Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Well why stop there then if here are no negative effects? Why not make the min wage $100k a year? Then everyone would be rich and live in a perfect little world. While were at it, why don't we get ride of immigration laws and allow everyone from poor countries over here and no one in the world would ever be poor anymore, after all, they would get to make $100k a year also by just working at mcdonalds. Anyone catching on yet? The liberal utopia doesn't exist and isn't possible. The first thing you learn in economics 101 is a rise in the minimum wage increases unemployment until the cost of living rises up, which eventually negated the wage hike. And there are no liberal or conservative economic facts. This has been PROVEN to be true. Get an education people!
By that logic if I have a glass of wine for dinner I will inevitably become a raving alcoholic and sell my blood for money. Don't be absurd.

I could say that cutting prices to zero will stimulate demand, but you would rightly say that this is an absurd statement and discount my argument.

As for increases in min wage automatically causing unemployment, it has not been proven. There are a number of cities and counties that have raised min wage with no terrible side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
By that logic if I have a glass of wine for dinner I will inevitably become a raving alcoholic and sell my blood for money. Don't be absurd.

I could say that cutting prices to zero will stimulate demand, but you would rightly say that this is an absurd statement and discount my argument.

As for increases in min wage automatically causing unemployment, it has not been proven. There are a number of cities and counties that have raised min wage with no terrible side effects.
Stop being so dramatic. No one said terrible side effects, just negative side effects for min wage workers seeking employment.

Facts hurt!
According to the model shown in nearly all introductory textbooks on economics, increasing the minimum wage decreases the employment of minimum-wage workers.[20] One such textbook says:

An analysis of supply and demand of the type shown in introductory mainstream economics textbooks implies that by mandating a price floor above the equilibrium wage, minimum wage laws should cause unemployment.[17][18] This is because a greater number of people are willing to work at the higher wage while a smaller numbers of jobs will be available at the higher wage. Companies can be more selective in those whom they employ thus the least skilled and least experienced will typically be excluded. An imposition or increase of a minimum wage will generally only affect employment in the low-skill labor market, as the equilibrium wage is already at or below the minimum wage, whereas in higher skill labor markets the equilibrium wage is too high for a change in minimum wage to affect employment.[19]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage]Minimum wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
What do you mean 'if'? It has already happened in WA state. This state has not economically imploded from the measly $2 an hour more people get at the bottom.

If you don't pay your workers anything, how can they afford to buy anything?
Nobody was claiming that a $2/hr minimum wage hike was going to destroy the economy. The point is, it doesn't help. The potential downside is that such an action will raise the barrier for entry.

The real problem is that people believe all our problems can be solved by simply increasing minimum wage. Our economy isn't driven by the bottom of the barrel job opportunities, and it CERTAINLY should not be driven by people preparing and trading hamburgers with one another. If you really want to improve the economy, grow the middle class and improve living standards, you lay a foundation for job growth in higher paying, high skill, knowledge intensive fields. You also make an effort to prepare young people for these jobs.

Americans are used to a higher standard of living than McBurgerflipping jobs can possibly provide. Unfortunately for many liberal thinkers, the expectations of what that job should afford does not dictate reality. You don't improve the standards of living by raising the floor. You do it by expanding the ceiling, and the opportunities to ascend towards the top.

I may hold a conservative view, but I assure you, it doesn't mean my heart is any smaller than a lib's... It just means my brain is just a bit bigger

Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM

I've noticed a pattern with the min wage supporters. They keep using extremes to try to prove their points, like "terrible effects" and "Implode". They point out no independent data or studies to prove their points. See my post #22 for facts.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The real problem is that people believe all our problems can be solved by simply increasing minimum wage. Our economy isn't driven by the bottom of the barrel job opportunities, and it CERTAINLY should not be driven by people preparing and trading hamburgers with one another.
Nothing will solve all our problems and there's next to nobody who thinks increasing the minimum wage will solve all our problems. It's supposed to be a start at raising wages and working conditions for those on the bottom. Which is why every time somebody mentions it, various people put up absurd things like "why not $100 as a minimum then". This economy is very good for people who don't actually need to work for a living.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Depends who is doing the study, and their agenda. You don't see too many unskilled manufacturing jobs in these high COL cities, now do you... Gee... I wonder why

It's quite ironic. Many urban centers are in dire need of opportunities for unskilled workers. Maybe the folks running these cities should have thought twice before making it uneconomical to operate such a business in these cities...

Quote:
I've noticed a pattern with the min wage supporters. They keep using extremes to try to prove their points, like "terrible effects" and "Implode". They point out no independent data or studies to prove their points. See my post #22 for facts.
You have provided theories, not facts. Economics as a study is a theory, not a hard science.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Depends who is doing the study, and their agenda. You don't see too many unskilled manufacturing jobs in these high COL cities, now do you... Gee... I wonder why

It's quite ironic. Many urban centers are in dire need of opportunities for unskilled workers. Maybe the folks running these cities should have thought twice before making it uneconomical to operate such a business in these cities...

You have provided theories, not facts. Economics as a study is a theory, not a hard science.
It is in no way a theory. It's way more than you have. It's a fact in large scales. It's a fact in how the economy behaves. Have you taken a college level Econ class? What was your grade? No and low.

And you just disagreed with two opposing viewpoints in one post. Are you for real?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
It's way more than you have. It's a fact in large scales. It's a fact in how the economy behaves. Have you taken a college level Econ class? What was your grade? No and low.
Name one fact you have stated. And yes, I have taken econ 101, microeconomics and macroeconomics in college. My GPA was 3.95. Even when you attempt to state a fact, you botch it.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
They point out no independent data or studies to prove their points. See my post #22 for facts.
There are plenty of studies showing that reasonable increases in the minimum wage, such as seen in several states already, don't hurt employment.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-battle-front/

Raising the federal minimum wage to $10.10 would give working families, and the overall economy, a much-needed boost | Economic Policy Institute

Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Have you taken a college level Econ class? What was your grade?
I've taken college and graduate level classes in economics. I think I got A's in all of them. You need to read the part of the text book where "caeteris paribus" is defined and it explains just how many things were ignored to make that simply little graph with the two curves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment