Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:35 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I knew a guy like that at work.

Turned out he was living in his car and preferred not to get into discussions that would reveal it.
I had an assistant like that years ago! My husband and I let her stay in our basement (it had a living room, kitchen, bathroom and small bedroom) for several months until she was able to save enough to rent a studio on her own. She never took advantage of us and was one of the hardest working people I knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always say it's the quiet ones that are the most dangerous.

and I always say "ignorance is bliss". What do you do at work? Sit around all day and waste company time talking about sports, your kids, the news, gossip about co-workers, etc?? When you're at work, you're supposed to be WORKING.... I cannot stand talkative co-workers!!! Do your job and please don't interrupt me when I'm trying to do mine!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:47 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
and I always say "ignorance is bliss". What do you do at work? Sit around all day and waste company time talking about sports, your kids, the news, gossip about co-workers, etc?? When you're at work, you're supposed to be WORKING.... I cannot stand talkative co-workers!!! Do your job and please don't interrupt me when I'm trying to do mine!
+1 sounds like one of those "great fit" hires.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,939 times
I'm one of those quiet types. I'll make small talk but I guess I'm in my own world most of the time. There has to be a balance to everything. You don't want to be anti social but you don't want to be super talkative all the time either. I can see how the more extroverted people can get promoted more.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
In my work experience, the coworkers who barely ever talk are usually the best kind of coworkers to have. They show up, do a great job, and don't cause drama or gossip. They're just there to do their jobs. They're also not much of a threat to advance since most supervisory/managerial positions require verbal communication of some type, and they're not interested in that. Therefore, they're not competition if other employees are looking for a promotion within the company. The only thing bothersome about them to paranoid coworkers is the "silent killer" stereotype created by the media. "Why is Johnny so quiet? Is he planning on shooting us all?" I've heard statements similar to this uttered in the workplace about quiet coworkers before.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:11 PM

358 posts, read 512,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
I'll be honest regardless of your command.

I don't like loudmouths. I really dislike whistlers. I distrust people who are overly chatty and nosey. They so often turn out to be manipulative backstabbers. I don't like fake-friendly shallow glad-handers.

My job requires me to talk to people. In retail I deal with customers constantly. I am also in leadership so I have to talk with my team and the greater team of my store always. But I am introverted and I do keep to myself as much as I can. I will discuss personal bits about my life with my team members, but outside of that I will not get personal with the rest of the store for the most part.

Basically I keep my work life and my personal life separate. If I could sit in an office and keep to myself I would, generally, but I would have friends among the coworkers and we would chitchat some. I did have a job like that but I didn't like it for other reasons, but the quiet was nice.

If a coworker barely says anything to anyone beyond what is required by the job, I respect that.

Creepy people are creepy for a lot of other reasons. How social they are doesn't correlate.

Last edited by mbradleyc; 02-05-2014 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I'm one of those quiet types. I'll make small talk but I guess I'm in my own world most of the time. There has to be a balance to everything. You don't want to be anti social but you don't want to be super talkative all the time either. I can see how the more extroverted people can get promoted more.

Yep. And the extroverted ones are usually pals with THEIR supervisors so, of course, they're going to get promoted. It's a shame but it's true. That's how it usually works: Promotions based on BFF status rather than on actual merit.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 PM

20 posts, read 35,793 times
I'm one of the quiet ones myself. I'm extremely introverted. I'm really observant and notice everything but I like keeping to myself. Just because someone is quiet and keeps to themselves doesn't mean that they are someone crazy. Not everyone is a chummy extrovert who can or wants to charm the socks off the boss to move up. There's nothing wrong with either type. I just wish quiet people were more accepted, and not looked at as being crazy or having some sort of issue or mental issue with them. Grated, some do, but so don't extroverts.

When I go to work, I like to work. I actually really enjoy working too, but I go there for a paycheck, not for a social event or to move up. Honestly I'm happy (and less stressed!) being just a "regular" worker. I don't have any interest in being an executive or manager, or anything with a fancy title. Which I know is looked down upon as well, from my own personal experience. I talk to people, and say hi and am very friendly, but I'm not one to sit there and have an hour long conversation about nothing. I also hate drama and try to avoid it at all costs.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
They're also not much of a threat to advance since most supervisory/managerial positions require verbal communication of some type, and they're not interested in that. Therefore, they're not competition if other employees are looking for a promotion within the company.
Not all promotions involve being a manager or supervisor. A promotion (to me) just means a job where you make more money. I'm not into titles.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Yep. And the extroverted ones are usually pals with THEIR supervisors so, of course, they're going to get promoted. It's a shame but it's true. That's how it usually works: Promotions based on BFF status rather than on actual merit.
Funny you say that - I once had a VERY shy, awkward, introverted boss, and her superior was the SAME way. And of course, they stuck together like glue because they were so similar in personality. They were also both huge gripers - they would complain about everyone to each other (I sat next to one of their offices) and made lots of assumptions about people without checking facts. I often got the sense that they were like two sisters who had a made-up language that only they could understand! They were quite out-of-touch with the rest of the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment