Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 03:45 PM

769 posts, read 980,030 times

Advertisements

I don't tweet..never have and never will.

I have facebook but it has pictures of my horse, dog, quotes, meme's, and pictures of my friend's babies.

I don't post pictures of me partying, political affliation or me doing stupid suff. SO glad facebook was not around in my 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 03:55 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,858,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post

I don't post pictures of me partying, political affliation or me doing stupid suff. SO glad facebook was not around in my 20's.
Amen!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,509,848 times
I also never tweet and seldom ever go on face-book. It is just too dangerous to publish something traceable to you that you can never take back. It is no different than girls posting naked photos.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:09 PM

38,931 posts, read 24,035,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Don't tweet. Problem solved.

I can understand expecting Linkedin, but twitter or facebook? There are actually a lot of people getting rid of their accounts for a number of reasons. If it isn't something required for the job itself (i.e if you work at a local news station and they want you to have a work facebook) they can't require you to have it.
If you are you are responsible about how you use social media, I don't see it as a bad thing. IE, doing it during actual breaks at work and not bad mouthing your job or showing in momentary lapses of judgment. Simple rules, don't take photos or videos while drunk our high and do not drunk update.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:48 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,978,288 times
WorkSHY?

LOL OMG the euphemisms.

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would publish personally identifiable information unless they are self employed and willing to take the chance of alienating customers.

People LOOK FOR things to complain about and hold against people. People also make assumptions about things. People also post crap to YOUR page that is incorrect!

I shut down my biz Facebook because a client posted that I didn't attend some party for someone in the building and how upset that person must have been after all he did for me. I WAS THERE. She just didn't SEE ME. I even gave the guy a $100.00 going away gift and met his parents. Plus it was during MY BUSINESS hours and I had no obligation to go and lose money but I did.

I shut that page down the NEXT DAY.

I told an employee once in my retail store "No humor, no jokes you never know who you're joking with".

Later he told me he said "Nice pants" to a customer who was wearing the identical pants as him and he showed him. But the guy got mad.

You do not need social media FOR work but it sure can get you in trouble about/looking for/or IN work. Even if you don't know it because everyone is just busy talking behind your back.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,067,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
WorkSHY?

LOL OMG the euphemisms.

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would publish personally identifiable information unless they are self employed and willing to take the chance of alienating customers.

People LOOK FOR things to complain about and hold against people. People also make assumptions about things. People also post crap to YOUR page that is incorrect!

I shut down my biz Facebook because a client posted that I didn't attend some party for someone in the building and how upset that person must have been after all he did for me. I WAS THERE. She just didn't SEE ME. I even gave the guy a $100.00 going away gift and met his parents. Plus it was during MY BUSINESS hours and I had no obligation to go and lose money but I did.

I shut that page down the NEXT DAY.

Very, very smart move Runswithscissors.

For a small business, if the wrong person says something that isn't true, it can be a nightmare. There are just miserable people in the world.

Yelp can be an awful place for businesses too. It's really crazy out here today.

Quote:
You do not need social media FOR work but it sure can get you in trouble about/looking for/or IN work. Even if you don't know it because everyone is just busy talking behind your back.
Even if YOUR facebook page is boring, the companies check to see what pages you "liked" and who your friends are. A guy lost his job because of a facebook page he "liked". It was probably something stupid that he never paid attention to, but it's too late now. The company said they the info for 7 years.

And as usual our government does NOTHING to remedy these invasive tactics.

At least you have your own business, so your good.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,978,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Even if YOUR facebook page is boring, the companies check to see what pages you "liked" and who your friends are. A guy lost his job because of a facebook page he "liked". It was probably something stupid that he never paid attention to, but it's too late now. The company said they the info for 7 years.

At least you have your own business, so your good.
Exactly! And nobody is even going to CARE that you had to "like" that stupid page to read an article on the web, for example.

NO the government is not going to remedy it. GOOGLE is working WITH the government.

Another pet peeve of mine. YOU HAVE TO have a GOOGLE "account" to protect your rankings, IMO. Self defense. And in exchange for that they are all in your business, stalking you, linking crap that should not be linked, creating stupid Google Plus accounts you don't want...the list is endless.

Our privacy is GONE. People should NOT look for trouble and jeopardize their jobs by having personally identifiable info on social media.

You can easily create fake accounts and tell your family if you just cannot SURVIVE without posting pictures of that cake you baked yesterday LOL. But I still would not post any pictures of anyone's FACES either.

Life in 2013, living like a spy or CIA agent hahaha.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,586,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Wait. What do you want the government to do? Tell businesses that they can't access free PUBLIC information that people VOLUNTARILY put out in PUBLIC?

I think it would be more invasive if the government got involved in stuff like this. If you don't want employers in your personal business, don't put it online.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,203,884 times
I still don't understand why people are too lazy to figure out how to make their accounts private so that only those people they wish to read them, can. I even have separate groups on Facebook so that posts that might bore my non-professional friends don't get broadcast to them, and vice-versa, etc. There is absolutely no reason for an employer or prospective employer to be able to see your Facebook or Twitter accounts if you don't want them to.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 PM

38,931 posts, read 24,035,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I still don't understand why people are too lazy to figure out how to make their accounts private so that only those people they wish to read them, can. I even have separate groups on Facebook so that posts that might bore my non-professional friends don't get broadcast to them, and vice-versa, etc. There is absolutely no reason for an employer or prospective employer to be able to see your Facebook or Twitter accounts if you don't want them to.
Making accounts private it's a moot point when it comes to dictate companies have to manage social media. No matter if my Facebook is open or private, companies can crack through and see what I've posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment