Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM

29,861 posts, read 24,994,629 times

Advertisements

For those who take career pointers from the failed content writers at yahoo.com...

5 Industries to Avoid in Your Job Search - Monster.com

Not surprised to see science on there. Talk about a noble profession that has really gone down the gutter. More than ever, work is becoming more efficient, or easier to outsource/offshore.

Most manufacturing jobs suck. You couldn't pay me enough to work in production... And most manufacturers couldn't afford to anyways. While many boomers are going to be retiring, there is a reason that those in this industry aren't telling their children to follow in their footsteps. There are good jobs to be found, but good luck learning the skills required to qualify for those jobs. Most employers hire for what you can do, not what you are capable of learning.

Also not surprised to see caregivers singled out. While the work is tremendously rewarding, the pay while working for most any agency is absolutely dismal. Most of your coworkers are broke and struggling. About the only way to make a semi livable income is to find clients on your own, and work privately. I did this while in college, and I'm glad I did. The experience was amazing, and it was about the most rewarding job I've ever had. I still keep in touch with some of the families I have worked for. Your clientele is usually near the end of their life though. It hurts to see people close to you pass on. In this case, it also hurts your income earning potential as well.

What I wonder... What is so bad about finance and insurance? And why didn't "content writer for yahoo.com" make the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment