Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times

Advertisements

I think the $15 is their highest point just to get their employers to the bargaining table, they probably would be happy to get to $11 as a compromise.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,212,370 times
Certified nursing assistants/nurses aides spend $1000-2000 in training, plus (depending on the state) annual charges for state certification. They usually have to pay for their own scrubs. And they do incredibly difficult, and sometimes incredibly distasteful, work, and the good ones do it with grace and compassion, and they work all shifts. They are bottom feeders in hospitals and nursing homes, but they are the ones getting paid to bathe, toilet, feed and care for everyone's loved ones.

And they make $8-12 (if they are lucky) an hour. No, I'm not a CNA, I am just familiar with the job.

If fast food workers get a raise, then it will be criminal if CNAs and other low-paid but essential workers don't get a commensurate raise.

And if fast food workers get a raise, then expect prices for everything to jump!

Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,350,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I find it amusing that there are fast food workers who think they should be getting paid $15 an hour when a lot of college grads are making less than that. Don't try to make me pay for all of your mistakes in life that lead to McD's/fast food being your only long term career option.
Wow!..whose fault is it that "the grads" are making less?
People should be happy for them, and more supportive, and quit being so petty.
Obviously you're the one who made the "mistakes in life" if a fast food worker could make more money than the college grad.
I think it'd be very challenging (to say the least) trying to raise a family and maybe pay off a mortgage on less...don't you?
Why would it bother you to see someone make more money?
are you envious?...or jealous?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 PM

122 posts, read 349,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
When i do get fast food(which isn't that often) 2 things usually happen. The person taking my order can barely speak English, and they get my order wrong. 15 an hour, nah...i don't think so.
Yes!!! Or they dont give you napkins, straws, ketchup.. etc..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,577,847 times
It's nice to see workers taking a stand and organizing. Lots of workers have been getting the short end of the stick over the past dozen or so years.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM

2,247 posts, read 2,426,966 times
$15 might be a bit much, but they definitely need to raise minimum wage. The cost of living keeps on going up, so it is necessary to raise minimum wage. I think they should raise it to $11. That's not asking very much. And I don't think prices will have to go up that much. Raising the minimum wage will not hurt companies like McDonald's..they make billions of dollars each year.. I'm sure they can afford a $3 raise.

And I think it's pathetic that college graduates are struggling to get a job that even pays $15 an hour. They should get paid $25 an hour minimum.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:40 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,811,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
So, Fast food workers planning another strike, expecting $15.00 an hour. Does anyone truly
think this will ever fly?
Nope. And not because it isn't a good idea, or because McDonald's can't afford it.

The reason it wont happen is because stupid people won't let it because they think FF workers should make less than they do. What they do not realize is that when the bottom aka McDonalds comes up, so does everyone else's since it means they have to compete for their more skilled workers.

Inevitably, human stupidity, leads to a race to the bottom, and the ones at the top laugh all the way to the bank. We have the minimum wage not that the market will bear but that fools tolerate.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
$15 might be a bit much, but they definitely need to raise minimum wage. The cost of living keeps on going up, so it is necessary to raise minimum wage. I think they should raise it to $11. That's not asking very much. And I don't think prices will have to go up that much. Raising the minimum wage will not hurt companies like McDonald's..they make billions of dollars each year.. I'm sure they can afford a $3 raise.

And I think it's pathetic that college graduates are struggling to get a job that even pays $15 an hour. They should get paid $25 an hour minimum.

"should?"

By what metric? If someone has gone through four years of college to get *any sort of degree* isn't it on them to figure out how to get a job?
Not everyone needs or should go to college.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:07 PM

463 posts, read 561,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Nope. And not because it isn't a good idea, or because McDonald's can't afford it.

The reason it wont happen is because stupid people won't let it because they think FF workers should make less than they do. What they do not realize is that when the bottom aka McDonalds comes up, so does everyone else's since it means they have to compete for their more skilled workers.

Inevitably, human stupidity, leads to a race to the bottom, and the ones at the top laugh all the way to the bank. We have the minimum wage not that the market will bear but that fools tolerate.
Well stated. Most people lack the balls and fortitude to stand up to real injustices like corporate fraud and Wall St. recklessness which have destroyed millions of peoples livelihoods in the past decade.

Like petty low-level schoolyard bullies, its easier and simpler to pick on the lowest rungs of society that need a few extra bucks an hour to afford a doctor.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,865,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A small suburb of Seattle called SeaTac (where our major airport is) just passed a $15/hr minimum wage that will take effect in Jan 2014. The group that did it says that they plan to try the same thing in the city of Seattle. I expect it will probably happen. Seattle is overwhelmingly left-wing, and just elected a self-proclaimed Marxist to the city council over a 16-yr incumbent moderate liberal democrat.
I think "the sky is falling" folks are kind of funny. Businesses will shut down, workers will be laid off left and right, yadda yadda. Yet I guarantee that in 5 years, it will still be business as usual in that area, the controversy having long been forgotten...

These workers will now be able to afford to pay rent and eat without relying on government subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment