Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:26 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,018,117 times

Advertisements

I have a gal on my staff that is totally unhappy. I think it's because she has MAJOR issues in her personal life. All of which I can understand.

She complains not about her personal life but about EVERYTHING related to the agency we work for (we're FED employees) to you name it. All work related. She has threatened to quit several times but my boss keeps begging her to stay. I have no idea why he begs her, anyone can do her job. Her job is very simple. If you have at least basic reading skills( 6th grade education level reading) you can do her job.

I mean, this gal is UN-HAPP-E.

I wish she should would just leave as she keeps threatening. She brings the whole staff down. Everyone avoids her because we all know, as soon as she opens her mouth, she'll have something NEGATIVE to say about ANYTHING job related.

She's the only one on the staff like this.

I will say, I understand employees being unhappy, I've been in middle and Sr. level management for almost 15 years. I'm okay with unhappy employees complaining here and there. But not everyday and all of the time.

I know situations are not always perfect at work but sometimes you really have to say "thanks for what I do have". Also, I take issue with people that complain but do absolutely nothing to change their situation. This gal was working there before me. I've been there a year and she's been there 3 years. I hear she's been like this since she started.

She still talks about her old job of 4 years ago and how "they(FEDEX) did her wrong".

Anyone ever work with someone like this? How did you deal with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 03:16 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,946 times
LoL,

Is she overpaid, gets amazing benefits, and does little to no actual work like most federal employees?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,018,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
LoL,

Is she overpaid, gets amazing benefits, and does little to no actual work like most federal employees?
She does work and she gets a more than fair wage.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:11 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,631 times
It's a peer, right?

Tell them in no uncertain terms how unprofessional, ridiculous and downright boring you find their behavior. The next time she starts in on her spiel. Let her have it.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Two thoughts:
1. Nobody likes a Debbie Downer.
2. 80% of people don't care about your problems. About 18% are happy it isn't happening to them.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,898 times
Ug that's annoying, anyway you could say "can you please stop complaining?"

Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 PM

37 posts, read 50,961 times
If she is so unhappy, I'll GLADLY take her job! Come to work EVERYDAY with a big old Kool-Aid Smile on my face!!!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Anyone ever work with someone like this? How did you deal with them?
I clicked on the thread thinking it might be about someone I know.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,831,280 times
Are you her boss or is this a co worker? Sorry I am confused but regardless could you say how she seems to be negative and it brings the other employees down? That you don't feel it is appropriate to talk about the job in that manner. Is there someone you can talk to at a higher level if you are not the boss?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Two thoughts:
1. Nobody likes a Debbie Downer.
2. 80% of people don't care about your problems. About 18% are happy it isn't happening to them.
Maybe that's the problem...if some empathy would return to humanity, maybe people would be a little happier...maybe she loved her previous job better...how would you know? have you bothered to talk to her at all? take her out for lunch and nicely address the "complaining"? People are not born "Debbie Downer's", it is usually "something" that makes people unhappy!

OP: Rather than you come here and COMPLAIN about your "complaining" co-worker, how about take this "complainer" out for lunch, and you two can complain together for a while. Would that be so hard? That's what I would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment