Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:59 PM

495 posts, read 684,515 times

Advertisements

I had a run in with a co-worker who kept giving me snide sarcastic unsolicited advice and thinly veiled insults. This man had no intention of helping me he just wanted to bully someone. So I had enough and told him he was not my supervisor and to worry about his own work. After that the conversation went south. He called me an moron and I called him a fat a**. Then I left and he followed me and called me a retard and I called him a name.Then he left. At the end of the day he was at the time clock and I did not say a word to him but he stared talking. I said He was the one that stared this and he left and said bye as he punched out.

The next morning I was resolved to not say anything to him but he started in on me right away but I kept my mouth shut.He continued to say stuff the rest of the morning. So I had it and told the supervisor the whole thing. I was honest when I said I called him some names too but I told them he would not let the situation go and he continued to bully me. They said they would take care of it and talk to him.At the end of the day after he got talked to we where both throwing away cardboard boxes on a conveyor to be crushed.The conveyor stopped and I was about to put my last small box on it when he yells" don't put that box on the conveyor". I was at the conveyor already and just let the box go. He was just trying to control me because the box was small and the conveyor had plenty of room on it. Well because I did not do what he commanded of me and because he was mad about being talked to, he took the box off and kicked it at me. It hit me in the leg. I flagged down a supervisor right away and told her what he just did. As I was punching out I learned they took him to the office so I wiil have to wait until the next day to see what will happen. My question is, is the box kicking workplace violence? The supervisor told me he should not have kicked a box at me. What do you think they will do. He was already warned to stop but he stilled kicked a box at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:03 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times
I wouldn't push it and I definitely wouldn't get HR involved. HR is only interested in solving their problem, not your problem and even if you're right, often HR's way of solving their problem is to get rid of their problem which is you.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM

So people are just supposed to accept co-workers kicking and throwing things at them?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Then how do you suggest to stop a work place bully. If I ignore him he just keeps doing it. If I handle it myself and punch him in the mouth I go to jail and get fired. The only thing left is to go to the supervisor.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I wouldn't push it and I definitely wouldn't get HR involved. HR is only interested in solving their problem, not your problem and even if you're right, often HR's way of solving their problem is to get rid of their problem which is you.
Terrible advice. Assuming all posted is accurate, the OP isn't the problem, the other guy is. Yes that is workplace violence. If he worked for me and the behavior was verifiable or admitted to the box kicker would be terminated. I once worked at a major company where the CFO was fired because she pushed an admin assistant out of her way.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 PM

390 posts, read 940,915 times
It can be considered assault actually

Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
He called me an moron and I called him a fat a**. Then I left and he followed me and called me a retard and I called him a name.
How old are you?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:17 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
You absolutely have to get HR involved. This is a classic hostile working environment. If you don't take this to HR, your coworker will, but what HR hears may not be the truth.

If I could prove that an employee threw something at another person I would definitely fire them. No question about it.

In this case your coworker will deny it, and it will be his word against yours. He will undoubtedly lie about what happened, maybe even accusing you of the box kicking.

There should be an investigation, documentation of the event, followup, and eventual termination if this continues. If he is doing this to you, it's likely he has done it to others.

Now, you have responsibilities too. As this plays out, never, ever lose your temper. Do not swear, yell, or call names. Be perfect in your behaviour, even as this other guy instigates. This is your best protection against HR drawing the wrong conclusion.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM

In my 30s.Yes I admit this was a childish thing to say but this was after the conversation had devolved.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I would be very alarmed if it occurred in my presence and would contact HR and management.
Even the simulation of violence has no place at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment