Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM

73 posts, read 154,809 times

Advertisements

I posted this on Quora but the question was mostly ignored with the exception of a blatant spammer. After reading about the guy with the security clearance issues I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Quote:
I've done a number of interviews where the interviewer was concerned that I would be snatched up by another company for a better job. I've often been called "overqualified". In some cases I agree with them, but regardless of that I need a check. I feel that these expectations of my departure are vastly over-exaggerated due to the rampant discrimination of my minority group in my job sector. I've seen lots of non-minority coworkers\former classmates job hop relentlessly however their skills\experience were never used against them. The fact that they switch companies every year has never been used against them despite that it's the most damning evidence of the undesired behavior. From my experience minority candidates stick around longer (mostly because we have to). On one hand I feel like unemployment has made me paranoid, on the other hand I feel like "overqualification" is just a tool for discrimination. Have there been any studies on this sort of thing?
https://www.quora.com/Have-there-bee...-overqualified
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 09:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Please, many people regardless of race, gender, etc, has the overqualified card thrown at them.

The quote seems to be yet another race card thrower, who wants to assign all misfortunes he encounters is due to race.

I know several people right now getting the overqualified thrown at them; most are recent college grads looking for any job at all, and cannot even find a simple retail position. To leave out college in the resume would then cause a problem of showing a large gap in their employment history, and these people are white.

Also, hardly anyone will know if they were not selected due to being overqualified, it is just an assumption, I have never heard of someone stating a prospective employer told them they are overqualified; if they truly were, the employer most likely would never even contact them.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I've never seen overqualified candidates walking in. Only underqualified demanding $20/hr. I'd like to know what constitutes "overqualified". Many people have an overinflated sense of worth that extends into the work world.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Please, many people regardless of race, gender, etc, has the overqualified card thrown at them.

The quote seems to be yet another race card thrower, who wants to assign all misfortunes he encounters is due to race.

I know several people right now getting the overqualified thrown at them; most are recent college grads looking for any job at all, and cannot even find a simple retail position. To leave out college in the resume would then cause a problem of showing a large gap in their employment history, and these people are white.

Also, hardly anyone will know if they were not selected due to being overqualified, it is just an assumption, I have never heard of someone stating a prospective employer told them they are overqualified; if they truly were, the employer most likely would never even contact them.
It seems to be that they are indeed trying to throw the race card. I am tired of everyone who complains about the race card, the sexuality card, ect. because most times that isn't that much of a factor. For instance in my area there are mostly white people. Guess what, if I started a company that was 50+ people (and all are in the area) the only minority I would find are women and perhaps a Hispanic or two. Does that mean I am racist as a business owner, no. (In fact I have dated inter-racially.)

What this is more of an issue of the underemployment. Many people have this view that within 3 months, they will look for something better...

Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
There is not enough information to determine if this is a legitimate issue. As others have said, some people assume that their race is the unspoken reason for not being hired. Truthfully, sometimes, it is. Other times, it's definitely not. Why is that particular minority not job-hopping? What is the specific reason for them staying? Why are the non-minorities job hopping, as opposed to staying?

The question of "paranoia" is always present in the head of a minority. There are times when you are singled out, but you're not sure if it's for a legitimate reason, or you're being racially profiled, especially, when there's not enough evidence either way, or there's equal evidence both ways. I'm not sure that non-minorities understand this feeling.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
There is not enough information to determine if this is a legitimate issue. As others have said, some people assume that their race is the unspoken reason for not being hired. Truthfully, sometimes, it is. Other times, it's definitely not. Why is that particular minority not job-hopping? What is the specific reason for them staying? Why are the non-minorities job hopping, as opposed to staying?

The question of "paranoia" is always present in the head of a minority. There are times when you are singled out, but you're not sure if it's for a legitimate reason, or you're being racially profiled, especially, when there's not enough evidence either way, or there's equal evidence both ways. I'm not sure that non-minorities understand this feeling.
I do to an extent from dating inter-racially (I'm white, my ex is black) and her best friend is Hispanic. It is a lot different than being white and we need to remember that. Good point there.

The issue is a lot of people see racism, sexism, ect. in anything. Take the technical foul kiss from the WNBA. The two women were moments from a shoving match before the one pecked the other and the fouls were given to both women. HELLO, the technical foul was for the mouthing off and not the kiss. It wasn't homophobic or anything. However some people see that in anything.

Is the race, sex, sexuality card warranted sometimes, YES. However when other times it isn't but is used, it hurts what happens when the card should be used because it's the boy who called wolf.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I've never seen overqualified candidates walking in. Only underqualified demanding $20/hr. I'd like to know what constitutes "overqualified". Many people have an overinflated sense of worth that extends into the work world.
Overqualified would be a college grad (and one with experience) trying to get a retail job, or a low end entry level admin assist job. If try to omit the education and/or experience on the application, now the employer will wonder why the gap is there.

Then these college grads will have to hear how they are entitled because they will not take a low wage job instead of being jobless, and how they should be willing to start at the bottom.

Look at Whole Foods for example, i know someone who got out of college and tried to work there as a cashier; though she had cashier experience before, went for an interview, the company was overly concerned about her education in the interview. It was no surprise she did not get the job. Not that there was not someone more qualified, but I doubt Whole Foods wanted to hire a college grad for a cashier position.

I think many employers (I should say hiring officials) forget many of their hires are internal, so just because an overqualified person is coming low does not mean they are going to jump ship, perhaps they are doing what they have been told to do, start low and work your way up.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I think many employers (I should say hiring officials) forget many of their hires are internal, so just because an overqualified person is coming low does not mean they are going to jump ship, perhaps they are doing what they have been told to do, start low and work your way up.
This is the crazy part. We talk about internal hiring and we have to start at the bottom but we don't want to hire people that very well could move up the ranks and would want to if given the chance? And people wonder why there is a hiring disconnect.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
How many of those people have a nearly identical peer group to compare themselves to? For the most part the only thing separating us is race, gender, and nationality. Those are the variables.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It seems to be that they are indeed trying to throw the race card. I am tired of everyone who complains about the race card, the sexuality card, ect. because most times that isn't that much of a factor. For instance in my area there are mostly white people. Guess what, if I started a company that was 50+ people (and all are in the area) the only minority I would find are women and perhaps a Hispanic or two. Does that mean I am racist as a business owner, no. (In fact I have dated inter-racially.)

What this is more of an issue of the underemployment. Many people have this view that within 3 months, they will look for something better...
I haven't been applying to small companies in lily white towns. My field is one that services a major industry and most of us are sprinkled across a few major diverse cities. These companies do hire minorities... as secretaries and recruiters. That's about it from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment