Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 PM

17 posts, read 53,459 times

Advertisements

Small town living is really getting to me.

I live in a small town in upstate NY (no more than a few thousand). There are almost no jobs up here. It seems like the only way you can support yourself is work for the school districts or civil service. In my area, everyone works for the same few places, and those places pay bleh.

I have to commute almost two hours for my job, which is located in a small city that has a bunch of hospitals and colleges etc. The job is good, but the commute kills me. I have no choice though, you either commute a long way, or you don't work.

I feel like sticking around will just put me in a rut and that I need to move, like I have no choice. Anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Why not just move to where your job is?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM

347 posts, read 491,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthrough View Post

I live in a small town in upstate NY (no more than a few thousand). There are almost no jobs up here. It seems like the only way you can support yourself is work for the school districts or civil service. In my area, everyone works for the same few places, and those places pay bleh.

I have to commute almost two hours for my job, which is located in a small city that has a bunch of hospitals and colleges etc. The job is good, but the commute kills me. I have no choice though, you either commute a long way, or you don't work.

I feel like sticking around will just put me in a rut and that I need to move, like I have no choice. Anyone else feel the same way?
And to think eight years won't change america for the worse, no?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:47 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthrough View Post

I live in a small town in upstate NY (no more than a few thousand).

I did... and I moved to where jobs were.

Rincon, GA pop 8,800 is part of Savannah metro pop 360,000.

It doesn't really compare with Seattle metro pop 3,900,000... no surprise there are a lot of jobs here.

Speaking of upstate NY... I'm originally from there... Watertown pop 27,000. I'll never live there again due to the weak job market but I am flying back on Tuesday for a week for the holidays.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Why not just move to where your job is?
I'm in the same situation the OP is in, I want to move, but can't...long story...anyway, it's not that simple and sometimes damn near impossible for some of us who want to move.

I know for me, I have to have a job on the other end before I relocate. I can't just get up and leave when I have attachments at the moment in my small town, also I don't have enough savings to last me a week, and employers are hesistant in dealing with out-of-state applicants.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
Yup. I feel for you exactly. Except that I'm really stuck here because my wife doesn't want to move, we have no money, and I can't be sure my prospects are any better anywhere else. Small town living has made me almost incapable of having "real" jobs. No opportunities growing up, but I never really got into mechanics, so factory and farm work and all that doesn't really work for me.

If you're not good with your hands, you don't really fit in in small town America.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM

17 posts, read 53,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I did... and I moved to where jobs were.

Rincon, GA pop 8,800 is part of Savannah metro pop 360,000.

It doesn't really compare with Seattle metro pop 3,900,000... no surprise there are a lot of jobs here.

Speaking of upstate NY... I'm originally from there... Watertown pop 27,000. I'll never live there again due to the weak job market but I am flying back on Tuesday for a week for the holidays.
Wow, that's really far up. My town is even smaller than that....like 5k people. I love it when people say "I live in such a small town it only has 100k people teehee."

Ironically, I live in the southern part of the state, below Albany, so you'd think there would be more stuff. NYC just isn't my place either, way too big and expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Yup. I feel for you exactly. Except that I'm really stuck here because my wife doesn't want to move, we have no money, and I can't be sure my prospects are any better anywhere else. Small town living has made me almost incapable of having "real" jobs. No opportunities growing up, but I never really got into mechanics, so factory and farm work and all that doesn't really work for me.

If you're not good with your hands, you don't really fit in in small town America.
Tell me about it! Contractors are like a dime a dozen here. My family and I bought into the "go to college and get a good job thing", so I didn't learn a trade. The problem is, there's almost no type of "real jobs"/professions around here.

I'm not STUCK here, but it's definately hard. My job is "good", but it's not high paying. It's stable. I'm working on saving money so I can make a move.

Not too mention that I feel like I'm wasting my youth. There's literally nothing to do here.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
It will be much easier and quicker to move versus waiting for the job situation to change.

The other option might be to create your own job/ business. I'm sure there must be some service businesses in the town..are there any needs not being fulfilled?

Maybe you can run a shuttle between your town and the town with the jobs.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:50 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Just move. IMO young people should move a couple of times in their 20s, away from family, see different parts of the country with their different semi cultures and gain strong independent traits. It makes you stronger to know you can pick up, move someplace completely on your own, and make it work. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
Default Metro Detroit

It's not that there aren't ANY jobs here, but the job market is still very, very tight.

Not that that should surprise anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment