Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times

Advertisements

I've been at my current job for about four months. I certainly don't know everything but I can get myself by without much help. At my last job, about six months, but I had relocated and was doing something wildly different than what I had previously done. After a year, I was on cruise control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:55 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,907 times
Default Lol

This is how I sounded about 6 weeks ago. I was so stressed and dwelled on mistakes. It gets easier, I never thought it would. I felt like a failure. After 6 weeks I started to feel like I had most things down without feeling like a constant screw up. Now I'm learning something new and getting the hang of it but still need m work reviewed. I just now started to stop freaking out inside and this week will be 3 months.

I learned so much and enough to be independent but I still have so much to learn, I'm no expert and I still need to ask questions. My trainer said it took her 3 years to master this job and she didn't have guidance... So I'm lucky to have her show me. Hopefully I can master it within a year.

Update: just realized I responded to a super old posting lmao.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:47 PM

54 posts, read 56,122 times
I've been at my job for three years. I still haven't come close to learning everything, although I'd say after six months I was finally comfortable with what I'm doing.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 PM

227 posts, read 745,894 times
Started a new job last year in October took around three months to become adjusted.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:24 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,150,511 times
I think it depends a lot on how focused you are on the training, and how well you are being trained. Just slow down and do the process correctly. The names of everyone will come in time, so will impressing anyone - and even that depends on how much your coworkers want to see you succeed, or perceive you to be a threat to their goals with your ambition.

Procedure and process change frequently in some scenarios. Adaptability is a good skill to learn in these environments. You can work in these environments for a decade and never feel like you can do your job in your sleep, lol.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:08 PM

105 posts, read 105,399 times
I have been lucky, I usually can learn in a month. You know what my secret is, taking notes. Writing down every step that needs to be done. Especially, learning new software or new procedure.

Especially, those complicated tasks that are done once every few months, so of course you forget what you need to do. I just pull out my little notebook and just follow the steps.

Write them clearly and with detail. I usually, scribble down what I am being trained on and then I go back and rewrite them.

People are always amazed how fast I catch on, but honestly my memory sucks, so I use notes. Also, I am lazy. Nothing better than the boss yelling "Hey you, do that thing you did 6 months ago." Instead of scratching my head wondering what the hell I did back then, I just follow what I wrote before and move on.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:17 PM

231 posts, read 202,185 times
Depends on the job and field.

Cashier at McDonalds? You should master the art in less than two weeks if working full time.
E-1 in the US Army? Basic training is 2 and a half months.
President of the United States? You may never feel as if you have fully settled into your job! Haha.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,529 times
I started a new job with a pest control company on Aug. 28th and was only working there part time - 26 hours per week and had to learn their new software. They gave me 13 days on the job to learn it and then I was let go last Friday and their reason was that I was not catching onto the software as quickly as they wanted me to. I typed them a letter stating exactly this and that they didn't give me a chance to learn and that you cannot learn a job in that short amount of time. It seems like people in their 50's do not get the training they deserve and it really sucks. I really loved the job and how fast the time went and things were finally starting to click a little and then they gave up on me. Jobs are so hard to find nowadays and people just don't train like they used to and expect you to learn the job just like that. I had so many pages of notes and was thoroughly confused and just last week, like I said, things starting clicking better. I even got a text from my trainer that things were going well and felt they were clicking, got a gift card for my birthday from them and then got a phone call from the owner letting me go on Friday. So, to all of you out there in their 50"s, keep trying, never give up, if anything I did learn Quickbooks and more of Excel than I ever knew. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment