Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM

194 posts, read 635,533 times

Advertisements

As of this point, I am single-handedly bringing in quite a bit more in grant proposals and fundraising to my non-profit organization than my yearly salary. This isn't my only job - I do a lot of different things and raising this money is only one small part. This amount also does not include the general donations and funding that our program receives regardless of whether I solicited or not. It also does not include any money raised by group efforts taken part in by more than one person of our team. This is just money that I went out of my way to research/raise/receive on my own.

Does this mean:

A.) I deserve a raise

B.) I'm doing an excellent job and my position with the nonprofit should certainly be cemented because of the cost-to-production ratio

or

C.) I shouldn't get too excited because most nonprofit employees are supposed to be bringing in massive amounts of money that should easily outgross their salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
C.

What would be the point of paying someone who cost you more than they produced?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
D. Most non-profit employees are not expected to raise "massive amounts" of money; most non-profit employees don't have anything to do with fund raising at all. A bonus or a better raise than everyone else would be nice way to recognize what you have done. While you may be a great employee, everyone can be replaced.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I am single-handedly bringing in quite a bit more ...than my yearly salary.
Good for you. Want a gold star on your forehead?

Quote:
This isn't my only job - I do a lot of different things
and raising this money is only one small part.
But it's the part that actually matters... right?

Quote:
Does this mean: A.) I deserve a raise...? No. C.) I shouldn't get too excited...? Yes
In the real world the minimum ratio of Sales:Salary is 3:1

Old 11-18-2013, 12:56 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In the real world the minimum ratio of Sales:Salary is 3:1
Right - I was going to say 2.5 - 3 but we're on the same page.

There are a ton of other costs that the employer pays for each employee over and above your gross salary. You pay Fed OASD/EE, so does the employer, you pay Fed MED/EE, so does your employer.
Then there are benefits such as medical and 401k which your company pays too.
Then there are normal overheads such as office rent, stationary expenses, administrator expenses (secretaries, accountants etc etc) that the company has to cover.

The total cost varies by employer but the 2.5 - 3 range is a pretty good indicator.

So in short, no you shouldn't expect anything, sorry.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canceltriplea View Post
. You made me bust out laughing!
Don dis "gold star" at some point but I couldn't find it.

You Win a Cookie - YouTube

Old 11-18-2013, 02:56 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
As of this point, I am single-handedly bringing in quite a bit more in grant proposals and fundraising to my non-profit organization than my yearly salary. This isn't my only job - I do a lot of different things and raising this money is only one small part. This amount also does not include the general donations and funding that our program receives regardless of whether I solicited or not. It also does not include any money raised by group efforts taken part in by more than one person of our team. This is just money that I went out of my way to research/raise/receive on my own.

Does this mean:

A.) I deserve a raise

B.) I'm doing an excellent job and my position with the nonprofit should certainly be cemented because of the cost-to-production ratio

or

C.) I shouldn't get too excited because most nonprofit employees are supposed to be bringing in massive amounts of money that should easily outgross their salary.
C, mostly. Unless you are bringing in 3, 4 times your salary or a lot more, then I really don't think you're going a great job. Who would want to give money to a nonprofit if half of it went to the salary of the fundraiser? Valuable fundraisers bring in hundreds of thousands, even millions. Are you that good? If so, then maybe you do deserve a raise.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
C, mostly. Unless you are bringing in 3, 4 times your salary or a lot more, then I really don't think you're going a great job. Who would want to give money to a nonprofit if half of it went to the salary of the fundraiser? Valuable fundraisers bring in hundreds of thousands, even millions. Are you that good? If so, then maybe you do deserve a raise.
That explains why there's no profit!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Definitely C. If you brought in less they should fire you. That's your job, they are paying you to bring in money, and if you only bring in the same as your salary (or less) there is nothing for the charity to use for their purpose. If you want to be paid based on what you bring in, get a commission sales job.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
The other question to ask yourself is if another employee would be just as successful as you. Or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment