Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,761,723 times

Advertisements

It seem like such an easy job to be a librarian, so what do they do that the job requires a Master's Degree?

Here's a Chicago job example: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersect.../jobdetail.ftl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,359,505 times

Old 12-30-2013, 07:05 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,030,667 times
Because a Master's Degree is the new B.A. in terms of minimum requirements -- and with so many people unemployed who have a Master's employers can demand it.

Entire THREADS have been posted about the 'requirements' that employers put on certain positions that there really is no REAL reason for that requirement.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM

315 posts, read 564,775 times
One of the Librarians at my local Library has been there for nearly 35 years and she is wonderful at her job. She doesn't even have a BA. Makes you wonder how many amazing people they skip out on who just have BA's and High School Diplomas.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 PM

Yeah, but with -- probably -- so many amazing people still left to choose from, they're likely not suffering or missing much.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,437,069 times
One of my friends worked in a library (I'm lauging now) and she was really bitter because she could not be a librarian. That's when I found out that to be a librarian, you need a Master's degree in Library Science. Thinking about this still makes me laugh.

But I guess if they let just anybody be a librarian, it would take all of the cachet out of the profession. I don't think this is a problem. If you really love books and libraries, I think the degree would only take a couple of years and it seems like something you would have thought about beforehand.

I thought the MA(?) was a nationwide requirement. Maybe I am wrong. What I think is kind of worse is that you need a Masters to pretty much get any social work job. There isn't even an official title...people just prefer a more expensive degree. Too many applicants? But as far as librarianship goes, I think the honor of the profession should remain untarnished.

Anyone can work in a library, *supercilious sneer*, but only a few can be *superman music* "Librarians."

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM

To be fair, most jobs can be taught from one person to another, or one can be trained to do a job.
Now, granted a person may need a certain level of basic (or advanced) GENERAL education (or knowledge) to be CAPABLE of being trained at a certain level, and able to 'pick up' the skills and abilities to do the job fairly quickly and within a reasonable time.

(You should know how to spell and write well to be a librarian, or have SOME aptitude for science to be a doctor, etc)

I loved working in the library when I was in school and always loved books and I'm curious and love looking things up, and 'referencing' things. No insult to librarians -- but it's not that hard (for me anyway). But then most things aren't that difficult for anyone if you have an aptitude for it.

I've seen people who ask about where how to find out a given people of information. Is it THAT hard to know how to look something up? But people you'd think would know better -- seem to have no idea where to start.

It's the old experience vs education issue. Employers USE the 'education' requirement to get someone with at least a certain level of 'knowledge.' Even with experience most people need to learn a given workplace's protocols, procedures and workflow. But at least with experience and knowledge that's ALL you need to get up to speed on -- how they do it at the new job, and not skills needed for the job itself.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Because a Master's Degree is the new B.A. in terms of minimum requirements -- and with so many people unemployed who have a Master's employers can demand it.
Nope, this has NOTHING to do with the question at hand - seeing as a librarian position has ALWAYS required the MLIS/MLS, even back when my late grandfather entered the career in like 1940. I am actually a librarian with the MLIS, and tbh we get really really sick of answering this question! To the OP, I just have to say "If you think it's an easy job, that only means you have zero clue as to what we actually do." Lemme guess, you think librarians put books on shelves, check books in/out, and read the rest of the day? If so, you are wrong on all counts.

Now for the less snarky answer, the reason we need this degree is because it's a HIGHLY specialized field. There are no (maybe one or two) undergraduate library degrees, and what we need to be successful cannot be learned on the job - maybe eventually, but much faster & more cost-effective to cram into a 2-year graduate degree instead. What do we do, exactly? I'll cut & paste the job description for a public librarian below, but you also have to consider the other types of librarians... academic (college or primary school), corporate, legal, medical, archival, cataloging, etc.

1. Assists patrons in locating and using library facilities and materials, in selecting materials, and in answering a wide variety of questions.
2. Recommends library materials to be purchased, repaired or discarded; may be responsible for the selection and maintenance of library materials of assigned section(s) of the collection and suggests which materials shall be noncirculating materials.
3. Performs reference work; performs research; prepares detailed bibliographies, book lists and other information.
4. Plans and conducts children's. young adults, and adults' programs; meets with school principals; visits and works with various adult and community groups to promote the use of and interest in the library.
5. Catalogs and classifies library material; determines and assigns main entry, cross references and subject headings; adapts Library of Congress cards for the library and participates in determining cataloging policy.
6. Writes reports and correspondence; may supervise the maintenance and/or preparation of various files and records.
7. Plans or assists in planning and setting up displays and exhibits; assists in maintaining a pleasant and orderly atmosphere in the branch or department,
8. May supervise subordinate staff. (FYI: The "subordinate" staff usually includes clerks & pages, who ARE the ones shelving books & doing check in/out)

Knowledge of:
Library tools, methods and procedures; A wide variety of reading material; Library reference materials; Principles and procedures of reference used to locate specific topics; Classification and cataloging systems and principles; Basic computer operations needed to access library networks, applications, software, and productivity tools, as well as common office software applications such as email clients, word processing programs and internet browsers; Digital devices such as personal computers, laptops, tablets, smartphones and eBook readers used by patrons to access library services; Planning, organizing and implementing children's, adult and young adult programs to meet patron needs; Principles and techniques of book selection and evaluation to establish balanced library collections; Library services, programs and policies which serve the community; Common office computer applications and automated Library circulation systems; Principles of supervision; Monitoring budgets; Effective training techniques.

And this is just scratching the surface!! Still think it's an easy job any yahoo can do??

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-30-2013 at 09:17 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 PM

30,415 posts, read 52,044,124 times
All of the above being said, it actually is a wonderful job and not "hard" compared to more physically taxing or stressful careers. But to say it's "easy" is insulting, considering how much we do behind the scenes... a public patron only sees us sitting at the reference desk, while the majority of our REAL work is done at a private desk (or stealthily from the reference computers if it's slow).

Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,231,681 times
I have an honest question gizmo. Is there an undergrad degree in library science available? Is that required to enter a master's program? If not, what kind of undergrad degree would you need?

Are the people at the reference desk fully qualified "librarians" or is there maybe one or two who oversee other employees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment