Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM

88 posts, read 205,757 times

Advertisements

I have a BS in Biology from a good school. I did a senior thesis in evo. genetics and graduated with honors. During school I did work study in a laboratory and since graduating (in 2011) had a competitive internship in microbiology. I have a good work ethic, have never had any work conflicts, and am on good terms with all former supervisors.

It's taken 5 months to get a lab technician job in my area of Massachusetts, and the pay is low and the hours are part-time. The trouble with it, is that I know how lucky I am to have this job! Even at crappy pay and part-time hours, finding a good job with a BS in Biology is tough.... I applied to countless jobs (across the country) for months before I found this one. I love my job now, but its not a position I can make a living off of. I can legally work in Canada too, but prospects there aren't much better.

Instead of investing further into my education in science, I think I should just switch career paths. If I were passionate about microbiology/biotechnology or the health care fields, I would get a graduate degree. But I am not, and I want a job with opportunity for growth and the ability to make a solid salary after a few years of experience more than I love science.

Has anyone made the change from a science field to another? Any suggestions for new jobs to consider to make the transition more natural?

I know this is broad, but I am totally lost and appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
Have you ever considered applying for a forensic scientist position at a state or regional crime lab?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,681,184 times
Almost everyone I know who majored in Biology got a premed and eventually went on to med school. Did you choose this major thinking there was a huge job market for Biology undergraduate degrees?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM

156 posts, read 313,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you ever considered applying for a forensic scientist position at a state or regional crime lab?
My dad did this. Training was long but the job pays quite well.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,121,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebePaddy View Post
I have a BS in Biology from a good school. I did a senior thesis in evo. genetics and graduated with honors. During school I did work study in a laboratory and since graduating (in 2011) had a competitive internship in microbiology. I have a good work ethic, have never had any work conflicts, and am on good terms with all former supervisors.

It's taken 5 months to get a lab technician job in my area of Massachusetts, and the pay is low and the hours are part-time. The trouble with it, is that I know how lucky I am to have this job! Even at crappy pay and part-time hours, finding a good job with a BS in Biology is tough.... I applied to countless jobs (across the country) for months before I found this one. I love my job now, but its not a position I can make a living off of. I can legally work in Canada too, but prospects there aren't much better.

Instead of investing further into my education in science, I think I should just switch career paths. If I were passionate about microbiology/biotechnology or the health care fields, I would get a graduate degree. But I am not, and I want a job with opportunity for growth and the ability to make a solid salary after a few years of experience more than I love science.

Has anyone made the change from a science field to another? Any suggestions for new jobs to consider to make the transition more natural?

I know this is broad, but I am totally lost and appreciate any advice!
Schoolteacher?

Biomedical engineer?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM

I am one of the few people who went in biology, not even considering med school. Working in a lab in a hospital does not appeal to me. I did a live-in internship during high school in a medical school where i determined that. My dream job is to be a conservation geneticist, I love nature and wildlife and have the lab background in molecular work/bioinformatics that differentiates me from simple environment science or ecology. But there are so few jobs in that field. If I could do my bachelors over again it would be in environmental engineering, something more in computer science line, or business. My school was in Canada and we didn't take "gen eds", nearly all my classes were biology-based science. So I don't have a lot of experience doing anything else. Even my jobs outside the lab have been primarily with animals. But unlike most aspiring scientist or animal lovers, I am driven by money. Having a job with opportunities for growth, security, and eventually a good salary are most important to me right now.

Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming! I'll look into forensic science tonight

Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,121,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebePaddy View Post
I am one of the few people who went in biology, not even considering med school. Working in a lab in a hospital does not appeal to me. I did a live-in internship during high school in a medical school where i determined that. My dream job is to be a conservation geneticist, I love nature and wildlife and have the lab background in molecular work/bioinformatics that differentiates me from simple environment science or ecology. But there are so few jobs in that field. If I could do my bachelors over again it would be in environmental engineering, something more in computer science line, or business. My school was in Canada and we didn't take "gen eds", nearly all my classes were biology-based science. So I don't have a lot of experience doing anything else. Even my jobs outside the lab have been primarily with animals. But unlike most aspiring scientist or animal lovers, I am driven by money. Having a job with opportunities for growth, security, and eventually a good salary are most important to me right now.

Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming! I'll look into forensic science tonight
I'm an environmental engineer. There's a possibilty to make decent $ if you climb to managerial positions (max 125K or so) but most people don't make too much. Somewhat stable.

I mean if you are really driven by $, then healthcare is by far your best path.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
Assuming you are already leaning toward additional college level academic pursuits it might be wise to pursue something like -- UMass Medical School - Worcester -- bionformatics is heavy on the kinds of knowledge you already have but far more important to the "tech intensive" parts of both industry and academia that are pushing the edges of innovative use of biological info. If you earn a MS or PhD you will be working on interesting stuff for a LOOOONG time...

If you want a more abrupt shift into an area that is more like the intersection of health care & management information systems I can also recommend this to someone in your situation: Boston University Online Certificate Programs Information: Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics That too should ensure easy eployment with the explosion in regulations that are demanded by Obama Care....

Old 01-09-2013, 03:41 PM

134 posts, read 276,444 times
Forensics or Criminalist. They look for those with a Bio degree. Nice job if you can get it.

I'm actually trying to get into a Science field.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Chet ... thank you for the links. Funny though, the summer program that I did in high school was at UMass Medical School. After that I never really envisioned myself working in healthcare, but maybe it is something I should consider. If thats where the jobs are, thats where I should be. If going back to school to a PA wouldn't require me to take on such significant student loans I might consider it. I may have missed the boat on that one anyway, but not directly working in a hospital now or taking A&P in school.

Jezyk - Why and what field are you coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment