Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 36,823 times

Advertisements

I have been working in Manhattan for the past three years and need a change. I am originally from Boston.

My company has offices in a few different locations so I will be transferring to either...

1. San Antonio

2. Charlotte

3. Kansas City

4. Phoenix

5. Atlanta

6. St. Louis

Which cities would I enjoy the best? I'm coming from a big city with lots to do so I want a place that allows me a few options. Basically, I am 25 I like to go out, eat good food and enjoy a city life. Obviously coming from NYC everything will seem small but I also want that feeling. Any suggestions will help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM

715 posts, read 1,078,556 times
To bad you don't have a Chicago location as I would recommend it with no hesitation. None on the list will compare to Manhattan or NYC in general.

I'm familiar with 1, 3, 5, and 6. Atlanta probably offers the closest to a city feel in my opinion with its downtown and nearby surrounding neighborhoods. Still not a fair comparison, but given the choices, Atlanta would be my pick. You may want to look into Phoenix as well. I have never been, so I can't offer anything there.

All of the listed choices have city forums, so it will be good to ask in those as well since you will get opinions of people who live in them.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,396,111 times
If it's possible, take a few trips to these places to get a better idea of what you would like.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:32 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,508,177 times
Without knowing anything about these cities re working and living there, I would consider Charlotte, San Antonio and Kansas City for history, food and activities. Just my 10 cents.

Atlanta would be cool too but it's such a sprawling city - you'd definitely need a car

Old 10-17-2012, 02:13 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,539,886 times
None of these cities even come close to NYC. Only Washington DC has a similar feel to NYC with the subway, walkability etc.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM

3,960 posts, read 6,903,056 times
My buddy moved from Chicago to Charlotte. He enjoys it out there. You get decent weather and the bars seem to be fun. He does mention that he misses cabs though.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,561,333 times
My top choices would be Atlanta and Charlotte. They have a good city vibe and there are lots of activities for singles.

I've never been to San Antonio, so I have no opinion about it. The others would be boring for a single person from NYC, IMO.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 AM

276 posts, read 432,761 times
Georgia is very republican and in my opinion regressive as a result. This is something I wished I had thought of before moving here. Although taxes and the cost of living may be low, you get what you pay for. I am from Connecticut and lived in Boston and would go back to the northeast in a heartbeat if I didn't have a house to unload in Atlanta's severely depressed housing market.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 AM

18,738 posts, read 33,538,855 times
San Antonio. Hot. Hot. Car-dependent. Lots of good, cheap food.
Most U.S. "cities" are automobile-dependent sprawls, unlike Boston or NYC. Offhand, I'd say that Phoenix is the worst for heat and sprawl both.
I'd consider weather and outdoors environment first. Any metro area will have bars, food, and some arts and music and culture stuff.
I think wherever you go, it's to go to that place for what it is, not for how closely it resembles Boston or NYC, because they just aren't going to be very close at all. Best wishes.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,604,386 times
Out of those on your list, I like Phoenix best for a Northerner. I think anything in the south is probably not a good bet - as a New Yorker who moved south, I can tell you it's different in a bad way. I feel much more at home in the North and the West. Phoenix is culturally a good place. Lots of young people, lots of stuff to do, and a very beautiful part of the country. The downside, of course, is an unbearably hot summer. However, that's true of most of the other places on the list, too. At least in Arizona there aren't a lot of mosquitoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment