Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
There are SO MANY TRICKS and things you have to implement for theft.
So very true and for every scam you find there are more right behind it. I managed a supermarket for a year and caught a few cashiers out. Then I ran my own business (restaurant/bar) for 16 years and there was always someone once in a while who'd mistakenly think I was blind to all the tricks. Silly people.

I've helped out the owners of one of my local supermarkets on several occasions when I've seen check-out cashiers doing the dirty and have never hesitated to pick up the 'phone and let them know which cashier to look out for. In the long run it might just save me some grocery money if they don't have to keep raising prices to cover the shortages!

Even with the best systems and checks it's a given that you'll miss a few here and there but it irks me no end to see some high volume places which have minimal or no checks in place. Then they wonder why they're losing money instead of making it. Doh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times
Being exactly $100 short is very suspicious. It sounds to me that someone slipped $100 in their pocket --- either the other person handling the register or whoever counted the drawer.

I wouldn't pay it back. I would question it and request to see the video of the area where they count out the drawers while they were counting your drawer so you can see if someone helped themselves to $100 at your expense. (those areas usually have videocameras)

Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
This is suspect, wasn't there a poster not so long ago that was constantly having these problems?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
This is suspect, wasn't there a poster not so long ago that was constantly having these problems?
Nothing suspect. That poster was from Canada and is still posting.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Exclamation de-ditz...

[quote=Senkar;32190449]I work at a chain restaurant in Hawaii, that requires customers to cash out at a register. I was put on the register yesterday (a Sunday) in the morning which is REALLY busy (were a breakfast place).
Anyways there is only one register, and I was not the only one working it.
-
So I was called yesterday by phone about 3 hours after my shift, saying that me and the other person would have to do something about it to avoid being written up. I didn't feel like arguing because everyone at my work thinks I'm very ditzy, and they don't seem to like me as much as the local employees (I'm polynesian but part white from California). So I just said 'ok' when they asked if they could deduct $50 from my paycheck.

Thing is, I ALWAYS count change back to the customers. I am professional and always try my best to make sure the customer is fine. But this place has a reputation for being unprofessional. This is my THIRD job working a register (I'm only 18) and I have never come up short. This is the other cashiers first job (he's 20 something!) and he always asks me for help with math (about the discounts, how much to take off etc).
He's worked here 3 months longer than me AND he's local so I just know they will take his side.

I am beyond frustrated that I lost one day of pay (even more. We only get 7.50 an hour as hosts)
Even if I did come up short a bit, it wouldn't be 100$! Maybe 10 at the most!
I'm thinking about quitting because I always seem to get in trouble here.
Yes I can appear slow to my coworkers but it's because I'm new and I want things to be done CORRECTLY. I'm one of those better safe than sorry kinda people. I prefer to take my time to make something of quality rather than make something of decent, okay or **** quality at a fast pace.
But no, according to someone at the workplace a bunch of people said I should just dye my hair blonde already

(???)
Hawaii is so unprofessional at some places it's ridiculous.. People gossip too much at this job I'm wondering is it even worth it

Honey, you need to wake up and smell the Locals! This is a typical ploy that is not as rare as you would like to imagine. Haoles get set-up on a daily basis...been there...done that! I bet you 10-1 that this will
not be the last time it happens to you, and I guarantee it's not the first time it's happened. And...it is probably management that shorted the till. Be cautious and when you cash out from now on have a witness, your manager, standing right next to you and have them sign-off. And next time they 'ask' if they can deduct anything from your paycheck you tell them 'absolutely not until you prove it was me'.
Sorry, honey, but Paradise ain't all it's cracked up to be. Hawaii is nothing more than a third world country.
Koale

Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
I can see holding an employee responsible for missing money if they were the only one who could access the drawer all day, like via a log in code, like they do at banks and some large department stores. For example, when I used to work at Barnes & Noble, we had a bank of 10 registers, so each employee working register had their own register, and if the till was off, we could look and see if anyone else logged into that register for that shift and opened the drawer. If not, and it was off, I could see an argument being made to charge the employee.

But the only time we ever had anyone be substantially off, the safe ended up being off the same amount at the end of the day. The error had been made when bringing the cashier change during the day, or else when removing cash to the safe for security reasons, so the safe was over the same amount the drawer was short. We never had an employee we suspected of stealing from us in the 7 years I worked there.

My point is that usually these sorts of problems end up being figured out. The money slipped under the register, or is in the safe, or there was an error on a ticket, and the total sold for the day should have been $100 less, etc. Only rarely does it turn out to actually be missing money. Even if there was, if multiple people were sharing the till, then that is the risk the restaurant takes, and they should not have charged the employee. They should track it over time, and if one employee has a habitually short till, either by themselves, or shared with multiple other people, you fire that person.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:13 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,019 times
Id check with the state and see if that is even legal. in some jurisdictions you can't be charged for that sort of thing.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 PM

411 posts, read 901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
YES!

After I would close my store at 9:00 PM, (a business I owned) I'd go to a neighborhood chain for "dinner". This was a VERY VERY busy store like a 7-11.

I noticed a cashier acting very suspicious - making extensive eye contact and keeping the customers chatting and not giving receipts. I couldn't quite see behind the counter. But I finally saw he wasn't ringing up or under-ringing. Like $.79 instead of $7.90. That would allow him to pop open the drawer and make change. (another trick I was familiar with in my store).

Most of these thiefs have a gift for counting money and moving it fast. Like flim flam.

So I told the manager who I knew to keep an eye out. And he asked me to be his secret shopper. LOL

They caught the guy not making drops into his box on time and not ringing up when they found a CARDBOARD BOX under the register when security came in one night to do an audit without announcing it. And it was early in the shift.

There was 800.00 in that BOX!!!! And nothing in the drop box.

I had to fire alot of people in my retail store for that. There are SO MANY TRICKS and things you have to implement for theft.

They even used to take my merchandise out to the dumpster and drive around in the middle of the night to pick it UP!!! This was including LIVE STOCK (pet store) I would find little lizards and rabbits and stuff sitting in the dumpster at 1 AM !!!!
I had a very hard time following this post. I think I understand now. You saw a guy in a store, that wasn't your store, stealing. You alerted his manager. The people you fired were in YOUR store but committing the same offense as the guy in 7-11. Thats's what you are saying right?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Nothing suspect. That poster was from Canada and is still posting.
Ha, so he/she couldn't make an alt?

Anyone who is short $100 should get fired, IMO.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 52,289 times
Thank you for all of your responses. Looks like it's a lot more common than I thought.
I have yet to go in and talk to them, but I will be telling them that I will not allow them to deduct anything from my paycheck.

I will be searching for another job but it's very hard at my age :/ oh well. Wish me luck.

And no, I'm not that poster from Canada. Don't see why someone would make another account to make a new thread.. o_O

Once again thanks guys, ill update everyone on Thursday! Wish me luck. I'm definitely not the type to confront so this might be tricky. If you guys have any advice as to what I should say, it would be very very greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment