Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:43 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthrough View Post
Small town living is really getting to me.

I live in a small town in upstate NY (no more than a few thousand). There are almost no jobs up here. It seems like the only way you can support yourself is work for the school districts or civil service. In my area, everyone works for the same few places, and those places pay bleh.

I have to commute almost two hours for my job, which is located in a small city that has a bunch of hospitals and colleges etc. The job is good, but the commute kills me. I have no choice though, you either commute a long way, or you don't work.

I feel like sticking around will just put me in a rut and that I need to move, like I have no choice. Anyone else feel the same way?
I get what you're saying because I, too, have lived in rural areas with few opportunities... but you have to consider this.

1) NO place is entirely void of jobs unless it is also entirely void of schools, municipal services, and businesses. If you want to live somewhere and have no commute, you must be able to land one of those local jobs... or have a work-at-home business.

2) Small towns would cease to be small if they suddenly became flush with opportunity. Look at what's happened in the recent "oil boom" and "gas boom" regions. Locals are frequently unhappy with the change because it brings bigger-town problems to their peaceful little towns... problems such as congestion, crime, and noise. Therefore, it's rare when you can find a small town that's affordable and also flush with opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,071 times
I feel you. Obviously I don't live in a small city but there's nothing but like fast food or malls up here. I wouldn't mind working at the local Best Buy (I bet they get a huge salary with their prices) but again you need experience. I find it really stupid. I can safely say that I know as much as the Geek Squad if not more. Who needs work experience when you got enough personal experience? It makes no sense and I'd be willing to learn with handling customers.
I think the closest job in my field is DC. I have always hated this redneck city but I feel stuck because a) I don't think I could make it on my own b) we moved a lot during my teen years and have only lived in this apartment for two years c) I love the apartment complex. Aside from that one stiff guy (he just needs to get laid) the people in the office are really nice. The neighborhood is just nice in general. I don't really talk to my neighbors but they're not rude either. They just mostly keep to themselves and I'm fine with that because I'm pretty reserved IRL anyway.
d) I don't know if I'll find a place that pets are allowed. I can't imagine a life without my babies. They were the biggest reason I was going to get a job in the first place.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirilorn View Post
Yeah, the area I live in only has ~minimum wage customer service/retail positions, most of which are part-time/seasonal. Moving isn't feasible due to a lack of money, plus getting a job out of state is nearly impossible (I've been trying for years).
Do you have good credit ? You could probably get a personal loan from a bank or credit union.

What do you mean about getting a job out of state is nearly impossible ? How could that be ?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Do you have good credit ? You could probably get a personal loan from a bank or credit union.

What do you mean about getting a job out of state is nearly impossible ? How could that be ?
I think you can't get a loan without collateral.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I think you can't get a loan without collateral.

You can with good credit, but the interest rate will be high. You don't want to take a loan to move. Just need to buckle down and save money, or sell some assets.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:00 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,909 times
I live in a decent-sized area where people always complain that you can't get a job unless you are somehow tied to department of defense. Honestly, I think that is BS for people who didn't try that hard in my area. Many of them are 20-something recent college graduates who say they can't find an entry level job but are unwilling to start at the bottom and work towards something else.

It is different in smaller areas, though.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:21 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilworker1986 View Post
This is basically my situation too. I would absolutely love to move to a bigger city, except the job markets in those areas are pretty tight as well and employers prefer to hire locally. I've gotten a few interviews in bigger cities, but they always offer the job to someone else, probably because I'm not from the area and would need some time to find living arrangements. Sometime, you just can't win for losing.
I totally understand. I know people always tell me I should find a friend or relative to stay with, but I don't feel comfortable living under somebody's roof without contributing in some way and you can't do that without a job.

Personally I haven't had any problems getting calls for interviews, BUT managers tend to forget to interview me or forget to return my phone calls. So I end up move on to something else. It's unprofessional, but employers are allowed to be that way in this economy.

Just emphasize how much you are going to relocate "as soon as possible." They usually give you a chance if they think you can relocate overnight(even though we know that's not totally possible for most), but do what you have to do to get the job first and then after they offer it to you, then be honest it's going to take maybe up to a week to relocate to find a place to stay, get situated, etc.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:26 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
True. Sometimes you have to move without a job. Its easier when you're young / right out of school.
You're clueless and giving out some terrible advice.

That advice only works if you are a trust fund baby or you have nothing in the first place and have little to nothing to lose.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:38 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,462 times
I'm willing to pay money (up to $2,000 cash) for someone to get me hired. That's all you need to know.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Late this summer I had the choice between moving to a larger town or staying in my current small one. I chose here because I got accepted into a local jobs program that really would have made a difference for me financially. You guessed it. The local job fell through and I have almost no money left to live on. I've been out of work 18 months and ran through all my unemployment. There are SOME jobs here, but they're mostly low paying jobs at the Quik Mart or the fast food place. They always hire the kids for those, anyhow. I don't know how to run a John Deere or put a new roof on a barn, so I'm completely out of luck. It costs money to move, and I already spent what little I had on moving-in costs here. I don't know what to do except pray for a miracle, and those seem to be in short supply around here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment