Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:30 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,139,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I've heard many many stories like that. It seems like ability used to get you much further. That kind of thing just doesn't happen anymore.
Oh it still does happen just very rarely. These days you just have to "prove" your "intelligence" by going to an top college. The elitism in America is pretty bad these days and it is pretty awful that to get into certain positions in management you also have to work for certain companies to even have a shot at those positions. I know that Disney's old Strategic Planning Group used to only look at people who went to Harvard and didn't even bother or consider interviewing anyone else. That group was thankfully disbanded after Iger took over since it had a reputation for killing good ideas and stifling innovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,281,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not everyone; or at least not to the degree it's accepted as a norm.

There was... but is college the place to learn filing, typing, order form filling or salesmanship?
You sure don't need college to learn how to do any mechanical trade or even to rise to master level.
Reading and Math? Certainly and with some alacrity too.
No, it is not. I agree with you. Not only did our high school have manual training but there were trade schools all around for those who were out of high school but wanting more training. Universities were not trade schools.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,821,043 times
Everything was better in the 60's it didn't matter if you had a degree or not. This country is the worst it has ever been for actual employment and working. The country is in a huge downward spiral.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,218,905 times
[quote=rishi85;32196545]My landlord in Canada(in his 70s now) often told me about studying hard and in between those long lectures he'd say how back in his day people could just graduate high school and earn a living. Is this true? By that logic in the 80s a bachelors would have been enough to get a great job. But how is it even possible?
Let alone engineering or medicine related gigs, even something like being a curator would need something more than a high schoool diploma, or a teacher would require some more experience.

Was he just trying to scare me because it doesn't make any sense. I can understand the rise in competition and all that, but still.[/QUOTE
Your landlord is absolutely right. There were plenty of jobs that required no college degree back then. We had a lot of manufacturing jobs and steel mill jobs with great pay and UNION BENEFITS.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:34 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,767,964 times
It is funny how many talk about factory jobs paying a living wage and now they are gone so there is no jobs, yet there are plenty of jobs in the oil fields of Pennsylvania, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, North Dakota, Montana, Colorado, and Utah that are paying to fly people in from all over the country, and paying for them to have a place to live and food to eat while they work their 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off schedule. Those jobs also pay nearly 6 figures even for someone with no experience, and most of them could care less if you graduated high school.

The difference is these jobs are not in the cities, they are in the elements, and require hard labor, much like our parents/grandparents actually had to do to get started.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,281,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
It is funny how many talk about factory jobs paying a living wage and now they are gone so there is no jobs, yet there are plenty of jobs in the oil fields of Pennsylvania, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, North Dakota, Montana, Colorado, and Utah that are paying to fly people in from all over the country, and paying for them to have a place to live and food to eat while they work their 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off schedule. Those jobs also pay nearly 6 figures even for someone with no experience, and most of them could care less if you graduated high school.

The difference is these jobs are not in the cities, they are in the elements, and require hard labor, much like our parents/grandparents actually had to do to get started.

You hit the nail on the head in that last line and isn't it sad? They'd rather collect welfare. Welfare has ruined us. We've lost our pride.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 AM

34,216 posts, read 83,407,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Everything was better in the 60's it didn't matter if you had a degree or not.
This country is the worst it has ever been for actual employment and working.
The country is in a huge downward spiral.
It's become something of a theme in my posts...
but I'll say it again: Our problems are all rooted in having too many people.

Unemployment is far less about not having enough jobs for all that might want one (even when
actually qualified)... the problem is too many people available than jobs that actually need doing.
As a consequence wages are devalued and absurd hiring standards come into place.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,218,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
As a consequence wages are devalued and absurd hiring standards come into place.
Anyone doubting that??Go on line and apply for a seasonal cashier job at a major chain like KMART.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:02 AM

97 posts, read 146,266 times
The old timers I have talked to would say yes. There was much less competition for jobs so companies had to train.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 AM

34,216 posts, read 83,407,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking for change-123 View Post
The old timers I have talked to would say yes.
There was much less competition for jobs so companies had to train.
Not just had to... WANTED to.
Beyond accepting that basic responsibility for new hires they wanted them to succeed generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment