes you a liar in that instance.

Quote:
My plan is to just complete the intership and not accept an offer they might give me because then I couldnt use them as references for any future jobs and would have to leave that job off my resume. It would be a disaster and I would be back to square one. What if I just admitted I lied at the end of my internship? Is it forgivable? Would they still hire me? What should I do?
Forgive you? Um, no. Your employer isn't going to forgive you. There's a policy regarding interns. They have to be enrolled in school. That simple.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 PM

195 posts, read 335,903 times
Why not just enroll in an online elective course at the school you graduated from ?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 PM

41 posts, read 53,272 times
Nobody gives a damn about interns unless its a fortune 500 firm or specialized fields like engineering or law. Most of your bosses probably have bigger lies and skeletons in their closets. Focus on doing a great job and make it worth their while with your internship.
By being truthful at this point is like the bank robber going back to return the money - and hoping for applause and a pat on the back.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philboyj View Post
Nobody gives a damn about interns unless its a fortune 500 firm or specialized fields like engineering or law. Most of your bosses probably have bigger lies and skeletons in their closets. Focus on doing a great job and make it worth their while with your internship.
By being truthful at this point is like the bank robber going back to return the money - and hoping for applause and a pat on the back.
^^This.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 PM

131 posts, read 323,518 times
You are making an issue out of nothing.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Here's my situation. I got a degree and almost a year later hadn't found a job yet. I was getting desperate, and ready to literally give up all together. I applied to an internship because they were easier to get. You don't need 1-2 years of experience. The problem was that you "had to be currently enrolled in college" to apply. Well I lied and said that I was still in college just to see if I would get an interview. I got one and thought about turning it down, but I went because I had nothing to lose and not thinking I would actually get an offer (I had at least 7 interviews before with no offer). Well I got the offer, but I had to pass a background check, which includes a degree "currently enrolled" check. I said screw it, I'll probably get caught but its worth a shot. Well I passed because they hired interns through a temp agency and they only checked my completed degree, which was my undergraduate. I also fudged a previous internship employment dates forward a year to match my degree enrollment dates. Well they didn't check back far enough to catch it!

Now the problem is I feel guilty. I'm not a liar. I have to make my linkedin profile private, and lie to people's faces at work that I am still in school. I am living a lie! I just got backed into a corner and got desperate. They also like me so far and I really like the company! I think there is a chance they could give me a full time offer after the intership, but I know that will entail a more through background check through their actual company, that I will probably not pass.

My plan is to just complete the intership and not accept an offer they might give me because then I couldnt use them as references for any future jobs and would have to leave that job off my resume. It would be a disaster and I would be back to square one. What if I just admitted I lied at the end of my internship? Is it forgivable? Would they still hire me? What should I do?
These are desperate times, and you are a good fit for the job, so I would wait and see if they make you a full-time offer. At that point, I would come clean with them, and accept whatever they want to do from there.
You are obviously a good person with a strong conscience. I would tell the truth when an opportunity presents itself. You will feel relieved of this burden you are carrying. If they want you, they will find a way.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 AM

501 posts, read 801,228 times
I don't know what classes you have to take but if they are just looking for you to simply be enrolled in school you could enroll at a community college for some classes as an audit that is one idea for redemption. *shrugs*

Old 06-27-2013, 04:01 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Sign up for something here and if anyone asks, you can say you were taking classes through this:

https://www.coursera.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment