Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:09 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,315,669 times

Advertisements

Does this exist? Careers where you don't have to kiss ass or suck up to the "right" people just to advance. I know this is about 97% of America but surely there has to be some profession where your work actually speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 05:10 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,005,929 times
Sadly I dont think they exist unless you can manage a great work from home, remote job. But those are few and far between these days

Old 11-04-2015, 05:45 PM

29,867 posts, read 25,002,140 times
It's your choice whether to get involved in company politics and chatter. Some people go to work, do their jobs, and pay no mind to the unproductive chatter.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,503,454 times
Only thing I could think of is working from home!

Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 PM

108 posts, read 158,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Only thing I could think of is working from home!
Working from home and advancing (OP's criteria) means playing a political game that many don't even have the frame of reference for.

You have to be a snake in the grass, when everyone is in a different field - you're a rumor mongerer.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:56 AM

124 posts, read 150,333 times
Jobs with no influence or power and where you work independently without the need to get help from anyone else. Yes, thee solitary jobs could be non political. But they sound isolated and lonely. If your job involves interacting with other people, there is going to be politics.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:42 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,845,859 times
I am an engineer & I didn't have to face such politics at workplace. I have worked for very good companies where the management is trained in soft skills so the higher you go in the management, the better people you will find. Maybe such politics exist in smaller companies but bigger corporations invest a lot in training their employees in better communication & people's skills. I used to think networking within the company is necessary but its not in my profession. You just have to work hard to get promoted. As simple as that. The results show instantly because either the code works or it doesn't. There is no way to explain away any incompetence. That's one of the things I love about my profession. There is a way to verify your hard work. Its all numbers & hardly any words so there is no scope for exaggeration or lying.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,469,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's your choice whether to get involved in company politics and chatter. Some people go to work, do their jobs, and pay no mind to the unproductive chatter.
and get laid off first over, promoted last, and given minimal raises compared to the @ss kissers who attach themselves to the higher ups or make themselves look good.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:13 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,790,626 times
Another engineer here, and so far it's been pretty merit-based in my experience as well. There may be politics that I'm not aware of, but the job that I do is completely reliant on my skillset. No amount of kissing up will make code work. It either works or it doesn't and your future is based on your competence.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:23 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,855,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
and get laid off first over, promoted last, and given minimal raises compared to the @ss kissers who attach themselves to the higher ups or make themselves look good.
My last job was like that. I caught a lot of crap for being "standoffish," "secretive," "an outsider," and "not a team player." Fortunately, I now work at a place where socializing with coworkers isn't expected and results are the only thing that matters to management. I never get called out for just keeping my head down and doing my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment