Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:26 AM

517 posts, read 1,707,114 times

Advertisements

I came over to the USA about a year ago. I used to be a meter reader in the UK, but smart meters were making the job obselete. It's a shame because I loved that job. During my time in the USA I've been working as a courier for a small company, because it was easy to get into and I like the outdoors. However the money is very bad and I want to do better than this. I'm in my early forties. I don't have a degree.

I'm trying to think what I could retrain to do?

I like anything outdoors and involving travelling to and from sites. A little customer contact is nice, but I'm no salesman and a bit introverted. Ideas I had were a truck driver, or courier for a large decent company etc But truckers never see their family and the good courier companies demand more experience than I have.

Or maybe something more skilled like a locksmith. But I don't know how to go about training for such a thing, and would my age be a barrier? I can imagine companies taking on young people and training them gradually.

A job with benefits would obviously be better than 1099. Are there possible careers I haven't thought of?

Any ideas are welcome because I'm not coming up with many
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,550,192 times
You like outdoors? Look for jobs at any type of outdoor business or company. Municipal parks and recreation departments. Private parks. Botanical gardens and arboretums. The Federal Park service, tour companies, park rangers, etc.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:38 AM

45,574 posts, read 60,866,670 times
Since you're British, a Lion Tamer?

Monty Python - Lion Tamer - YouTube

Many community colleges have locksmith training. The problem is that, really, there's not a real big job market for them in most places.

How big a jump is it from meter reader to meter repair?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Many community colleges have locksmith training. The problem is that, really, there's not a real big job market for them in most places.

How big a jump is it from meter reader to meter repair?
That's my concern about training for a specific field and then discovering there aren't many jobs within it. A college will happily take money for a course, but I'm looking for a job not a debt.

The jump to meter repair from meter reading is a huge one. Meter reading is unskilled work, and only paid well because it was unpleasant to most people (meters can be difficult to access).

Old 11-10-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You like outdoors? Look for jobs at any type of outdoor business or company. Municipal parks and recreation departments. Private parks. Botanical gardens and arboretums. The Federal Park service, tour companies, park rangers, etc.
You gave some good tips here, thanks. I have noticed guys out & about in parks doing various tasks. It's possible I could do that stuff.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 PM

431 posts, read 1,223,322 times
Anything outdoors...

Start your own landscaping business ?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 PM

30,375 posts, read 23,843,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
You gave some good tips here, thanks. I have noticed guys out & about in parks doing various tasks. It's possible I could do that stuff.
Those jobs may be very hard to come by. How is it that you are here with no discernible skills? Marriage? If so, what do they do? Is there enough income to at least take some classes....gee, I just realized I don't know how that works for people from the UK.

Well, in any case, if it's possible, take some classes, even at a community college, you still get an education, it's a start, do two years, get an AA, then go on to get a Bachelor's in a university. OR, learn a trade.

You like being outdoors....despite what some people think, plumbers spend a lot of time outdoors...in crawlspaces, digging up pipes, that kind of thing. Welding? Starting off kind of ok money but you can move up and make good money.

What do you LIKE to do. Hobby wise? Is there some way to make a job out of a hobby? Maybe you like building things, then go work on a construction site. You can go to any ManPower office, they'll have day jobs, and if you work hard, you never know, the team might like you and offer you full time work. Depends on where you live since winter is coming up, unless you're in the south.

Don't they still have meter readers here in the states? Isn't there some show on t.v. about them? Parking Wars? Is that what it's called? There's meters everywhere here. Why not try for what you enjoyed doing? Just, we may not be as friendly about a ticket as they were in the UK.......

Old 11-10-2013, 11:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,496,015 times
Is there a reason that you're not considering driving for UPS or FedEx in your area? You may have to start out in their warehouse but, with your experience as a courier driver, you might have an edge on other applicants.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 AM

80 posts, read 218,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Is there a reason that you're not considering driving for UPS or FedEx in your area? You may have to start out in their warehouse but, with your experience as a courier driver, you might have an edge on other applicants.
I was going to suggest this too... definitely look into this. Also, certain food/beverage companies have "merchandise" jobs... basically you go around to various stores and set up displays, among other things. I would also look into Community College options. There are usually certificate programs for certain vocations and tuition isn't exorbitant .

Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 PM

615 posts, read 1,384,599 times
FedEx hires owner / operators. You can deliver for them if you can pass their background checks and have you own truck for deliveries.

To be honest, it is very hard to retrain a 40 year old. You usually can't teach a old dog new tricks.

You can also be "A man whose job is to deliver packages without asking any questions" The Transporter (2002) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment