Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 AM

33 posts, read 121,410 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for others' experiences with this. I know there will probably be a wide range of advice with some folks saying it's fine and others saying it's bad, but that's fine, I want to hear it all!
My husband and I have lived in the Northeast for our entire lives. We are strongly considering a move from CT, where we've lived for about 7 years (basically since graduating from college), to Florida, where my best friend lives and we can enjoy the warm weather and just experience a new place for a while. However, New England is our home, and we expect that we would only stay in Florida for maybe 2 years before eventually moving back home to one of the New England states to start a family and settle down.

But I'm a bit worried about how this type of move will look on a resume - will employers think it's weird for randomly having a 2-year stint in Florida? Especially if I'm not quite able to find a job at the same level that I have up here (I'm thinking that as long as it's somewhat related to what I've been doing and pays the bills, I can deal with it for a couple of years... I'll be happy to have a job!). I guess I'm just wondering in general what employers would think of seeing that type of stint on a resume.

Our background: I'm 29 and my husband is 30. We have no kids and no mortgage, but my career has gotten somewhat established here. I have a Master's in social work, 5 post-Master's years of progressively responsible experience in the nonprofit sector, and because of the types of jobs I've had and the fact that I attended grad school here in CT, I have a pretty good professional network here. Basically, while my friends were spending their early 20s traveling the country and world, working odd jobs, etc., I have done nothing but go to school and dutifully work on my career - and now that I'm almost 30, and we're married and facing the reality of being adults, I am feeling like I'd like to have one "last" adventure in some nice warm weather before we settle down, buy a house, and have babies. I wish we'd done this when we were 23, but we didn't. Florida kind of makes sense for us because it's the one warm area of the country that we're most familiar with, having visited at least 15 times over the past decade or so, and I already have my best friend there, who has a great group of friends and even works in a similar field as me.
It seems like perfect timing for my husband, who will be finishing up nursing school this fall and starting his nursing career - he'll be just starting out anyway; he hasn't got much to lose at this point. But for me, I am wondering if this will be a smart move career-wise. Even if it isn't... I'm wondering how much I care!

Have others done this sort of thing? How have you explained it to employers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,764 times
I think you can explain away a shorter term move to a prospective employer without too much trouble.

I'm a little more concerned with how much money and effort you are going to expend for a two year adventure...right before starting a family, probably one of the most tiring and expensive adventures you will ever have!

Buy a small condo in FL and spend vacation, long weekends, and holidays with your best friend. Best of both worlds!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Such a move is not seen as negative if your work history shows that it was for a higher level job, and you are continuing that upward trend at the job you are applying for. It's certainly not a deal-breaker if you are clearly the best qualified, but if the competition is tough it could count against you.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Thanks for your input!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Such a move is not seen as negative if your work history shows that it was for a higher level job, and you are continuing that upward trend at the job you are applying for. It's certainly not a deal-breaker if you are clearly the best qualified, but if the competition is tough it could count against you.
I agree with Hemlock140, except for his/her last phrase.

Best wishes on a potentially excellent adventure, by the way!

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-07-2014, 02:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
I agree with Hemlock140. Two years is the perfect time frame for a change and won't be viewed negatively at all.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 AM

I am just a bit nervous about whether I might end up needing to take a job that is at a lower level than what I have now - not because I mind doing that sort of job, but more because of how it could look to future employers. But, I guess I can't see the future and have NO idea yet what I'll end up with... and even if I do initially take a job that is a step or two backwards, it could turn into something better; it often does relatively quickly in the nonprofit world. Money-wise, I'm not too worried because the cost of living (or renting, at least) is so much cheaper in FL!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Short term moves aren't that bad as long as you can explain them well. I contracted a lot when I was in my early 20's and I explain that to employers, as well as moving across the country for 3 years so my wife could get the education she needed (we wanted to try living there). So far only one employer has had an issue with it, and they thought it took 5+ years to learn a job...odd people.

The one thing to do is ask your friends about the market there for your position, and how much it would be better to have a job before you go. Locations vary a lot in the market and attitudes. Certainly based on living locations and their proximity to the position. Doubly so if there is a glut, or a need, for people with your skillset.

My last two moves around, the first the market was slim for my position and you needed to have a job before moving...unless you want to live on unemployment a bit. I got a job before moving and it was fine, but my wife struggled for a bit because she didn't have a firm offer before moving. Second place they wouldn't even call if you were out of state, even if you were not in a nearby city. Even applying even 25 miles away to move in (was with a friend) we got 0 callbacks. Moved to the city and we were both employed in a week, with people calling nearly 3 years after that because our resumes were in their system.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM

That is good advice, thank you! It's helpful to hear from others who have been through the same thing. I've heard similar advice before about finding employment before vs. after the move... sounds like anything is possible, but that people tend to have better luck once they're local. Hmmm... lots to think about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment